Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

I heard that they actually beef up the population very early in the game. It's why you can have 60k but only 6000 workers. I'd rather it just said the truth tbh.

Eoin247 wrote: »
    I think meteors can.

That explains it! I was most shocked to scroll over a building and it to say abandoned due to radiation. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Not sure how useful this is, but it's a cool little trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I heard that the actually beef up the population very early in the game. It's why you can have 60k but only 6000 workers. I'd rather it just said the truth tbh.

That explains my constantly not having enough workers and yet still requiring more industrial space. The whole balance of this game is so incredibly broken its not even funny.

They should have used the tunnel and bridge building methods that they had in Cities XL. I know that it is a bit of a rushed game and a mess but it had a lot of great city building features.

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »
    That explains my constantly not having enough workers and yet still requiring more industrial space. The whole balance of this game is so incredibly broken its not even funny.

The one thing that really did make me sad was finding out that there's little relationship between industry and commercial. Hope they bring it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

The large tiles are huge in SC4 and it's easy to edit a whole region to just be huge tiles. Terraforming is pretty epic and extensive on SC4, there is no river option I guess, but making rivers is easy. And the regions allow you to pretty much make any kind of urban and rural environment you want.

As for mods, you can play it without them fine, the NAM is the mod you speak of. It's a pretty good mod and easy to install , and it does a lot more than improve the traffic. SC4 is easily the pinnacle of the series.

If there's a way to edit regions in the unmodded game without doing it on a tile by tile basis, I haven't seen it yet.
    The automatic street creation while zoning is also massively annoying, unless you're doing flat rectangular zones with no fuzzy edges.

Here's some definitive proof that sims do in fact just go to the nearest empty house.

Which actually makes me wonder, could you build a city with just a single road winding between industrial, commercial and residential zones, to avoid traffic congestion? It seems that its junctions with other roads which cause traffic to build up more than the amount of traffic on the road.

Edit: And more proof

I'm actually going to try this tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Blisterman wrote: »
    Not sure how useful this is, but it's a cool little trick.

YOUTUBE yNxViv3tHGc YOUTUBE

I don't have this game, gonna wait to see will EA/Maxis fix it first. But, I'm just wondering if that technique works, does the tunnelling technique from SC4 also work? :D

Any boardsies here try it.
    ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Blisterman wrote: »
    Here's some definitive proof that sims do in fact just go to the nearest empty house.

Which actually makes me wonder, could you build a city with just a single road winding between industrial, commercial and residential zones, to avoid traffic congestion? It seems that its junctions with other roads which cause traffic to build up more than the amount of traffic on the road.

Edit: And more proof

I'm actually going to try this tonight.

Good to see they're using their servers extra computational power to process this extremely complicated method. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

This guy seems to have found out a pretty clever layout. He got to 400,000 population with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Most DBA's would know or have a general idea of the limits of their systems, the amount of concurrent traffic they can handle etc... In terms of scalability it is not beyond the realms of possibility to do some calculations to account for the increase in players, you plan accordingly. They would/should have known how many players the servers can handle and scaled up to provide for an increase. Maybe they did know, maybe they didn't and made a huge error, but if it was the latter I would be very tentative about even releasing the game without having some sort of backup plan like limiting sales, like the Guild Wars 2 launch, until more servers can be brought online.
    I believe the current city limitation size is their back up plan. :)
    Reekwind wrote: »
    What sort of world are we living in when such a game can only be multi- or single-player?

Is it really that long ago that games could come with both single-player and multi-player modes?
    Oh I'm not saying it's an either-or situation here, I'm asking the question whether a completely offline experience would be better than the online region-interacting one if you factored out the connection issues. I ask because, generally speaking, online and offline modes in games offer fundamentally different experiences while in this case, the line is far more blurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

So that means you can add residential zones and still be short workers? I tried to do it much of the same experiment by using the detailed population view, and at one stage I had less than 100 unfilled jobs, so I added more residential and I had even more unfilled jobs. The game is broken!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Exactly, For a MMO the online experience is fundamental to how the game works reacting to another player direct inputs. For SimCity or most other one player franchises, this is not the case. There is no direct effect to your your game if I demolish a house. Your sims in Gizmoville don't go running out protesting cause I demolished their cousins house in Pumaville :) Nothing like this is even possible because that is not how the game is built. It is a single player game with mainly social aspects built on top of it. These aspects are nice to have in a multiplayer environment but not neccesary to how the gameplay elements work.

