Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lodging a complaint with a Minister

• 16-02-2013 2:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone ever lodged a complaint to the relevant Minister relating to issues they had with something public sector related?

If you have, were your issues addressed in a timely manner? Did you even receive a response by the office of said Minister?

Thanks in advance,
    kerry4sam

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You will 99% of the time get an acknowledgement. It will usually promise investigation.

Depending on the inclination of the relevant assistant, minister and departmental official (in that order) you may or may not get a proper reply and/or action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Victor wrote: »
    You will 99% of the time get an acknowledgement. It will usually promise investigation.

Depending on the inclination of the relevant assistant, minister and departmental official (in that order) you may or may not get a proper reply and/or action.

This has been my own experience, that is to say you will get an acknowledgement that they are looking into it. Then you can let 6, 8 or even 12 weeks pass and not hear anything. If you send a follow up email you might then get a reply but it really seems to depend on the whim of a department official whether or not it happens. If it is an awkward question that they would prefer put their head in the sand on then I wouldn't expect anything. If it is something that they can do something about at little cost/time/effort to themselves then there is a good chance that they'll get back to you and point out how they addressed your concerns and what they've done about it.

An example of this is earlier this year I emailed the Taoiseach, Tanasite and President about the same issue with the exact same wording in the email. I was suggessting to them that Chcuk Feeney should be given some sort of national recognition for the €1 billion+ he has donated to Irish education projects over the years as he is getting on in age and the opportunity to say thanks on behalf of the Irish people might be missed.

Unknown to me at the time I sent the email there were already advanced plans in place to honour him for his philanthropy All three offices got back to me claiming that they had listened to my suggestion and that Chuck was going to be honoured at an event on X date and that they themselves were instrumental in making it happen. More than likely at least two of the three replies were claiming credit for something they didn't do but heh, I was just glad that he was honoured and couldn't care less for who actually was behind the decision, I was more so concerned about the fact that it was done which in fairness to them it was- that is all that mattered, not the taking of credit for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Victor wrote: »

True.

But the 'disinclined' assistant may be re energised by mentioning the Ombudsman or Freedom of Information in subsequent correspondence.

They are the only tools at your disposal if you hit a brick wall!

Advertisement