Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ear piercings

• 16-02-2013 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I am looking for some advice regarding ear piercing in primary school. Recently my six year old daughter got her ears pierced. They are tiny little studs in her ears. When I collected her from school her senior infant teacher called me aside and told me ear piercing are not allowed in the school. I said I wasn't aware of that, but she said that I have to take them out or my daughter wouldn't be allowed participate in pe which is two days I week. I said I didn't want my daughter to miss out on pe so the following morning I sent her in with plasters covering her earrings. She was sent to a juniors class that day while her class played pe & the following day she sat on the bench in the pe class while the class participated in pe again. I am meeting with the principle next week, but apparently there is no bending of the rules and I must remove them, the school even suggested that I remove them before school and insert them after school, but her ears are only newly pierced & I feel this would be awful & painful for a six year old to go through. If anyone else has been in the same situation I would greatly appreciate hearing what happened. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭_ariadne

In my class there's a large notice on the door stating that earrings (even covered) must be removed for PE. so the parents can't claim they weren't warned!
    All the same two kids came back after xmas with newly pierced ears and they have both had to miss every PE session since. Its a real pity, the parents were not happy but at the end of the day all I could suggest was that they remove the earrings and get them re-pierced at the beginning of the summer. Neither has done that.
    Another problem is children with earrings who are unable to remove them themselves for PE. We are not allowed to help them (again this is on the door sign) and so they too miss out on PE!

My genuine advice would be to remove the earrings and get them redone in the summer, I doubt the school will back down on this and as you said removing and replacing new piercings every day would not be sensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Clifford34 wrote: »
    Hi, I am looking for some advice regarding ear piercing in primary school. Recently my six year old daughter got her ears pierced. They are tiny little studs in her ears. When I collected her from school her senior infant teacher called me aside and told me ear piercing are not allowed in the school. I said I wasn't aware of that, but she said that I have to take them out or my daughter wouldn't be allowed participate in pe which is two days I week. I said I didn't want my daughter to miss out on pe so the following morning I sent her in with plasters covering her earrings. She was sent to a juniors class that day while her class played pe & the following day she sat on the bench in the pe class while the class participated in pe again. I am meeting with the principle next week, but apparently there is no bending of the rules and I must remove them, the school even suggested that I remove them before school and insert them after school, but her ears are only newly pierced & I feel this would be awful & painful for a six year old to go through. If anyone else has been in the same situation I would greatly appreciate hearing what happened. Thanks
    There's the problem.
    Easily remedied; just remove the earrings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I really don't see how plasters covering your daughters ears were supposed to protect her from any risk of injury.

Personally if I were you I'd remove them now and get them done again in the summer.

Her ears may look pretty pierced now but they will not look pretty if one of the earlobes is ripped due the earring (eek and the pain to your daughter :eek:). IMO the plasters could assist this happening.

Best just remove them as the school has requested. Otherwise your daughter will have to miss PE (for the sake of pretty ears lobes!) and that is not fair on her.

Ps. It's a pity the school had not made you aware of this rule before they were done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

amdublin wrote: »

Ps. It's a pity the school had not made you aware of this rule before they were done.
    good question!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

amdublin wrote: »

In fairness, it's a common sense approach towards safety and schools can't be expected to provide you with every single rule and regulation upfront. This is where a parent has to exercise their own common sense. If you want to familiarise yourself with the rules and regulations, school policies are most likely available on request.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Clifford34 wrote: »
    Quote]

Have any of the teachers got their ears pierced? That rule annoys me quite a bit. Once kids aren't wearing massive hoopy earrings I can't see how little studs would be a problem once they are looked after and cleaned properly after being done.
    I have my own pierced quite a few times and I remember having an argument with a pe coach in teacher training college who insisted I take them all out. I did so begrudglingy but later in the lesson got a full force basketball in the face which knocked and broke my glasses off my face! So perhaps I would argue that they are as big a danger to h&s as tiny studs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

Girls in my class all have their ears pierced but anything other than studs aren't allowed. Only problem is half the time I dont notice being a man! But I can understand why they aren't allowed. I had one little girl complaining of them being sore last week after getting them pierced. The rough and tumble of the yard/pe, getting a bang or having them pulled out is exceptionally high so err on the side of caution. Surely at 6 she won't care if she has them or not especially when the pals aren't wearing them either?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Kathnora

If SOME parents weren't in the habit of finding fault with the school and threatening to sue the school every time a child has an accident then it may not be necessary to enforce a rule such as this one about earrings. If I think back to my own childhood in the 60s when children wore stud earrings and indeed big hoopy ones too there was no such thing as "blaming" the school and looking for "compo" when the child got an earring yanked out during play time. So, I think Clifford34 you can put the blame on the suing culture of SOME parents!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

In fairness, it's a common sense approach towards safety and schools can't be expected to provide you with every single rule and regulation upfront. This is where a parent has to exercise their own common sense. If you want to familiarise yourself with the rules and regulations, school policies are most likely available on request.

For something like this, the school absolutely should provide the rules up front. It is not uncommon for girls of this age to have pierced ears. Many babies of Spanish families get their ears pierced when they are just months old. If the school has a rule, they need to communicate it clearly to parents in advance.

OP - Can you clarify if this rule was included in the stuff you got from the school?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

I work in a primary school. The problem is that, while on the playground, some children can get their ears caught in tops/coats etc. Some parents insist that their 5 year old should come to school with earrings...it's fine, but on school property, the earring needs to be covered. It might need a plaster, but it's for reasons of safety.

• Advertisement
Advertisement