Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭eigenboggle

I see there is one city unclaimed in that boardsie game. Is it ok to join? Or does someone have their name on it already?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I see there is one city unclaimed in that boardsie game. Is it ok to join? Or does someone have their name on it already?

Work away man, i made that game lastnight then couldnt connect to any game,didnt even claim a spot or anything so work away :)
    All my cities were screwed lastnight, said they were rolling back, 2 of them still are since lastnight, what a waste of time and effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

The more videos I watch the more convinced I am that not only were the server ideas half arsed, but the game coding was lazy and poorly implemented. I'm utterly disappointed by what Simcity has brought to the table. To be perfectly honest Cities XL does a better job simulating a city than SimCity can.

The only reason Cities XL gets poor reviews is because they just reboot the same game over and over every year. If you buy one of the Cities XL games and stick with it it's rather good, there's just no point in buying an iteration of it every year. It's certainly not as in depth as SC4 but its a good alternative in today's age.

I still think Tropico 3/4 are fantastic though :)

The problem is that Cities XL was a game developed in a rush by a broke developer that went bust when it sold badly, so had no one to fix it, and so the company that took the game after that basically use it to make some extra cash.

To use an analogy, it's a nice kid born into a broken home, that got orphaned and has spent its teens growing up with people that don't love it.

RIP petrol station.

IqXkq7Z.gif

FFS every one of my cities is giving a message that its not processing correctly and will perform a rollback.
    Just rolled back my main city in a private game 3 times now and still the same BS, i wonder will they honour a refund ? The game doesnt work anywhere near intended im and getting rightly fed up with it now.

• Advertisement

simcity.GetFudgedPopulation = function (a) {
    a = "undefined" !== typeof a ? a : simcity.gGlobalUIHandler.mLastPopulation;
    if (500 >= a)
    return a;
    if (40845 < a)
    return Math.floor(8.25 * a);
    a = Math.pow(a - 500, 1.2) + 500;
    return Math.floor(a)
    };

Funny code!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The problem is that Cities XL was a game developed in a rush by a broke developer that went bust when it sold badly, so had no one to fix it, and so the company that took the game after that basically use it to make some extra cash.

To use an analogy, it's a nice kid born into a broken home, that got orphaned and has spent its teens growing up with people that don't love it.

Is it worth paying 30 euro for it on steam?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

im so glad i didnt buy this piece of ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

flynnlives wrote: »
    im so glad i didnt buy this piece of ****!

Me to actually haha, I would probably be fuming if i had spent 60(?) quid on this. After diablo 3 always online drm is a no buy for me ever.

Is it worth paying 30 euro for it on steam?

It depends, a fully modded out SC4 is better, but if building large cities in 3D is your thing then it's good. There's also a decent sized modding community for it and as a pure city builder, it's better than SC2013, though as a product in general they seem close in quality. Difference is that SC2013 was made by people that care about the series so might actually get round to fixing it one day.

• Advertisement

Lone Stone wrote: »
    Me to actually haha, I would probably be fuming if i had spent 60(?) quid on this. After diablo 3 always online drm is a no buy for me ever.

Its not the drm that bothers me at all, its the other countless issues.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Omg my city is gone,Told me I had to roll back or some crap like that wtf like :mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭eigenboggle

I haven't had these "rollback" errors but now I am living/playing in fear. Which is as bad I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Well a developer that worked on the project has come out and said that there is no complex computing being done by the cloud, it's all done locally. Only simple tasks like game saves and game messages are done serverside.

Now, this doesn't surprise me. And despite it's numerous problems I still enjoy the game. However I hope that several of the posters in here have learned their lesson. Plenty people in here not only blindly believed the PR spiel from Maxis about the connection being necessary, but argued vehemently against people questioning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

My solar great works site is finally complete. Pity you cant run the whole region off it or can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

http://www.simcity.com/en_US/server-status

why do they have an Antartica server?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

All the servers are in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Havent played now in a few days cause of the bugs but has there been any official word from EA or Maxis on the bugs or continuing server problems?

The fact that people are still having problems with the servers too is gas. The load cannot be as high as it was on launch so what is the problem with the servers? Was it ever that the load was too high that was causing the problem or was it their **** game?

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Azza wrote: »
    It's interesting what he says about it being viable to build outside the city zones, but with the current state of the game engine, it'd be pretty pointless as it just couldn't cope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Dcully wrote: »
    FFS every one of my cities is giving a message that its not processing correctly and will perform a rollback.
    Just rolled back my main city in a private game 3 times now and still the same BS, i wonder will they honour a refund ? The game doesnt work anywhere near intended im and getting rightly fed up with it now.

