Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Took a boozy weekend off so let my cities lapse in their respective regions back on it tomorrow, probably gonna grabd NFS from the free games list contemplated getting it on release but was broke so its a nice surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    i knew ds3 was flawed, but I was wondering if nfs most wanted was equally flawed?

I don't know about Most Wanted. But Criterion are a reputable developer and NFS:MW's predecessor NFS:Hot Pursuit was pure quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

bRkUGb0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

ShaneU wrote: »

So many people won't get this, lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

nesf wrote: »
    Nah, it'll literally be the numbers (i.e. revenue of the company) that decides the fate of an EA CEO, the company is too big and too diverse platform wise for the bungling of the release of a product on one platform alone to be a big factor. Now if Battlefield 3 had been an utter disaster and sold really badly...

Sim City would have been the final nail in the coffin though with the failed Take-two merger, the failure of Pandemic, the failure of the old republic, the failure to reboot MOH and a very expensive take over of Popcap.

their share price is also a third of what it was before he took over and im willing to bet the quarterly report due out next month wont be fantastic reading

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

NTMK wrote: »
    Sim City would have been the final nail in the coffin though with the failed Take-two merger, the failure of Pandemic, the failure of the old republic, the failure to reboot MOH and a very expensive take over of Popcap.

their share price is also a third of what it was before he took over and im willing to bet the quarterly report due out next month wont be fantastic reading

Sure but with the way EA have been doing the past few years I don't think a decent Sim City launch would have saved him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

nesf wrote: »
    Sure but with the way EA have been doing the past few years I don't think a decent Sim City launch would have saved him.

no maybe kept him there a bit longer but the sim city failure may have hammered home the point that EA's brand has taken an unmerciful beating by the community.

Sim city sold ~1.1 million copies, a great sales success but with the failure of the game and the sheer lies that came out of EA/Maxis the next sim city game wont/shouldnt do nearly as well

and sim city isnt the only brand of EA's that has been damaged under his tenure either.

The axe was definitely going to fall on him eventually but i would have guessed it would have been after the quarterly and after the Bf4 reveal

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

NTMK wrote: »
    no maybe kept him there a bit longer but the sim city failure may have hammered home the point that EA's brand has taken an unmerciful beating by the community.

Sim city sold ~1.1 million copies, a great sales success but with the failure of the game and the sheer lies that came out of EA/Maxis the next sim city game wont/shouldnt do nearly as well

and sim city isnt the only brand of EA's that has been damaged under his tenure either.

The axe was definitely going to fall on him eventually but i would have guessed it would have been after the quarterly and after the Bf4 reveal

True, hard to say how much internal politics was going on too. Maybe Forbes or FT might do an article on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,772 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It doesnt escape my notice that the CEO was in place about as long as I've been hating on EA. Correlation remains to be seen though, but, I'll watch the company. Their defunct customer service however has always been an issue, but it is one he never fixed. I can only hope for their sake they install someone that puts the customer first, and realizes that customer is a Gamer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Got my email for the new game. Not really into shooters or racing games, so I'm leaning towards Simcity 4, which is actually the only one of the series I haven't played. Is it much of a step up from 3000?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

And they wonder why piracy is rife in the PC industry getting fcuked over like this....BF4 can kiss my ass. I would be very hard pushed to buy an EA game again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i dont think they wonder why piracy is rife in the pc industry, they know it's because pc gamers are entitled little ****s who expect hours of quality content for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Let's say you spent €60 on this game, which is totally broken and not fit for purpose. Under any decent consumer law you're entitled to immediate refund, repair or replacement. They're not going to fix it, according to their lying public comments. They can't replace it as your individual copy isn't defective, the whole batch is. Therefore the only option is a refund.

As has already been pointed out, offering a ten year old game as a like for like replacement is just another slap in the face.

I personally think people are making way to much out of the problems. Ive heard people say 'the highest speed setting isnt working so its virtually unplayable'. No its not virtually unplayable.

Sure there is a lot not wroking right at the minute, but I was pointing out that with that amazon post that wasnt even EAs fault yet they got the blame. They mention amazon give 40 dollars worth yet dont mention the fact ea are giving a free game plus that 15 percent thing.

People losing their **** over the smallest things. Calm down. People should read reviews etc next time before buying a game or wait a couple of days to see if there are issues.

No one held a gun to your head to buy the game. So much moral out rage.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I personally think people are making way to much out of the problems.

So losing 5+ cities and every city you make bar your very first one acceptable to you? That renders the game unplayable.
    Not to mention the remaining mountain of issues.
    You have some neck making such a statement.
    Let me ask you, did you buy the game in good faith with honest cash?

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    dead space 3 or need for speed most wanted?

I'm a fan of both genres, so really the question is if need for speed most wanted is any good?

Got bored of it after two hours or so.

OSI wrote: »
    OOhhhhh... BURN!

Go back to paying €70 for a rehash of last years game!

no thanks. if I don't think a game looks good I just won't buy it because I have no interest in playing it. I don't think it's my god given right to play every piece of **** that comes out because I have a broadband connection.

no thanks. if I don't think a game looks good I just won't buy it because I have no interest in playing it. I don't think it's my god given right to play every piece of **** that comes out because I have a broadband connection.

Generalizing is a dangerous game.

im not talking about sim city, i was answering the "no wonder piracy is rife on pc" as some sort of justification for wholesale thievary on pc

people who bought sim city have every right to be unbelievably pissed off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

joe123 wrote: »

I personally think people are making way to much out of the problems. Ive heard people say 'the highest speed setting isnt working so its virtually unplayable'. No its not virtually unplayable.

