Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim City

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

any working coupon codes for greenmangaming

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Maximilian wrote: »
    I'm as big a fan of the series as anyone - I lost a lot of time to the very first sim city - but I find it very hard to understand the apologists in this instance.
    Likewise. I've sunk entire weekends into building cities in the first one (on DOS?) and also in SC2000.

Haven't played this once since they want to wipe my city out, having already lost a few hours of work.
    .ak wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but what did people get as their free game? I already have BF3, I wanna finish Mass Effect on my XBOX with my character, any other recommendations? Dead Space 3 any use? (Haven't finished the 2nd one yet tho)
    Still not sure. A flip between ME3 and NFS:MW. Is ME3 any good if you've never played any of the rest?
    any working coupon codes for greenmangaming
    Check GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS for the EU-version.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

the_syco wrote: »
    Likewise. I've sunk entire weekends into building cities in the first one (on DOS?) and also in SC2000.

Haven't played this once since they want to wipe my city out, having already lost a few hours of work.

Still not sure. A flip between ME3 and NFS:MW. Is ME3 any good if you've never played any of the rest?

Check GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS for the EU-version.

You can, it gives you a catch up at the beginning, but I'd suggest give ME2 a lash, at least.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Took the plunge, mainly because of that free game offer. No point waiting! Gonna get stuck in now and see how I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

It is getting better slowly but surely, I think this is still space on HokemPokems region in Server East 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,772 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

and no nuclear power plant has ever had an explosion. Banks and Oil companies are also regulated and they have never screwed up?
    None of them was the fault of an uneducated worker though. Planes crash too, so let anybody fly a plane?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

simon360 wrote: »

Well do you know that people on adverts.ie actually sell new games? if you actually bothered to look it up it said brand new, obviously I'm not as stupid to say a second hand game for sale -.-

Lol calm down. Didnt know it was brand new. Just trying to warn someone in case it was already used.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Okay, I'm going to wait for the dust to settle on this one before I decide on taking the plunge or not.

In the mean time, can anybody recommend the most recent alternative city simulator along the same lines? Involved is good, but preferably not too dry?

I've an unopened limited edition copy for sale if anyone is interested. My laptop isn't near good enough for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

I've an unopened limited edition copy for sale if anyone is interested. My laptop isn't near good enough for it

I am interested. PM me a price, please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Got attacked by zombies - had to go and bulldoze over 150 houses!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

http://kotaku.com/5991077/your-complete-guide-to-the-simcity-disaster

Sums up the game for me.

Maxis have gone waaaay down the respect list after this, EA were always down.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I miss powerlines. In SC2000, I could link a power station to somewhere that needed power. Now, I have power in one section, but it won't go to another section, as I don't have a road going from the power station directly to where the place that needs power, as there are buildings in the way (that give me money to build things.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Joyce88

I'll be on most of tomorrow if anyone fancys a game? chip beck on origin if you do. Any boards worlds been created yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Thinking of going back to SC4 because as soon as I have a successful city, I run out of space, then start adding things which just fcuks it up - there doesnt appear to be any way forward. Its rather especially annoying when you have so much free space around the city which cant be used :(

EDIT: Just tried SC4 however I like too many of the new features of the new game, that i wouldn't enjoy playing it, plus the graphics suck. Hope EA fix the game soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Dcully wrote: »

Sums up the game for me.

Wow, that is unreal. I didn't buy it and had no intention of ever buying it, but despite all this mess they've still sold a huge number of copies. You'd wonder how much they really care beyond that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

danthefan wrote: »
    Wow, that is unreal. I didn't buy it and had no intention of ever buying it, but despite all this mess they've still sold a huge number of copies. You'd wonder how much they really care beyond that.

its damaged the brand badly they'll be lucky to break a million with the sequel. Maxis' good rep with gamers is gone for the most part with the lies that they told.

I imagine a lot of those sales were pre-orders i would love to see the week one sales (-launch) and week two sales as i imagine they're quite low compared to games with similar sales

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2013/0319/377354-ea-ceo-riccitiello/

Turns out the CEO of ea is resigning. RTE mentions the simcity fiasco in this article. Perhaps a new CEO will bring a new hope for games produced by ea? Hopefully this is good news for the future of simcity.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I wont buying the next game, that for sure. Got it for 35 and the free game, so not all bad but wow did they **** up such an easy game to get right. Fair play for that! Still will get a few hours out of it but nothing compared to what I would have put into it if they didnt screw it up so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Eoin247 wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2013/0319/377354-ea-ceo-riccitiello/

Turns out the CEO of ea is resigning. RTE mentions the simcity fiasco in this article. Perhaps a new CEO will bring a new hope for games produced by ea? Hopefully this is good news for the future of simcity.

Very old news :P

EDIT:
    The stock went from trading as high as $61.62 in October 2007 to yesterday’s close of $18.71. After EA announced Mr Riccitiello's departure, the stock rose 67 cents, or 3.6%, to $19.38.

