Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Newaglish wrote: »
    I have space in Now Ye're Simming, username Newaglish. 7-region with 4 spots free!

Server? And is it open to the public? Can you throw me an invite?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Do you know what annoys me more than all the lies and server crap? It's addictive. It's a broken, gimped simulator but it's still bloody addictive. I can watch it screw up over and over again but I still want to play it for another half hour.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

nesf wrote: »
    Do you know what annoys me more than all the lies and server crap? It's addictive. It's a broken, gimped simulator but it's still bloody addictive. I can watch it screw up over and over again but I still want to play it for another half hour.

haha im in the very same boat.

I decided to make a High wealth only city.

100k population, 99% of which is high wealth. Only Residential and Commercial. It works well! Low crime, highly educated. I went through a dodgy period at around 80k pop where there was bad traffic jams and thus lots of fires.......but I did a couple of new roads and it sorted itself out rather well.

Very happy with the city overall. It's called RichVille and there isn't a pleb in sight. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I have space in Now Ye're Simming, username Newaglish. 7-region with 4 spots free!

Sent you a request – grizgrizzly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yeah joined up there, laid out a basic roadmap to begin with but didnt have time for anything more, planning on mining all the coal to start with and we will see where it goes after that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

it's Europe West 2, public!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Is there anywhere to pickup sim city 4 for cheap? Not going to bother with the new one for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Kiith wrote: »
    Is there anywhere to pickup sim city 4 for cheap? Not going to bother with the new one for now.

Steam is like a tenner?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Steam has the deluxe edition for a tenner, but you could always just wait for the sales and wait for its inevitable price drop. It's usually €2.50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

Jernal wrote: »
    Steam has the deluxe edition for a tenner, but you could always just wait for the sales and wait for its inevitable price drop. It's usually €2.50.
    on adverts for 6 euro including postage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I got it for around €2 during the last steam sale, if you've waited this long without it then I'm sure you can last another wile until the next sale!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

nesf wrote: »

It has become a puzzle game, work out how the stupid ai works. Then work out how to create a city that works with the simcity engine. The game isn't really about siming a real city, more about siming and specific simcity. Should be called simsimcity

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

errlloyd wrote: »
    It has become a puzzle game, work out how the stupid ai works. Then work out how to create a city that works with the simcity engine. The game isn't really about siming a real city, more about siming and specific simcity. Should be called simsimcity

It's always been that though, to a lesser extent to be fair but it's always been you versus the model that wasn't always sensible rather than playing a game that was always intuitive, e.g. traffic simulation in SC4

(I'm not in any way excusing the game here)

I created a city in "Now Ye're Simming", Newaglish's 7 city region.

I went only Medium wealth, high-tech industrial so I called it "CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet" :D

Created a pretty nifty city. It's all tech 3 industry. Very clean and no pollution. And only Solar power too. I researched the advanced solar panels. I created a trade port for the first time but nobody else in the region has one so it's not much use yet. Still, trade by road still works. I'm recycling Alloy, plastic and metal and using the alloy and plastic to make Processors. Exporting them and rolling in the money.

Sitting at 115k population at the moment, even after a zombie, twister, earthquake and Godzilla attack. :P

The oddest thing about this city that I haven't seen before is the visitor count. It was banana's. When my town was in it's infancy and I only had a population of 1k at the start, I had 30k visitors from the neighboring towns. My roads were chocker block.

Take a look at this.
    spark20130315060557.png

The total population of the region, all six cities in it, is 264k and yet my overall visitor total is 250k. This means nearly every sim in the region has visited my city at one point. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Barlett

Is there any word yet on when they plan to reactivate all the features they disabled?

One of the designers released a new blog post last night saying the next priority was to get all the features running again, as well as working on the ai. So they will be adding a new feature to roads that make them more or less appealing to sims depending on the traffic density so they will take other routes. And emergency services will be able to weave in and out of traffic apparently.

Edit here it is : http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/simcity-update-8

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

OSI wrote: »

I've watched this 4 times trying to see why this is a fail. Now apart from the idiot who designs a cul de sac for a light rail system and then overloads it with streetcars and stops it look to be functioning correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jrby

is SIMcity or an earlier version available on Samsung tablets?

