Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clematis armandii or honeysuckle halls prolific

• 16-02-2013 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

I want to get a climber for an east facing wall-3m long x 2m high. its mostly in shade. Planted winter jasmine last autumn but don't think will provide enough year round coverage so was thinking of one of these as companion plant. heard armandii can swamp a small space as leaves so large. Also don't want climber growing much higher than 3m-would it flop over the wall? it looks gorgeous though. Would honeysuckle spread enough. Help!! Really want to cover the wall in the next year

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

seefin wrote: »
    I want to get a climber for an east facing wall-3m long x 2m high. its mostly in shade.

Although the C.Armandii requires full sun I'd Still go with this. But Find a Scented Cultivar.... I remember one called 'Apple Blossm' White with Light Pink sweet Scented Flowers.

Would honeysuckle spread enough. Should do, however if it's the plant I know it has NO Scent and the flowers aren't exactly eye catching.

Help!! Really want to cover the wall in the next year
    Just to make a comment that if you find a Climber that can cover your wall this quickly it will tend to keep on growing and cover a lot more that just your wall.

C.Armandii can be Pruned, and if you were my Neighbor I wouldn't complain if your Scented Armandii trespassed on to my side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I want to get a climber for an east facing wall-3m long x 2m high. its mostly in shade. Planted winter jasmine last autumn but don't think will provide enough year round coverage so was thinking of one of these as companion plant. heard armandii can swamp a small space as leaves so large. Also don't want climber growing much higher than 3m-would it flop over the wall? it looks gorgeous though. Would honeysuckle spread enough. Help!! Really want to cover the wall in the next year

Clematis Armandii is a lovely climber and will do very well on an east facing wall.

The leaves are evergreen and longish yet narrow,the flowers and scent is amazing.Get your soil condition right,and it will take off.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Paddy147, I'm going to be doing something very much the same as you did in the above pics, can I ask you if the plant is coming out of a pot or whats the story?

catallus wrote: »
    Paddy147, I'm going to be doing something very much the same as you did in the above pics, can I ask you if the plant is coming out of a pot or whats the story?

No pots were used in the planting of this clematis into the ground.

My girlfriends dad actually bought it for me as a little house warming present..as he knows Im starting to get into the gardening and enjoy it.:)

Planted it directly in a raised bed that herself constructed,and shoveled in good quality topsoil,compost,manure and horticultural grit.

I actually snapped the top of the clematis off,when I was taking it out of its pot to plant it....so much for me being carefull.:eek::o:pac::D

After around 2 weeks it started to grow,and from then on it just took off....thank god for my sake.:D

catallus wrote: »

Oh and the trelis frames are stained black and then fitted onto 4 lengths of PT 2 x 1 battons that are also stained black.

These battons are drilled into the pebble dashed wall with 7mm rawl plugs and 80mm decking screws.

Trelis frame screwed into the battons with 35mm stainless steel screws.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

paddy147 wrote: »

Clematis Armandii is a lovely climber and will do very well on an east facing wall.

The leaves are evergreen and longish yet narrow,the flowers and scent is amazing.Get your soil condition right,and it will take off.:)

Good to hear should be ok without sun and won't take over. Armandii it is then. Have wire mesh on most of wall, would that be strong enough or would i need a trellis?
    Total gardening virgin in case wasn't obvious(!!) but really getting into it the past year

Good to hear should be ok without sun and won't take over. Armandii it is then. Have wire mesh on most of wall, would that be strong enough or would i need a trellis?
    Total gardening virgin in case wasn't obvious(!!) but really getting into it the past year

Either or..whichever you like the look of.

Just make sure the screw in wire/vine eyes are proper outdoor ones,and are galvanized and that so too is the wire,,,otherwize it will all rust to bits and not look very nice.

You could also use green plastic coated garden wire...it can be bought on a spool for 2-3 euro in most garden and diy stores.

Advertisement