Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

The fire service is completely broken in this, I have 3 of those hazmat fire engines and they don't bother responding, constant industrial explosions. And the icon is red at the bottom saying I haven't got any of them!

edit: And another bug, abandoned building because "not enough places to ship freight"

There's a trade depot DIRECTLY across the street with an empty freight container!!!!

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Lucy Bradshaw, general manager at Maxis, directly addressed the possibility of offline play. Bradshaw answered the question "could we have built a subset offline mode" with a rather disparaging response: "Yes. But we rejected that idea because it didn't fit with our vision."

Should have gone to fcuking specsavers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Well I am having a great game on the same region as HokemPokem and a few other boards players. This whole recycling thing has me head wrecked for the CPU processors but sure I am making a few $$$$$. I have 150K people and making 9K an hour.....and a few million saved with no debts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Well I am having a great game on the same region as HokemPokem and a few other boards players. This whole recycling thing has me head wrecked for the CPU processors but sure I am making a few $$$$$. I have 150K people and making 9K an hour.....and a few million saved with no debts.

Yeah thats me. I used some money to start an arcology for the region. If we all contribute it will be done on no time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Maximilian wrote: »
    Should have gone to fcuking specsavers.

The full blog: http://www.ea.com/news/simcity-update-straight-answers-from-lucy

The comment section. Yeah, sums it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Kirby wrote: »
    Yeah thats me. I used some money to start an arcology for the region. If we all contribute it will be done on no time. :)

Yeah I will throw in a few De Niros $$$$ not sure what it does for the region but use the in game chat (origin) when you on next with me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

I think my City has bugged out. I was building trade depots for oil. All going grand, was filling them up to capacity and then Id export them all at once to reach the upgrade.

All of a sudden now, none of my depots are filling up with oil. My oil fields even stopped drilling because they are full.

All depots have roads, are taking local shipments and I am currently not exporting with any of them.

The same city is giving me that rollback message for the last few days too.

Anyone know a way to fix this? (depot problem)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

honestly if they had sold the game from the beginning as an MMO they probably would have only gotten flak for the poor launch and not the extra flak put on them for being always online.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

It would be great if there was a time limit on abandoned buildings and they just got demolished themselves. Sick of bulldozing them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

nesf wrote: »

The full blog: http://www.ea.com/news/simcity-update-straight-answers-from-lucy

The comment section. Yeah, sums it up.

Unbelievable. The arrogance is outstanding.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

To be honest many of this guys complaints are L2P issues.

You can see in one screen shot he has built a 8 road junction :eek: 4 road junctions are notoriously bad for traffic problems but he sticks two together then moans about traffic issues in the city :rolleyes:

He even complains about not being able to save it and roll back in case he makes a mistake ??

That doesn't necessarily mean he based his view off that one junction.

Also accidentally misclicking and plopping an expensive building in an unintended spot is not a "L2P" issue.

It was an accurate review.

Unbelievable. The arrogance is outstanding.

It's also an implicit admission that she lied previously when she said they basically couldn't make it offline. Now it's simply because they didn't want to; it wasn't their vision. "Vision", of course, is not elaborated upon. Utter horsesh!t but it's gratifying to see them pay a price for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Maximilian wrote: »
    It's also an implicit admission that she lied previously when she said they basically couldn't make it offline. Now it's simply because they didn't want to; it wasn't their vision. "Vision", of course, is not elaborated upon. Utter horsesh!t but it's gratifying to see them pay a price for it.

If she came out and said, "We think we can make more money doing it this way" I'd actually be ok with that. It's this whole "We want to make the best game ever and it's for your own good that we're restricting choice" bull**** that pisses me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    honestly if they had sold the game from the beginning as an MMO they probably would have only gotten flak for the poor launch and not the extra flak put on them for being always online.
    But the problem is that it's not an MMO. I ranted about this earlier in the thread but RPS has recently put it well:

In almost no ways have they built an MMO. The first M rather puts pay to that suggestion, with minimal numbers of players interacting, and even then interacting through relatively remote systems. Let alone that it’s a management game that previously functioned perfectly well without the addition of social aspects – which is what makes it so mystifying that apparently adding something has caused so much more to be taken away. But the association with an “MMO” is an essential part of the vocabulary Maxis and EA want us to use, to reinforce the notion that this hasn’t been about piracy, preventing solo-play cheating, and controlling players’ experiences. “Oh, MMOs,” we’re supposed to say. “Yeah, good point, because you couldn’t play World Of Warcraft offline, could you? So this must be the same.” We’re asked to ignore that SimCity looks, feels and plays like a single-player game with some multiplayer functionality, and instead conflate it with an entirely different type of game. It’s a blatantly fallacious stance, but one that’s unfortunately perpetuating