Sure there is a lot not wroking right at the minute, but I was pointing out that with that amazon post that wasnt even EAs fault yet they got the blame. They mention amazon give 40 dollars worth yet dont mention the fact ea are giving a free game plus that 15 percent thing.

I think you need to have a look at some of the thread again. There are no "little issues" with sim city. The whole game, from the very ground up, is totally borked and does not work. This is the equivalent of ordering a shot of vodka in a bar, and being handed a pint of Guinness with a turd sticking out of it.
    People losing their **** over the smallest things. Calm down. People should read reviews etc next time before buying a game or wait a couple of days to see if there are issues.

No one held a gun to your head to buy the game. So much moral out rage.
    You definitely need to read the thread. The reviews you claim people should have read all stated the game was brilliant, flawless, and detailed. it turns out that the professional reviewers were for the most part nothing better than paid shills for EA's marketing team who gave it 9/10 reviews without really playing it at all.

Going back to our analogy, would you complain to the barman about your Guinness avec turd, or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Dcully wrote: »
    So losing 5+ cities and every city you make bar your very first one acceptable to you? That renders the game unplayable.
    Not to mention the remaining mountain of issues.
    You have some neck making such a statement.
    Let me ask you, did you buy the game in good faith with honest cash?
    Not to defend the state of the game or anything, but there was more to the post than that one line.

• Advertisement

im not talking about sim city, i was answering the "no wonder piracy is rife on pc" as some sort of justification for wholesale thievary on pc

people who bought sim city have every right to be unbelievably pissed off

I think the point the poster was trying to make was that in trying to combat piracy like this, all that happens is that genuine customers get screwed over. Pirates will not only crack the game in a matter of days, and will get a better experience than . people who paid for it.

Therefore, the company is actually creating an inventive for more people to pirate the game, rather than rewarding them for not pirating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

perfect example of this is anno2070.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

I think you need to have a look at some of the thread again. There are no "little issues" with sim city. The whole game, from the very ground up, is totally borked and does not work. This is the equivalent of ordering a shot of vodka in a bar, and being handed a pint of Guinness with a turd sticking out of it.

You definitely need to read the thread. The reviews you claim people should have read all stated the game was brilliant, flawless, and detailed. it turns out that the professional reviewers were for the most part nothing better than paid shills for EA's marketing team who gave it 9/10 reviews without really playing it at all.

Going back to our analogy, would you complain to the barman about your Guinness avec turd, or not?

I checked metacritic the day of release and only found a handful of reviews. That in itself shows that reviews were being held back. No one forced anyone to fork over 60 quid.

I totally agree games shouldnt be released with such issues, but listening to some peopke its like its a crime worse than murder.

What was stopping people from waiting a week to see how the game faired? The user score on metacritic was down at 1 from the off.

joe123 wrote: »
    The user score on metacritic was down at 1 from the off.

Alot of first reviews was the anti drm crowd spamming it with neg reviews while not buying the game, I reckon looking at the dates only reviews posted 1 day after launch could actually be from people who own the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

Anyone who even looks at metacriric as a guide has no business playing games.

As it stands I think the game is playing fine. I was very pissed off on launch and I'm in no way defending the drm or EA but I don't think it's correct to say the game is broken from the ground up.

SB2013 wrote: »

As it stands I think the game is playing fine. I was very pissed off on launch and I'm in no way defending the drm or EA but I don't think it's correct to say the game is broken from the ground up.

I would diasgree, its pretty broken considering the AI problems and the massive spoofing of population figures, which makes it impossible to achieve any balance in a city

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

How much of the game have you played? If you take a detailed look at the numbers, none of them add up. Population of 100k. 7K workers!! 50K jobs but 20k filled. The game is broken. The traffic is a joke. The RCI doesnt work. I have a city with residential only. If I hover over a building they are all asking where the shopping is yet no commercial demand in the RCI! Dont even ask about the fire engines all heading to the one fire. Then getting stuck in traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

I would tend to disagree too.. there are some pretty glaring broken mechanics to the game, being able to build a flourishing city by upgrading roads only doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

An explanation, or even part of one, is not justification

Nobody here has said 'people should pirate this game'. Instead it was pointed out that this sort of anti-consumerist behaviour does not exactly inspire devoted brand loyalty. At which point you took it as your cue to jump in and call PC gamers "entitled little ****s". Classy
    SB2013 wrote:
    It's an interesting one. When people cry about something being 'unplayable' or 'broken' then it's usually hyperbole over an unstable or buggy game. But here it looks like the game is largely stable and playable (when EA allows you to) but the core game mechanics are dodgy at best

• Advertisement

Reekwind wrote: »
    An explanation, or even part of one, is not justification

Nobody here has said 'people should pirate this game'. Instead it was pointed out that this sort of anti-consumerist behaviour does not exactly inspire devoted brand loyalty. At which point you took it as your cue to jump in and call PC gamers "entitled little ****s". Classy

It's an interesting one. When people cry about something being 'unplayable' or 'broken' then it's usually hyperbole over an unstable or buggy game. But here it looks like the game is largely stable and playable (when EA allows you to) but the core game mechanics are dodgy at best

Which means you're not really playing a game, you're making random moves and glassbox is making random, or unconnected, responses.

Advertisement