Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maitrise en Droit?

Options
  • 16-02-2013 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi guys, I am not in college yet, I am doing my Leaving Cert. I have been really thinking about doing the Maitrise en Droit for a long time but recently I have had some doubts. I want to ask present students some questions about the course:
    i) Are all the lectures done through French?
    ii) What will I be qualified as afterwards? Will I be qualified to practise law in Ireland the same as any other Law graduate or will I have to immigrate?
    iii) If I do this course (or any other Law course) will I be able to work in a company as a lawyer or will I have to practise law in a private firm as a solicitor?
    iv) My friend who is in UCD told me that no male ever passed this course. Is this true (because I am a male)?
    v) Would I be better off doing Law and French Law or Business and Law?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭hames

I was considering it too, but the advice I've heard so far has put me off. There has also been speculation about the course being discontinued. It has not been a resounding success, many seem to have switched to Law and French over the past few years. most people find the Paris element of the course very difficult, that's why they had to introduce Toulouse.

If I were to do it I'd only be doing it as a means of studying at Paris II, but it seems as though the link may not still be there in 2 years time when 2013 students will be due to go there.

Personally I am going for Law & French as a more suitable alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GlobalSun

Hi there !

I am affiliated with the Association of BCL/Maîtrise students in Paris/UCD. If you need any proper advice regarding the degree, feel free to MP me and I can get you in contact with current students.

However, the Paris aspect of it, is indeed really hard, period. Even for French students. There's generally only one Irish student who ends up with the actual degree. Most of them switch to Law with French. However, exceptionally this year, two Irish girls will end up with the degree hopefully.

Regarding the Maîtrise in Paris :

A - All courses are taught in French and BCL/Maîtrise students are in the same tutorial classes as regular students in 4th year. However, BCL/Maîtrise students have their own tutorials in 3rd year.

B - You will earn a BCL and a Maîtrise which do not qualify you to practice as you would need to either take the Bar in Ireland or in France. However, those two degrees qualify you to take the Bar exam in Ireland or France.

C - A male has actually passed this course in 2011 if I recall and he did really well afterwards. I don't know what your friend told you but it's not true. Male or Female, anyone can pass if they have the ability to.

D - If you're unsure of your French level, I'd suggest go for Business and Law because even if you were to take Law with French, French classes are still hard. Those French classes are quite demanding and it's quite hard to get an A in them. Some really good students have their GPA lowered because of that one class. I'm not trying to discourage you at all though, because it's a very interesting course ! Law with French is more selective than Business and Law so if you were to take Law with French you'd have an edge. But it all comes down to your career prospects in the end.

Truthfully, Paris II is really hard. You have isolate yourself for two years to graduate, no kidding. Having a social life is almost impossible, really. But then again, you end up with two degrees and a major advantage over other Irish graduates. You really have to be willing to work. It's hard work.

The degree has not been a success on the Irish side but it doesn't mean you're gonna fail too !

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭hames

GlobalSun wrote: »
    a major advantage over other Irish graduates.
    Only if you want to work in French practice.

Otherwise, even if you want to work in EU Law, there is no serious reason not to study Law and French.

When I asked this question before (in real life, but also including on this site) I would say the unanimous answer was that if you want to work in Ireland (or the EU), there is no benefit to studying this degree over a degree with a higher success rate like Law and French.

There are also some misgivings about studying the Irish part of the course in 2 years instead of 3 or 4.

Just my 2c.

Advertisement