Mc Love wrote: »
    So that means you can add residential zones and still be short workers? I tried to do it much of the same experiment by using the detailed population view, and at one stage I had less than 100 unfilled jobs, so I added more residential and I had even more unfilled jobs. The game is broken!

I think it's worth pointing out that in all iterations of Sim City this still held true. Again, haven't played the current game, but in Sim City 4 for example once you had higher wealth residents move into an area they tended to be more picky and choosy about what jobs they wanted. It was fairly cool actually because if you wanted to you could end up with a situation where all the lower class were employed and happy and the rich the were jobless and frustrated. Iirc, the game was set up so that only about 15% of the wealthy residents would take up a job in the 'dirty' section of industry. With time that would vary, so that eventually they would find employment but it would be a very slow process if you weren't attracting the right type of jobs into your city.

If, of course, the problem you're experiencing is with the lowest class, then yeah, it sounds like the game is broken there. :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

With all the limitations in this i might give cities xl a look.
    Sick of Sim Town and being extremely limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Dcully wrote: »
    With all the limitations in this i might give cities xl a look.
    Sick of Sim Town and being extremely limited.

I've not played it but the reviews of City XL put me off it for years. I think it does have a smallish dedicated fanbase though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The more videos I watch the more convinced I am that not only were the server ideas half arsed, but the game coding was lazy and poorly implemented. I'm utterly disappointed by what Simcity has brought to the table. To be perfectly honest Cities XL does a better job simulating a city than SimCity can.

The only reason Cities XL gets poor reviews is because they just reboot the same game over and over every year. If you buy one of the Cities XL games and stick with it it's rather good, there's just no point in buying an iteration of it every year. It's certainly not as in depth as SC4 but its a good alternative in today's age.

I still think Tropico 3/4 are fantastic though :)

Speaking of which Tropico 4 collectors bundle is €10 on Steam this week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I bought Tropico 4 in the Steam sale and it really is brilliant.

Another thumbs up for Tropico 4 ,great game!

The more videos I watch the more convinced I am that not only were the server ideas half arsed, but the game coding was lazy and poorly implemented. I'm utterly disappointed by what Simcity has brought to the table. To be perfectly honest Cities XL does a better job simulating a city than SimCity can.

The only reason Cities XL gets poor reviews is because they just reboot the same game over and over every year. If you buy one of the Cities XL games and stick with it it's rather good, there's just no point in buying an iteration of it every year. It's certainly not as in depth as SC4 but its a good alternative in today's age.

Any game you have to restart regularly to get around a memory leak despite the problem being three years old and the game actively rebooted is a bit of a no-no for me. I've wanted it to be good, every time I see it go on sale I am so close to buying it but dealing with that kind of coding problem not being fixed despite so many updates just turns me off the idea completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

The only reason Cities XL gets poor reviews is because they just reboot the same game over and over every year. If you buy one of the Cities XL games and stick with it it's rather good, there's just no point in buying an iteration of it every year.

Most of those reviews are probably from the same pool of people that have been giving SC5 bad reviews over the DRM? At least with CXL, when they release a new version, they offer the upgrade to existing customers for serious dirt cheap.

I had CXL 2011 in my account from a Steam sales ages ago, and the upgrade to Platinum was only a fiver.

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Most of those reviews are probably from the same pool of people that have been giving SC5 bad reviews over the DRM? At least with CXL, when they release a new version, they offer the upgrade to existing customers for serious dirt cheap.

I had CXL 2011 in my account from a Steam sales ages ago, and the upgrade to Platinum was only a fiver.

Theres a hell of a lot more wrong with SC than DRM.

Dcully wrote: »
    Theres a hell of a lot more wrong with SC than DRM.

200k population city using only Residential zoning with no other cities in the region: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACdu1ho2Ic4&feature=youtu.be

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Bloody hell, 5 minutes on r/simcity is pretty depressing.

I think I now hate Simcity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

i have now lost my city stupid thing keeps freezing, my options are abandon or roll back , when i roll back it is still fecked and says roll back , this is a joke :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Well I am in the Bords game that Dcully told me about and I have no probs at all yet, having said that this is my 1st experience with SC so I dont know what to look out for TBH. I am having a little bit of trouble with freight but I have €300K+ and about €3K p/h sim money and a lovely city.

Hopefully they an take the limitations off the city size coz by the time you need an airport FORGETABOUTIT!

EU West 6 is the server I am in charge of Silicon Valley (.)(.)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I just a green crash screen :mad:.

Advertisement