Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fortune & Doyle of Wexford

• 16-02-2013 10:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    A friend has asked me to do some research of his family. Luckily, there was a lot of info on line. So Patrick Doyle b c1825, apparently from Clongan ? (maybe Clongeen) married Ellen Fortune from Sheephouse, probably civil parish of Mulrankin. Family Search gives details of all the baptism & marriage records of all their family in Santa Fe, Argentina, An hour's research and I was able to give him more details than he ever thought possible. Not surprisingly, most of the family married into other Irish families.

Roots Irl is not showing any baptism of an Ellen born to Nicholas Fortune c1830, are there any other Wexford records available? Any other alternative for Clongan?

So it seems a large number of Wexford families went off to Argentina c1850s, anyone know how that started?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

RootsIreland have records for only a handful of Co. Wexford parishes at the moment - about 3 or 4 RC parishes and 1 CofI last time I checked..

Dont know of any other major online sources for parish records for Wexford at the moment.

RC records for Clongeen parish are available in the NLI, on microfilm Pos. 4261. Baptisms and marriages are covered back to 1847.

Shane

Mulrankin civil parish was part of Kilmore RC parish. Records are on NLI film Pos. 4246. This covers baptisms and marriages back to 1752 - with some gaps in the early 1800s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Thanks Shane for the NLI references. I will look them up when I next get a chance to visit.

I have now found a book on line on the Irish in Argentina which will probably give the background to the immigration of the Wexford and Westmeath familes.

Cheers,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

There is a thread on here from sometime last year that is all about the Irish in Argentina

Here it is http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056677886?page=1#post_79325226

there's a map of the RC parishes in Co. Wexford on the Irish Times website which helps with the areas covered, and dates available for each parish - see :

RC Parishes Wexford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Shane, Coolnabacky,

Sorry for the delay in thanking you both for the additional links. It will make interesting research even if my Argentinian friend speaks/reads little English. It now appears that a number of the Fortune family from Mulrankin immigrated to Argentina and they generally married other emigrants from Wexford.

Advertisement