Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antenatal Classes in Sligo

• 16-02-2013 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    I'm 22 weeks pregnant and have been told to look into antenatal classes.
    It's my first pregnancy and I'm 20 years old. I was wondering if anybody could give me advice as to which class to attend and when I should start going? Thank you :')

p.s and idea of prices would be great too!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Hi jennii I'm in Sligo too the antenatal classes are run by hse and are free they are usually held in markievicz health centre. Ask at your next midwife clinic they will be able to give you dates for when classes are on. If you are interested in breastfeeding le leche league runs breastfeeding meeting 2nd Monday of every month in the family resource centre on the mall 10.00-12.00 pregnant women are very welcome and you will get great advice on birth, breastfeeding and parenting. I went when I was pregnant and it was the best thing I ever done I got so much advice and support in the early days after my lo was born

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Jennii.

That's great. Thank you so much :) are the breastfeeding classes free too?

Yes they are free but usually everyone gives a small donation as its a non profit organisation, so whatever you can spare €1 or 2. The next meeting will Monday 11th of march. It's more of a support group rather than classss just breastfeeding and pregnant moms sharing advice and having a chat it's really nice. I went when I was pregnant and found it great. After I had my boy I needed some help and advice and was able to ring Catherine, the women who runs it, and she gave me great help :) I think it makes it easier to ask for help if you have already met or built up a relationship with someone first.
    Hse also run a bf prep class which I went to tbh I found it crap, some of the info and advice they gave was totally wrong. It was the 1st one they had done so maybe that had something to do with it and maybe it's better now. It's also free just as nurse at your next appointment.

Thanks a million, I will definitely be checking them out :) I won't be the only young one there will I? Cause I'm only 20 and would feel awkward haha

:) well the hse one was packed no idea what it's like now. The one I go to is the le leche and there's always a good mix of people there. I was feeling the same as you when I went I was 27 and worried everyone would be so much older and Id have nothing in common with anyone and be sitting like a loner on my own. But honestly everyone is so nice and I've made friends there people who I meet up with outside the group too.

• Advertisement

Sounds really good. The support would be amazing right now :) Thank you!!

No problem. Will hopefully see you at the next meeting :)

Advertisement