Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Where's the cheapest place to get this ATM? Getting my pc next week, and may as well buy it while I can get the free game :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Julez wrote: »
    So, Mass Effect 3 or Need for Speed Most Wanted (could maybe be swayed by Dead Space 3). I love the Burnout games but didn't really enjoy the last Need for Speed Hot Pursuit. What's Mass Effect like, as in what other games are like this?

Mass Effect is an action/RPG. Big on story. From googling it myself, it seems highly recommended to play 1 and 2 before starting on the third, so that's put me off that. By the time I get through 1 and 2, chances are ME3 will be down in price anyway.

Dead Space 1 and 2 were both pretty great, and I've no real interest in racing games, so think I'll be going for Dead Space 3 as my free game. Doubt it's all that necessary to play Dead Space 1 and 2 before the third. Seems to be just more of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭simon360

By the way Mass effect bundle is 25 yoyos on Origin at them minute so maybe its better to pick another free game and get the bundle. Picked up Medal Of Honor Warfighter, hopefully it has the BF4 Beta!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Morpork wrote: »
    What's the name of the game? Sim City. What's Sim short for? Simulation. If it were a perfect simulation the power plant would turn away the unskilled workers and hire the skilled workers. The skilled workers would travel to the power plant and work there rather than the closest job to them.

Anyway, just for "fun" here's some more things wrong with the game:
    • Planes landing at the airport change colour when they finish taxiing.
    • The number of passengers per day don't update properly or not at all with the ferry.
    • Tourists don't use the Bus Terminal even when all other forms of transport are closed.
    • Water doesn't "recharge" beside the sea/river like the devs said it would.
    • Services such as the recycling trucks don't come to the city even though it says "covered by x with y amount of trucks".
    • Industry complains there's nowhere to ship freight despite empty trade depots right in front of them and no demand for commercial.
    • Same wealth residential and commercial will complain of no shops/customers despite being right beside each other.
    • Maxis man will drive around ignoring currently injured people and crimes in progress. Sometimes he will capture about 5 people in a row then return to the manor and the number of captured won't increase. He'll also get stuck in a never-ending loop going into the police station.
    • The police helicopter can just sit there forever and not track criminals in their homes despite it's description.
    • Great works can get stuck in the permitting stage forever.

And that's just stuff I can think of right now and that hasn't been mentioned yet.
    If anyone says this game isn't broken they're blind. It's a beta, end of story.

Can you send that list to Maxis and EA??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Downloading BF3 \o/

• Advertisement

I'd go get premium if you get BF3, worth it for all the maps! End Game is amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Merger

What are people downloading? I'm spoiled for choice!

Whatever you do do NOT get Medal of \Honor, no people playing MP :(

simon360 wrote: »
    Whatever you do do NOT get Medal of \Honor, no people playing MP :(

Ironically that's the one I wanted to get but had a feeling that would be the case. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Where's the cheapest place to get this ATM? Getting my pc next week, and may as well buy it while I can get the free game :p

Anybody ? :pac:

• Advertisement

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Anybody ? :pac:

I think a lot of us got it from Green Man Gaming (greenmangaming.com) because it was offering a discount on pre-ordered EU copies. Don't know if there is still a discount or not.

Some lad selling on adverts for 40 euro its limited edition too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

So the advice from the "learn to play noob" crowd re: nuclear power plants and workers seems to be "build bus stops" or "don't put uneducated Sims near power plants". I suppose that would be sound advice if it weren't for the fact that:

The Traffic system is broken.
    The Mass transit system is broken.
    The education system is broken.
    RCI zoning is broken.
    Job demand is broken.
    Worker levels and population numbers are broken.

Other than that, your point is sound, and it's all down to the user. :rolleyes:

So while it's possible to service the nuclear power plant's needs, in order to do so, you have to pander to broken or illogical game mechanics that are not as Maxis claimed, rather than logic and planning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

http://www.reddit.com/r/truegaming/comments/1amao8/simcity_2013_the_breakdown/

Having read this I agree the game is broken mechanically.

Anyone know any good mods for Sim City 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

So the advice from the "learn to play noob" crowd re: nuclear power plants and workers seems to be "build bus stops" or "don't put uneducated Sims near power plants". I suppose that would be sound advice if it weren't for the fact that:

The Traffic system is broken.
    The Mass transit system is broken.
    The education system is broken.
    RCI zoning is broken.
    Job demand is broken.
    Worker levels and population numbers are broken.

Other than that, your point is sound, and it's all down to the user. :rolleyes:

So while it's possible to service the nuclear power plant's needs, in order to do so, you have to pander to broken or illogical game mechanics that are not as Maxis claimed, rather than logic and planning.
    Think of it as an existential puzzle game.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I picked up NFS: Most Wanted last night, had some fun just bombing around the city (amazing how much of those maps come back to you after a while despite the fact that I hadn't played a NFS game in quite some time).

