Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppie problem

Options
  • 16-02-2013 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I have a 3 months old shih tzu cross puppie.. we tried toliet training her in all the possible ways we know but none of them seam to be working .
    We put the paper , waked her every 2 hours and she still does her business everywhere in the house . Even when we take her for long walkes she doesn't do her business inside but after we come in she does in where ever she is standing !! Any advice on what to do ?? how to make her do her business outside instead of at home ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

3 months is still very young. Patience is key.

With our Shih Tzu, I did a bit of reading up on toilet training as I hadn't done it for years. What I learned was to watch for the 'triggers'. So you have to take the dog out after she's eaten, played (they get a bit excited!), after a sleep. We managed to get the dog 'dry' within a couple of weeks!

We took the dog outside, and stayed there until he'd done his business. When he wee'd, we say 'Wee Wee - good boy!' get really excited, praise him like mad and bring him in. Same thing for his No. 2's. Use whatever words you like, but whenever she goes, use the same words, get excited and use lots of praise. There's bound to be a few accidents until she gets the idea, but NEVER tell her off. Just clean it up without comment.

What are you using to clean up the mess? I'd get some Trigene to clean up with or a little biological soap mixed with water. It'll discourage the dog from using the same spot to soil.

Be prepared to get up a couple of times in the night to take her out too. Puppies aren't able to hold on for very long.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

A 3 month old puppy shouldn't be going on long walks, the of thumb is 5 mins per month of age, so 15 mins is enough, I would break that into 3 small 5 mins walks.
    Playing in the garden isn't included so that can be as often as you like.
    The best way to house train a puppy is just to watch it all the time, if you see it starting to squat distract (call its name or something no harsh noises or shouting no), pick up and go outside, wait patiently for it to go and then praise like mad.
    When pup wakes up, pick up and bring outside until it goes, when it eats wait few minutes and go outside and wait until it goes, if it drinks it will pee very soon after so go outside and wait. If in the house and it hasn't gone in a while and you see it slow down or start sniffing, pick it up and go outside until it goes.
    The trick is the waiting outside until it goes, ignore if you can until it goes, then praise like mad.
    Pup will quickly learn that you ignore it until it goes, so will go quicker.
    Also if it goes in the house, it is not the pups fault, ignore it and clean up, then watch closer for next time.
    Do you have a crate? I crate trained both my dogs and it really helps with the toilet training, it does mean getting up in the night a couple of times but mine were house trained very fast this way.

posted same time as above, I also use a command, "Do your business" its very handy if we go anywhere I can tell them when and where to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Just a thought OP. The puppy is only three months old. Has she had all her shots yet?

I also agree about the long walks. How long are you walking her for? Her joints are very soft, and developing. You might damage them if you walk her for too long.

Yes, I also used a crate with my dog, but not really for toilet training. We did it so that he would have a 'quiet area' for himself. What we did was line one side with newspaper, the other with a bit of vet bed. He didn't like to lie where he soiled (of course!), so he stopped weeing in his crate fairly quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I also only used the crate for night time training, but left it open in the daytime and mine used them to sleep or bring their toys in for a chew.
    They will come out of it for a pee so bring them outside if they were in it for a while.
    Night time tip, open the crate and carry dog outside or they will pee on the way as they just woke up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

As the others have said, take her outside when SHE wakes up, please stop waking her up, puppies need their sleep. Paper means you have to train twice, take her outside, stay with her until she goes, then lots and lots of praise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 osnapitsanna.

i had a crate for her but we got rid of it after a month ...i take her for 10 min walks but she doesn't like walking around she just stand in the same place for 5 min so i don't think i can call it a long walk ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

We've had the same problem with our boxer pup. Only difference was she was drinking gallons of water and weeing very frequently as a result. Turns out she had a bladder infection and is now on a course of antibiotics. I'm not saying that's the issue here as she's only 3 months and it does take time to train them but worth keeping it in mind in case the problem continues. I wish we'd have got ours checked sooner. Good luck.

Advertisement