Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

"I personally cannot see any issues because I'm choosing to ignore them" != "working"

Nope not ignoring them just learning from my own mistakes in game and not blaming the game's coding.

I struggled with the "we need jobs" and at the same time had industry that "needs workers" until I realized that I had medium wealth Sims and low tech industry so they didn't want to work there the snobs.

I also had high class shops but no high class wealthy Sims to shop in them, so they started to close down, even though I had lots of sims living in the city they couldn't afford to shop in those stores.

I also have learnt that they need to be able to travel to work so I built a city with clear roads now lots of sims go to work everyday. With good public transport links.

I had fire trucks that would not respond and let buildings burn down so I checked to make sure that the station was in range of the fires and it wasn't. So I built a big station with small satellite stations to cover the whole city now nowhere burns down.

I still see some weird things like Sims getting on buses and off at the next stop but that is because many of the sims are just animations as outlined before the game came out by the devs that not every sim would be tracked so I expect some animations to give a working city impression like in SC4 when cars drove around corners and vanished. There is still work to do on this but it is just fine tuning not a game is broken complaint.

Now there are legitimate complaints such as cities being lost, rolled back etc. It is not something that has happened to me more than once thankfully but i can see how that would be frustrating. It did happen the once to me but that was my fault I clicked quit to main menu then clicked the red X to close the game instead of clicking quit SimCity so the server had time to sync.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Jernal wrote: »
    surely it would have been possible to put into place code that restricts lower education workers from working on various jobs.

And I guess they do have this for industry and commercial, as Grumpypants just pointed out. Nuclear Plant might be a special case, something you have to take more care of. Which, being a nuclear plant, doesn't sound like too much of a stretch.

It's the lack of (reliable) trading / commuting within a region that's killing it for me. The small city sizes are just no fun without it. Still a chance I'm doing something wrong myself but it certainly feels like a bug when my buildings run out of power / water despite VAST quantities being available for import. Just not enough room to have everything within one little city square.

And I'd honestly thought that playing a region "solo" would have alleviated the any issues with origin servers / online play. More fool me, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It's provable that with two burning buildings on a street and two fire engines on the same street, both engines will go to the same fire. That's not bad planning, it's bad coding.

None of the game breaking bugs have anything to do with "learn to play" issues. If anyone needs to learn how to play, it's you, because you seem to be utterly blind to the fundamental ways the game is broken.

When did each building catch fire? how far are the stations? Do you have more than one station that can respond? and what are your response times?

If you have a 12 min response time, then it takes 12 mins for the trucks to get to the fire, they will then put it out, how ever long that takes depends on the fire, then they can be re dispatched. So it is very possible to have 2 trucks at one fire while next door burns down. You can cut down the response time by upgrading the stations and say if you get it down to 6 mins then you can get to twice the number of fires.

When a fire breaks out it sends a blip out which goes to a station and then all available fire trucks rush to that fire and they put it out. If another fire breaks out in the mean time you need the fire trucks to have reset before they can respond. It is a simple cool down period that is linked to your choices in building your city.

I know the old games paused everything and let you dispatch the trucks one by one so you could handle multiple fires manually maybe it is something they will reintroduce, maybe they will change it so one truck from a station will go and the other will be on standby to handle a second fire should it break out, I don't know. To be honest that drove me nuts so I prefer an occasional building to burn than have that start stop gameplay.

Now 6 fire trucks driving in circles while a building burns is a legitimate issue. Two trucks at the one fire is a planning issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

Goodshape wrote: »
    And I guess they do have this for industry and commercial, as Grumpypants just pointed out. Nuclear Plant might be a special case, something you have to take more care of. Which, being a nuclear plant, doesn't sound like too much of a stretch.

It's the lack of (reliable) trading / commuting within a region that's killing it for me. The small city sizes are just no fun without it. Still a chance I'm doing something wrong myself but it certainly feels like a bug when my buildings run out of power / water despite VAST quantities being available for import. Just not enough room to have everything within one little city square.

And I'd honestly thought that playing a region "solo" would have alleviated the any issues with origin servers / online play. More fool me, I guess.

i like to think of my place like Springfield. It's very possible Homer, Lenny and Karl could get a job in my nuclear plant if i don't educate the town sufficiently

1158223_o.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Sooo.... then it does matter where you put your university / school bus stops.

To be honest, sounds more like bad city planning than a bug. In fact, sounds like it debunks some of the "education is just a statistic" complaints.

I'd have to agree that people are seeing problems where there aren't really any problems with this game. Not that there aren't any problems, mind you.

The real complaint is this:

We have a plant that requires highly educated workers. There are highly educated workers aplenty in the city. It doesn't discriminate towards them and turn away unqualified Sims at the door. It just takes whatever Sim comes first regardless of education level even if that leads to the plant exploding. That's not bad city planning on the part of the player.

I mean seriously can you not see the problem with the way the game is working here?

A quick search reveals two SimCity 5 wiki pages for the nuclear power plant, both of which state the dangers of having a low-educated work force:

http://simcity.wikia.com/wiki/Nuclear_Power_Plant
    http://simcity2013wiki.com/wiki/Nuclear_Power_Plant

Should the game turn away the closest worker in favour of the best educated? Maybe. Or maybe you can accept this well documented game mechanic and not surround the nuclear power plant with uneducated workers. Live and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

My cities keep on getting corrupted?? Anyone else have this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

A quick search reveals two SimCity 5 wiki pages for the nuclear power plant, both of which state the dangers of having a low-educated work force:

Should the game turn away the closest worker in favour of the best educated? Maybe. Or maybe you can accept this well documented game mechanic and not surround the nuclear power plant with uneducated workers. Live and learn.

