Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guide to opening a grocery store?

Options
  • 16-02-2013 2:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

There's a vacant grocery shop for rent near my house that I've had my eye on for a while :D It's in the suburbs of limerick and smack bang in the middle of 300 houses with the nearest competition a good walk down onto the main road. It's been empty for a few years now but I think it has the potential to be a nice little earner. Problem is, I don't have a clue about running a business like this :o Is there any sort of a startup guide out there? Who should I go to for advice? I have a head for figures and I'm good at coming up with ideas but I'm clueless about the day to day running :confused: Any help would be appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

A grocery store is very hard to run even for people who know what they are doing. If the unit has been empty for years, it might need a lot of work to get it into a good condition which is going to cost a few bob. Then theres the cost involved in stocking the shop. So fit out and stock is already costing a lot of cash and if you dont know what your doing you could risk loosing it all. Have you done a business plan and market research in the area?

To get the experience your going to need you would be best working in an established store and learning the ropes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

It's really not the kind of business you'd want to get into without a bucketload of experience. These things are still closing down all over the place.
    If you're not a grocery retailer, don't get into the business. The pitfalls are way too numerous to mention.
    There are no guides or lessons or courses. Experience is the requirement. But even the best grocery retailers are closing shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭power101

Sounds like Glynns old shop on the North Circular. Decide whether you want to run it all by yourself or go into partnership with Spar/Mace/Supervalu etc.

You need to think about the following 1) Product Sourcing , 2) Back office systems & Front office EPOS Systems 3) Fitout 4) Breakeven point(does it make sense) 5) Do you need to hire people 6) Margins/Experience

There's a bit. Its not impossible. It would be better if you had experience running a shop. You would need anywhere from 70-100k to set it all up id say. Including Fitout, Epos & stock

Advertisement