O_O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Its a no brainer really they will deffo lift the tile size restriciton when the game is patched and running better....no way on earth they will keep it that size for the life of the game. But I would not touch another simcity game after this one....I am still having a bit of fun with it. But I wish I did not buy the fancy pants deluxe edition for €70!!!!

**** Big Ben and the fancy double decker buses n ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

When I chose dead space 3 in the free game offer it says 'You do not meet the requirements to download this game'
    Anyone else have this issue. Definitely not a hardware issue as I have a gaming PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Dazza wrote: »
    When I chose dead space 3 in the free game offer it says 'You do not meet the requirements to download this game'
    Anyone else have this issue. Definitely not a hardware issue as I have a gaming PC.

When did you buy SC?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

When did you buy SC?

Like a week ago. I don't get that error with any other game

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Age restriction maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Sums up the game for me.

Lets ignore that Kotaku have zero credibility in the industry due to writing nonsense articles and misleading headlines and look at what he talks about.

You can't play Simcity on a plane? Is that a serious complaint so for the few hours 2 or 3 times a year you will not be able to play on a plane so what.

Deployed Soldiers in Iraq can't play? Well yes they can same way they play SWTOR, WOW, BF3.

You can't play when the servers are down? So just like every multiplayer game ever made !

Maxis make the game but everyone is mad at EA? This is just washed away saying the two are interchangeable. As if EA the publisher dictates to the developers of the biggest selling PC game in history. What next they will dictate to DICE about how to make BF4?.

On day one, the game didn't work. Day two? Game didn't work.? Well it did work that is why the servers where full! The game worked for the vast majority of people. A large % still had issues but these lasted for around 2 days.

Piracy? Piracy has nothing to do with it, next they will be saying DICE requires an always online connection for player to play BF3 multiplayer because of pirates !!

If you bought SimCity, you're getting a free game! Well, a free PC game. Published by EA? Seriously is he listing that EA are giving PC gamers a PC game for free as a negative? What should they have done given them an Xbox game?

All the time I hope the irony that Kotaku requires a always on connection to work is not lost on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,772 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The article elaborates: theres a reason that is clearly defined why WOW is online, why Counterstrike is online, wtc

There are fewer clear reasons why SC is online

The complaint is more alike to Assassins Creed

"The Game Worked for the vast majority of people" "A large % still had issues" lol

Piracy has nothing to do with it? You really have forgotten what publisher we're talking about, haven't you. EA has a very clear, transparent history about how much it hates piracy and even videogame reselling, and how they have been trying their darndest to stamp it out in all its forms. Your argument might make more sense if Simcity was say, published by Stardock, and still required online connectivity.

The argument about the free game is fairly valid. A lot of their collection is shyte. There is a reason I won't touch a Command and Conquer game again, and it's a tragedy. I've seen better customer service, thats all I'll say to that. I've seen customers get ****ty fridges from company A who will then offer to buy them a new fridge, even if the customer chooses to buy their replacement from B C or D. Thats customer service. A lot better than "We're sorry our products suck. Here, have some of our broken products, free!"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

If you bought SimCity, you're getting a free game! Well, a free PC game. Published by EA? Seriously is he listing that EA are giving PC gamers a PC game for free as a negative? What should they have done given them an Xbox game?

I dont want a ****ing free game, i have every game the listed anyways.
    Even if i didnt have those game s i still dont want a free game i want a Sim City that works, no im not talking about the online issues, im talking about the countless other issues mostly down to Maxis.

Seriously you cannot defend this game, anyone still trying to do so are deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Overheal wrote: »
    The article elaborates: theres a reason that is clearly defined why WOW is online, why Counterstrike is online, wtc

There are fewer clear reasons why SC is online

The complaint is more alike to Assassins Creed

"The Game Worked for the vast majority of people" "A large % still had issues" lol

Piracy has nothing to do with it? You really have forgotten what publisher we're talking about, haven't you. EA has a very clear, transparent history about how much it hates piracy and even videogame reselling, and how they have been trying their darndest to stamp it out in all its forms. Your argument might make more sense if Simcity was say, published by Stardock, and still required online connectivity.

The argument about the free game is fairly valid. A lot of their collection is shyte. There is a reason I won't touch a Command and Conquer game again, and it's a tragedy. I've seen better customer service, thats all I'll say to that. I've seen customers get ****ty fridges from company A who will then offer to buy them a new fridge, even if the customer chooses to buy their replacement from B C or D. Thats customer service. A lot better than "We're sorry our products suck. Here, have some of our broken products, free!"

EA has a very clear, transparent history about how much it hates piracy !

Whatever next a bank that hates bank robberies? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Seriously you cannot defend this game, anyone still trying to do so are deluded.

Most of the people I see blindly defending it are confusing it as a regular game rather than a simulation game. I can understand that, as a game it's quite fun in many ways. As a simulation though it's pretty broken in several key areas.

The closest I can think of as an analogy is people complaining that Arma isn't Call of Duty or vice versa, or judging the gameplay of one based on the other.

Advertisement