OSI wrote: »
    Jesus, you're living up to your name aren't ya. For your info, that portion you see in the video is a very small part of the system in place.

The bit in red below is the bit you see in the video. The blue is the rest of the system. Note that the trams all originated from a station you can see in the top left of the screen. But once they entered that l shaped region, they never left. And not just the trams, look at 300+ sims that get on at one tram stop, go one stop, get off and then walk back to the first stop.

245059.png

Yup had this exact issue with several buses, watched them for 10 minutes ferrying passengers from one stop up the road to another the passengers then walked straight back to the first bus stop and it repeated again

• Advertisement

Well atleast we know patches are incoming. Traffic is first up which is good I suppose. Fire trucks and ambulances being able to get places quickly will be nice for high population towns. They said they are working on the fire truck AI too so they don't all go to the same fire.

Steady improvements. Should never have launched like this but it has so there is no point crying over it. EA are notoriously slow and bad with patches but I think this may prove to be the exception due to the bad press.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Good honest review if anyone is sitting on the fence about this.
    Probably one of the most honest reviewers around.

Kirby wrote: »
    Well atleast we know patches are incoming. Traffic is first up which is good I suppose. Fire trucks and ambulances being able to get places quickly will be nice for high population towns. They said they are working on the fire truck AI too so they don't all go to the same fire.

Steady improvements. Should never have launched like this but it has so there is no point crying over it. EA are notoriously slow and bad with patches but I think this may prove to be the exception due to the bad press.

Maxis seem to be alot more enthusiastic about fixing things than EA usually would be, maybe it is down to the bad press but its nice to see them engaging in this regard, still would be good to see a response on all the offline stuff though considering the recent discoveries with the debug mode

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Kirby wrote:
    EA are notoriously slow and bad with patches

EA never struck me as any slower with patches than other developers/publishers. What games are you referring to Kirby?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

VinLieger wrote: »
    Maxis seem to be alot more enthusiastic about fixing things than EA usually would be, maybe it is down to the bad press but its nice to see them engaging in this regard, still would be good to see a response on all the offline stuff though considering the recent discoveries with the debug mode
    Maxis can be as enthusiastic as they want, nothing would get released without EA's consent. To tie in with Kirby's point, the speed with which patches are delivered is usually down to the need to test on multiple platforms internally and then submit to the platform holders for their cert process. Since this is PC only I can see the patches coming in at a fairly decent rate.

I know Crytek said that after Crysis 2 was released a serious bug was discovered with the A.I. They said they where ablt to fix it quite quickly on PC but it took much longer on console because of the cert process.

Azza wrote: »
    I know Crytek said that after Crysis 2 was released a serious bug was discovered with the A.I. They said they where ablt to fix it quite quickly on PC but it took much longer on console because of the cert process.

Just look at skyrim on the PS3 as well, think its still completely ****ed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Azza wrote: »
    Yup, pretty much. You're talking weeks in general. :(

I've found EA games to be not that buggy overall.
    My own personal experience of them in terms of patch support after a games release is they are no worse or better than the the majority of there competitors.

• Advertisement

Perhaps I should clarify. By "patch" I'm not really referring to bug fixes. Crash to desktop, items not spawning, getting stuck in a wall, ammo not spawning, quests not working correctly, etc. That's just bugs that get fixed. EA are the same as everyone else in that regard.

I'm talking about patches....making alterations to the game engine to make the game better. Blizzard do content patches. Valve do content patches. EA don't do that. And I don't mean new or additional content before you jump all over that. I'm talking about spending the time to tweak the game so that it plays better for your existing customers.

If your wide reciever's run out of bounds on every play, they are going to do it for the whole year. It won't get fixed. Dodgy keepers letting in a shot from the halfway line? Sorry, that's here to stay. Your nanosuit power mode doing the same damage as a regular hit? Too bad. Learn to live with it. And so on and so forth.

They don't spend time or resources on anything that alters the game for the better. It either goes into next years iteration of the title or is sold as DLC.

This traffic alteration is a fundamental programming change to the engine. It's rare for EA to do something like this.

Advertisement