I would argue that the Nuclear plant should constantly shut down due to the lack of high skilled workers.

Or maybe you can accept this well documented game mechanic and not surround the nuclear power plant with uneducated workers. Live and learn.

I'm really at a loss with this statement. Seriously.

• Advertisement

nesf wrote: »
    I'm really at a loss with this statement. Seriously.

:confused: How so? Equally seriously.

1. You know that "workers to workplace" is an (annoyingly simple, if you like) shortest route mechanic.
    2. You know that a nuclear power station will meltdown if it does not have an educated workforce.
    3. You surround nuclear power station with an uneducated work force.

What was the expectation?

:confused: How so? Equally seriously.

1. You know that "workers to workplace" is an (annoyingly simple, if you like) shortest route mechanic.
    2. You know that a nuclear power station will meltdown if it does not have an educated workforce.
    3. You surround nuclear power station with an uneducated work force.

What was the expectation?

The complaint is about the mechanics of the game. Saying "Well those are the mechanics" kind of misses the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Thought the free game was available on March 22nd but just turned on origin tonight and picked Dead Space 3

The complaint is about the mechanics of the game. Saying "Well those are the mechanics" kind of misses the point.

But... those are the mechanics. Claiming the game is broken because you choose to ignore them doesn't make much sense either.

Build some bus stops for gods sake!

ShaneU wrote: »
    Thought the free game was available on March 22nd but just turned on origin tonight and picked Dead Space 3

How do you do it?
    But... those are the mechanics. Claiming the game is broken because you choose to ignore them doesn't make much sense either.

i think the point is that they are stupid mechanics, which is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

What's the name of the game? Sim City. What's Sim short for? Simulation. If it were a perfect simulation the power plant would turn away the unskilled workers and hire the skilled workers. The skilled workers would travel to the power plant and work there rather than the closest job to them.

Anyway, just for "fun" here's some more things wrong with the game:
    • Planes landing at the airport change colour when they finish taxiing.
    • The number of passengers per day don't update properly or not at all with the ferry.
    • Tourists don't use the Bus Terminal even when all other forms of transport are closed.
    • Water doesn't "recharge" beside the sea/river like the devs said it would.
    • Services such as the recycling trucks don't come to the city even though it says "covered by x with y amount of trucks".
    • Industry complains there's nowhere to ship freight despite empty trade depots right in front of them and no demand for commercial.
    • Same wealth residential and commercial will complain of no shops/customers despite being right beside each other.
    • Maxis man will drive around ignoring currently injured people and crimes in progress. Sometimes he will capture about 5 people in a row then return to the manor and the number of captured won't increase. He'll also get stuck in a never-ending loop going into the police station.
    • The police helicopter can just sit there forever and not track criminals in their homes despite it's description.
    • Great works can get stuck in the permitting stage forever.

And that's just stuff I can think of right now and that hasn't been mentioned yet.
    If anyone says this game isn't broken they're blind. It's a beta, end of story.

When did I say it was broken? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

ShaneU wrote: »

Yay picked up NFS, havent owned a racing game in a while great to pick up a freebie of what is apparently a good one

SB2013 wrote: »
    How do you do it?

Quit out fully, restart and you should get an update. After the update a popup tells you you get a new game. Just did it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Quit out fully, restart and you should get an update. After the update a popup tells you you get a new game. Just did it there.

If this doesnt work go into the origin tab at the top left and click launch featured today

• Advertisement

When did I say it was broken? :confused:

Maybe I picked you up wrong then.

Sounds like a perfectly acceptable turn of events to me anyway. One that's easily avoidable by learning how to play the game.

Maybe I picked you up wrong then.

Sounds like a perfectly acceptable turn of events to me anyway. One that's easily avoidable by learning how to play the game.

Are you new player to the simulation genre?

Are you new player to the simulation genre?

Yes :)

Yes :)

We bitch about mechanics a lot. Even about the games we like. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭simon360

Just got it today for 33 euro from cd key sites, although I got the Russian one ! I must say some things are on the point of rage like when people protest about the amount of germs when i have a clinic and a bleedin hospital! just them moaning about easily accessible stuff is annoying! Other than that I like it!

simon360 wrote: »
    Just got it today for 33 euro from cd key sites, although I got the Russian one ! I must say some things are on the point of rage like when people protest about the amount of germs when i have a clinic and a bleedin hospital! just them moaning about easily accessible stuff is annoying! Other than that I like it!

Germs has nothing to do with clinics or hospitals but pollution I believe. Hospitals etc only deal with the illnesses caused by the germs. I haven't looked into this side of the game that much so I don't know a huge amount about it though.

Germs has nothing to do with clinics or hospitals but pollution I believe. Hospitals etc only deal with the illnesses caused by the germs. I haven't looked into this side of the game that much so I don't know a huge amount about it though.

Low pollution and high education reduce germs. I think the wellness clinic also does.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Germs come from uneducated sims, garbage, pollution and radiation which it turn causes sick sims. Sick sims will travel to the hospital by themselves.
    Ambulances only pick up injured sims. The more sick sims you have the more patient rooms you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭simon360

Oh thanks! Also my friend was playing but kept getting Zombie outbreaks even though he also had clinics and that , Is that Germs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

So, Mass Effect 3 or Need for Speed Most Wanted (could maybe be swayed by Dead Space 3). I love the Burnout games but didn't really enjoy the last Need for Speed Hot Pursuit. What's Mass Effect like, as in what other games are like this?

Advertisement