Anyway, back to Sim City...

I have to summarise my thoughts and I am being overly simplistic, but for all it's horrific flaws, I still really enjoy this game for some reason. I've found myself playing around in Sandbox mode a bit just for fun cause who doesn't want $1m to play with and all the cool stuff unlocked? :)

All that said, the agent routing needs to be fixed. It probably needs to be re-built from the ground up tbh. I don't know what they were aiming for with Glassbox, but they fell way short of the mark if they were trying to simulate a city.

I'm afraid that the damage done to the brand after all the lies and mis-information and fundamentally broken mechanics and supporting infrastructure will be extremely difficult to come back from. They say 1.1m copies have been sold - I'd believe it. But I don't know what the magic "sequel" number is for a PC only title is (I think it's been said that EA will do sequels to things if they sell 5m across all platforms). They may be looking at going down the very successful Sims model of content releases every 6 months though, but Sims plays on consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Barlett

Will patches fix this game then or is it screwed?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Patches will fix things like traffic, service vehicles getting stuck, stuff like that.

Engine flaws like population, jobs, etc.....that will probably be changed when the first expansion hits. That's probably eight months away.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Mc Love wrote: »
    Can you send that list to Maxis and EA??

Probably won't make a difference to be honest. With the hundreds of bugs i've seen listed on the official forums, these probably wont all ever be fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

** Gets email from EA: Free game for you cause our servers were horrible! Luckily we have fixed them all now and you can fully enjoy our excellent game!!!

Ok, the game is just frustratingly broken anyway but, a free game ... well I'll take it! Thanks EA!

** Looks at games.

Hmmm games not that bad - was expecting all manner of rubbish. I used to like BF1942 once so I'll go with BF3 and have a look.

** Clicks download game.

DOWNLOAD ERROR PLEASE TRY AGAIN LATER.

What was I expecting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Im actually looking forward more to going home and trying out NFS than booting up simcity

OMFG BF3 is AMAZING. Just started playing Campaign for the lolz..... Absolutely love it. Holy sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I double clicked on the SimCity icon and when it logged into Origin I got the message there about selecting my free game. I only bought the game yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

simon360 wrote: »
    Some lad selling on adverts for 40 euro its limited edition too!

Buying a second hand copy of a PC game? Why would anyone say thats a good idea?

joe123 wrote: »
    Buying a second hand copy of a PC game? Why would anyone say thats a good idea?

Well do you know that people on adverts.ie actually sell new games? if you actually bothered to look it up it said brand new, obviously I'm not as stupid to say a second hand game for sale -.-

Handbags away, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,772 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Goodshape wrote: »
    Um... no, I don't think I was :)

It's a known game mechanic that "workers" will travel to the nearest available job. Despite all the post-release uproar, this was clearly stated in pre-release videos. Someone posted one in this thread a few pages back. Either way, it's been very well documented since.

And so this guy puts a nuclear power plant in among a lot of uneducated workers and makes out like it's some sort of bug when the plant fills up with those workers. It's not. That's just how the game works.

Next time, put down some school bus stops.
    So the Nuclear Power Plant director is just supposed to hire the first illegal alien that comes in the door with the inability to multiply and divide?

I suppose similarly I could turn it into a tower defense game by putting a bunch of hot dog stands between the nuke plant and the educated workers

Wheres the Sim in this Simulation

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Overheal wrote: »
    So the Nuclear Power Plant director is just supposed to hire the first illegal alien that comes in the door with the inability to multiply and divide?

I suppose similarly I could turn it into a tower defense game by putting a bunch of hot dog stands between the nuke plant and the educated workers

Wheres the Sim in this Simulation

And that, good sir, is why people refer to the game as broken. If a sim game doesn't simulate, is it a simulator at all?

I need to submit that to a gamer fortune cookie :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Overheal wrote: »

It's not unheard of for a business to make a bad hire. If you surround a business district with residential, it seems likely that those people will apply for jobs in those near-by businesses.

Commercial and industrial employees in SimCity are more choosy but seems to be that the nuclear power plant will hire Homer Simpson if he's first in the door. Up to the player to make sure that doesn't happen!

It's funny because I could have sworn a few pages back people were complaining about education being just a blanket statistic, with no bearing on where you place schools / universities. Seems now people are equally pissed when it does make a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,772 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Goodshape wrote: »
    It's not unheard of for a business to make a bad hire. If you surround a business district with residential, it seems likely that those people will apply for jobs in those near-by businesses.
    "Yes, MR. Sanchez, I see hear you speak fluent spanish, but we do not have a record of your bachelors degree"

Advertisement