(The whole article is worth a read to see how Maxis' line has shifted in recent days)

Or as I put it earlier:

The core gameplay, unlike WOW, remains the same old city-building as it always has been. Adding in a spot of online trading does not in any way change this. We have to get away from the idea that this is a multiplayer game or an MMO; it's a singleplayer game (with a multiplayer option) that must be played online. And that's the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Got a 4/10 on euro gamer :eek:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-15-simcity-review

Well i was holding off on picking it up, looks like i shant be playing this outing of sim city sadly. Ow well its a real shame i was so looking forward to it on my new bad ass pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

I had been humming and hawing about buying Sim City but reading that "SIMCITY UPDATE: STRAIGHT ANSWERS FROM LUCY" blog has just turned me right off it.

To say they are being mistruthful wold be an understatement.

Sim City 4 is getting dusted off...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I was actually on a fence with sim city. I wanted to play again some good city/mini economy game. Though all this bull**** from EA got me further and further from buying it. Then I fired up good old tropico 4 and I even forgot this new sim city was ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I was actually on a fence with sim city. I wanted to play again some good city/mini economy game. Though all this bull**** from EA got me further and further from buying it. Then I fired up good old tropico 4 and I even forgot this new sim city was ever made.

Yeah I bought tropico 4 in the steam sale, great game

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Just wait til Tropico 5, online only and you have to ship resources to each other's islands.

This pretty much sums up Tropico vs SimCity, but of course you have a fraction of the population in SimCity (even after the fat faced lie of the SimCity population is reduced)
    537595_627758790573604_269240353_n.png

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Actually shadow, you'll probably be glad to hear that Tropico 5 is slated for a release later this year. It's being built from the ground up, running on a new engine etc, so it should be radically different to T3/4.

Anywho, sorry. Off topic. I was reading that Lucy Bradshaw statement and I'm utterly disgusted with the crap we've been fed over the last week and a half. I hope for the sake of the series that they
    a) fix all the bugs ridden in the game
    b) offer some sort of alternative for irate players and DRM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

+1 on Tropico 4. (Though personally 3 has better music.:p)

Gonna try ANNO 2070. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

So all my cities are still gone AWOL, totally vanished,fecking hours of effort just gone.
    Without doubt THE single most frustrating experience ive ever had in all my years of gaming!
    FU EA and FU Maxis, i once had faith in you Maxis now you can just GTFO as far as im concerned.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Just wait til Tropico 5, online only and you have to ship resources to each other's islands.

This pretty much sums up Tropico vs SimCity, but of course you have a fraction of the population in SimCity (even after the fat faced lie of the SimCity population is reduced)
    537595_627758790573604_269240353_n.png

I don't care about feeling connected to my tropicans (the game suits me well) but that information is useful. I had a problem with my food quality dropping and people dying of starvation despite having loads of marketplaces set up. I kept clicking on random tropicans to find one with low food happiness (most were happy with it) to see if it would help me figure it out. Long story short the marketplace beside a bunch of apartments wasn't getting serviced because of a traffic jam. A bit of tinkering with the road network sorted it. I wouldn't have figured it out without that information though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Jernal wrote: »
    +1 on Tropico 4. (Though personally 3 has better music.:p)

Gonna try ANNO 2070. :D

DONT! it's terrible, i bought it yesterday and it's terrible. If you havent got tropico 3 or 4, spend your cash on one of those, far superior games.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

DONT! it's terrible, i bought it yesterday and it's terrible. If you havent got tropico 3 or 4, spend your cash on one of those, far superior games.

Right, well, I had Tropicos 3 &4 already (steam sales ftw!:p), so I decided to take the plunge. Nesf! If this Anno game isn't good, bro . . . :p

Anno 2070 is far from terrible, fantastic game with a steep learning curve.

it's as dull as dishwater man, it had a brilliant premise but never pulls through. And that cheesy voice acting, jeesus cringing christ.. terrible!

If i could throw it away i would.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

it's as dull as dishwater man, it had a brilliant premise but never pulls through. And that cheesy voice acting, jeesus cringing christ.. terrible!

?type=image&size=full&id=aHR0cDovL2Jsb2cubWFrZXppbmUuY29tLzI4NDE2MzE5MV82ZjA5MTc5ODUzX28uanBn

Now lets play the waiting game! :pac:

the waiting game sucks, let's play hungry hungry hippo's!

• Advertisement

So you bought it yesterday and already brand it as above ?
    I suggest you have barely scratched the surface.
    How's much have you played of it ?

Fair enough if you dislike it but such a game needs many hours of gameplay to really see what its about.

Advertisement