Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

So how do we go about getting this free game?

EDIT: Anyone know when EU gets the e-mail?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Not a bad free game list but I'd much prefer if they fixed SimCity

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

So how do we go about getting this free game?

EDIT: Anyone know when EU gets the e-mail?

It'll get rolled out on a country by country basis with all of us being contacted by the 22nd or something. US first obviously.

nesf wrote: »
    It'll get rolled out on a country by country basis with all of us being contacted by the 22nd or something. US first obviously.

Is the MoH game any good? (Not being directed specifically at you). If not I'll probably get a free BF3.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

As I know there has been a lot of grief with the game, but with me not being too excited to begin with it and skipping the initial launch and picking it up cheap in a shop here, I didnt think things were as bad as they were.

until I logged into today to find it impossible for me to access either of my 2 cities in the region I was working on with my friend (who was the reason I picked it up) so yeah, that sucks hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I presume these are digital copies, i.e. people are buying "CD-Keys" and that Amazon records which one is given to which account so that in the case of a chargeback Amazon can say X key needs to be revoked on the Origin servers to EA. What it would sound like is that Amazon has been feeding data to EA about not just chargebacks, which would be completely reasonable, but any other kind of discount or voucher given to a grumbling customer and that the same identifying data must have been given including the game code. I'm actually fairly sure that Amazon couldn't realise detailed data like that for the latter in Europe only chargeback cases.

EA wants the latter data to get a "real" picture on just how pissed off the customer base is but instead of general numbers they are getting specifics which is very dodgy, though possibly perfectly legal in the US.
    The first bit is most certainly correct. My own guess would have been the list Amazon sent back to EA was incorrect and as such, EA are deactivating the wrong accounts. I can't imagine anyone on EA's side would sign off on actually deactivating the accounts of people that have complained. Hanlon's razor and all that...

Absent the above scenario though, why are Amazon passing on customer information to EA without the customers consent? I've never purchased a game digitally from Amazon before but surely there isn't a clause in there that allows the companies to share such information without some form of prior customer agreement?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

ShaneU wrote: »
    Dead Space 3 for free? :)

Free? I paid €60.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Is the MoH game any good? (Not being directed specifically at you). If not I'll probably get a free BF3.

On pc yea i really liked it. It got unfairly savaged by the reviews but anyone that played it seems to have enjoyed it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jernal wrote: »

I would love to know how many of those units were pre-orders; it seems such a powerful, prominent part of marketing now it's easy to imagine the percentages are high. Between this & Colonial Marines, you'd think by now gamers would start learning a little responsibility & self-control.

The above sales figure is precisely why EA don't care that much about the outrage: for all the bad press & obvious fan anger, they know that so long as the market stays steady and easily-manipulated, they'll chalk Sim City up to experience.

• Advertisement

gizmo wrote: »
    The first bit is most certainly correct. My own guess would have been the list Amazon sent back to EA was incorrect and as such, EA are deactivating the wrong accounts. I can't imagine anyone on EA's side would sign off on actually deactivating the accounts of people that have complained. Hanlon's razor and all that...

Absent the above scenario though, why are Amazon passing on customer information to EA without the customers consent? I've never purchased a game digitally from Amazon before but surely there isn't a clause in there that allows the companies to share such information without some form of prior customer agreement?

I don't know US Data Protection law. In the EU Amazon would be facing some very hefty fines over this because they fine per individual breach.

I don't know US Data Protection law. In the EU Amazon would be facing some very hefty fines over this because they fine per individual breach.
    Well so far I haven't seen anyone else actually ask the above question unfortunately. Most of the replies on the Reddit post featured in that link were falling over themselves to praise Amazon's CS and savage EA further.* :o
    pixelburp wrote: »
    I would love to know how many of those units were pre-orders; it seems such a powerful, prominent part of marketing now it's easy to imagine the percentages are high. Between this & Colonial Marines, you'd think by now gamers would start learning a little responsibility & self-control.
    Or maybe Randy Pitchford pre-ordered a couple of hundred thousand copies and had people activate them and go online at the same time in order to break the servers, stir up some more controversy and get people talking about EA's failure instead of Gearboxs? :pac:

*Not that they don't deserve it, their continued refusal to offer refunds for digital purchases is ****ing outrageous.

Well so far I haven't seen anyone else actually ask the above question unfortunately. Most of the replies on the Reddit post featured in that link were falling over themselves to praise Amazon's CS and savage EA further.* :o

Amazon's CS is actually excellent, by far the best I've come across. The legality of this would punish Amazon more than EA over here though.