Cully that is weird coz that game you made that I am in has your city there waiting for you (Frontier Fields) and it has about 8 cities that are flying. I have played the game since midnight launch day and I swear I have had absolutely zero issues with the game at all. Not even connecting to a game, I can add no friends but that is it.

The only issue I have with the game is my lack of skill (or very weird AI) and the fact that when the city is in full flow the size of the tile is a pain in the arse.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Cully that is weird coz that game you made that I am in has your city there waiting for you (Frontier Fields) and it has about 8 cities that are flying. I have played the game since midnight launch day and I swear I have had absolutely zero issues with the game at all. Not even connecting to a game, I can add no friends but that is it.

The only issue I have with the game is my lack of skill (or very weird AI) and the fact that when the city is in full flow the size of the tile is a pain in the arse.

I didnt actually get to make a city on that server wonda, i just created a game and intended to use it as all other servers were full.
    I just never got back to it so im sure unlike some of my other cities its fine as its really untouched.
    If you want i can abandon it and let someone else into your game? i wont be using it anyways.

EDIT: nevermind i see its posted already sorry.

Kirby wrote: »
    Plenty people in here not only blindly believed the PR spiel from Maxis about the connection being necessary, but argued vehemently against people questioning it.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Azza wrote: »

Maxis and EA's lies fall one by one by one. They're almost past the point of false advertising at this stage and into more serious territory, given their public claims about what their product supposedly does, and their refusal to issue refunds in some territories.

Given how quickly, and most importantly how simply, real users were able to expose the lies about pathfinding and traffic / user agent it also shows how flimsy and incomplete all the press reviews were.

As Kirby said, people need to be far more cynical about what large corporations tell them.

I ran a wee experiment lastnight,i made a new city , i mean town :(
    Only used about 25% of the available space, built the basics so the town could survive without me playing.made high density streets etc for this small area.
    Set game to cheetah mode ,went away and watched the Bayern V Arsenal game, came back at half time and my town had 53k people :eek:
    Now theres no way in hell an area so small could have that amount,this proved to me without doubt the numbers are pulled out of the air.

It all stinks of something similar to codemasters telling lies about their F1 game and when released players tore their lies to pieces finding all sorts of dodgy goings on.
    AI times pulled out of the sky for example ,the ai actually didnt participate at all,you saw a car around the track but their times were not being calculated despite codemasters claims,needless to say the list of lies grew from there.
    Looks like SC is going the same route.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

On a whim saw this cheap in a local gameshop (perhaps bad press forced price down?) so picked it up cause a friend kept bugging me to come to his region.

My god it is easily the most frustrating game in its initially hours to play. The tutorial is downright useless and all the crap to just get a game going constantly pissed me off.

But once I was pass all that and actually watched some online video tutorials I was much more comfortable with the game.

I guess the small city space doesnt bug me as much as I assume they are trying to replicate West Coast USA cities more then any other kind where you would have cities like the ones in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

You're not lacking skill, because there is no skill in this game, instead there's s childishly simple and fundamentally broken model, which you have to adapt your play towards. Look through the thread for some tips, such as ditch two of three zone types, or build nothing but smelters, and you'll be successful in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Dcully wrote: »
    I ran a wee experiment lastnight,i made a new city , i mean town :(
    Only used about 25% of the available space, built the basics so the town could survive without me playing.made high density streets etc for this small area.
    Set game to cheetah mode ,went away and watched the Bayern V Arsenal game, came back at half time and my town had 53k people :eek:
    Now theres no way in hell an area so small could have that amount,this proved to me without doubt the numbers are pulled out of the air.

It all stinks of something similar to codemasters telling lies about their F1 game and when released players tore their lies to pieces finding all sorts of dodgy goings on.
    AI times pulled out of the sky for example ,the ai actually didnt participate at all,you saw a car around the track but their times were not being calculated despite codemasters claims,needless to say the list of lies grew from there.
    Looks like SC is going the same route.

I got 193k people using the whole map, with mines, trading depots, mining HQ etc so it can't be that far off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

The always on DRM only ever has one real reason and that is to make more money. Blizzard knows it, EA knows it.

While a small company like Ubisoft might be scared off by customer "backlash", I strongly suspect we're just going to see the larger companies "learn their lesson" by increasing server capacity and preparing better rather than abandoning the always on DRM.

As a community we don't exactly have the best willpower when it comes to certain big releases.. and we don't have the best memories either (the never again pledges after the Diablo 3 fiasco being one)

Personally, I don't give a crap about DRM, just as long as the thing works.

Advertisement