Amazon's CS is actually excellent, by far the best I've come across. The legality of this would punish Amazon more than EA over here though.
    Oh I don't disagree, they're probably the best company I've ever dealt with, certainly over the time I've been a customer. It just doesn't excuse the fact that no seems particularly interested in how that information was exchanged in the first place.

If you dont have BF3 already I'd get that over MOH, but medal of honour is ok. The single player is mix of a few actually really well done set pieces, marred by a very bog standard campaign and a few dull levels. The multiplayer is very messy initially but has some clever ideas that had potential that will probably never be fulfilled now since the series has been put back in the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

*Not that they don't deserve it, their continued refusal to offer refunds for digital purchases is ****ing outrageous.

This is why they tell you that there is no refunds on digital products before you buy it and ask you to tick a box to say you understand this.

Most stores don't offer refunds on physical products either and this is why most will ask you to make sure your pc meets the min specs as once it's open they won't refund you.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I have all those games offered,I just want a sim city fully working with larger city space or a refund.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

buy simcity, get deadspace 3 for free....Still not doing it. Pretty sweet if you bought it from india though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

This is why they tell you that there is no refunds on digital products before you buy it and ask you to tick a box to say you understand this.

Most stores don't offer refunds on physical products either and this is why most will ask you to make sure your pc meets the min specs as once it's open they won't refund you.

Just because a company asks you to tick a box agreeing to sign away your rights, doesn't mean you can. There are rights you have which cannot be signed away, regardless.

More to the point, I never understand why people agree to roll over and be shafted just because some corporation tells them that they should. What are we, sheep?

The exception being, if you open the box and the thing you've bought doesn't work as described. Sim City currently does not work as described, you simply can't play it in many cases. I can understand refusing refunds based on misreading the minimum specs or in cases where someone changes their mind after purchasing it and doesn't want it anymore but if you buy a game, you expect it to work out of the box, so to speak. As I said, I can understand teething problems with a launch such as this, most reasonable people would, but what has happened is far from a teething problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

EA CEO has resigned....

http://www.ea.com/news/from-larry-probst-ea-leadership-transition

I would like to think that the Sim City mess has had a small part in it but i think that is too optomistic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

https://help.ea.com/uk/article/simcity-something-extra#1
    1. When can I start to get my free game?
    The free game portal will be rolling out in waves, and it will be available in the following regions by these dates:

North America by 5pm PDT/midnight GMT on Wednesday, March 20.
    Europe by 5pm PDT/midnight GMT on Thursday, March 21.
    Asia & South America by 5pm PDT/midnight GMT on Friday, March 22.

During the rollout, individual users may find they get access to the free game portal slightly before or after others in their region. Everyone worldwide will have access no later than 5:00PM PDT on March 22 and will have until March 30 at 11:59PM PDT to redeem.

Odds on the servers for registering being overloaded?

The exception being, if you open the box and the thing you've bought doesn't work as described. Sim City currently does not work as described, you simply can't play it in many cases. I can understand refusing refunds based on misreading the minimum specs or in cases where someone changes their mind after purchasing it and doesn't want it anymore but if you buy a game, you expect it to work out of the box, so to speak. As I said, I can understand teething problems with a launch such as this, most reasonable people would, but what has happened is far from a teething problems.

It'd be very interesting to see it go to court. :D

Agent J wrote: »
    EA CEO has resigned....

http://www.ea.com/news/from-larry-probst-ea-leadership-transition

I would like to think that the Sim City mess has had a small part in it but i think that is too optomistic...

Nah, it'll literally be the numbers (i.e. revenue of the company) that decides the fate of an EA CEO, the company is too big and too diverse platform wise for the bungling of the release of a product on one platform alone to be a big factor. Now if Battlefield 3 had been an utter disaster and sold really badly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

Actually i think it would be more appropriate to consider it on the grounds of being fit for purpose, its purpose being to be played.

Dcully wrote: »
    I have all those games offered,I just want a sim city fully working with larger city space or a refund.

I missed this comment.

Did you actually just admit to buying Bejeweled 3?

dead space 3 or need for speed most wanted?

I'm a fan of both genres, so really the question is if need for speed most wanted is any good?

If you have a link at the link I posted a couple posts up you'll get an idea of what Dead Space is all about.

• Advertisement

If you have a link at the link I posted a couple posts up you'll get an idea of what Dead Space is all about.

i knew ds3 was flawed, but I was wondering if nfs most wanted was equally flawed?

Advertisement