Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Snail shells deteriorating

Options
  • 16-02-2013 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I have kept golden apple snails for a while now. Looking closely at their shells they seem to be degrading away and look in poor condition.

Could anyone advise what is causing this and if there is a remedy to get their shell stronger?

Barr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

All shelled animals (snails, shrimp, etc) do better in harder water, rich in calcium. This lets them regenerate their shells.

What is your PH reading as? I'm taking a wild guess and thinking your water is too soft for these guys.

Are you using RO water? If yes, are you adding re-mineralisation salts to it? RO water is completely stripped of all nutrients and minerals, and needs something added to it, before you can use it for tank water.

Other than that, are you on mains water? If yes, maybe you aren't removing chlorine from your water?

What are you feeding them? Are you letting them get access to pellets/wafers, or are you having them as scavengers? Scanvenging can work for a while, but really they should be getting fed as much as any other tank inhabitants.

Lastly, what is your Nitrate count? Most animals don't appreciate Nitrate above 50ppm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

CruelCoin wrote: »
    All shelled animals (snails, shrimp, etc) do better in harder water, rich in calcium. This lets them regenerate their shells.

What is your PH reading as? I'm taking a wild guess and thinking your water is too soft for these guys.

Are you using RO water? If yes, are you adding re-mineralisation salts to it? RO water is completely stripped of all nutrients and minerals, and needs something added to it, before you can use it for tank water.

Other than that, are you on mains water? If yes, maybe you aren't removing chlorine from your water?

What are you feeding them? Are you letting them get access to pellets/wafers, or are you having them as scavengers? Scanvenging can work for a while, but really they should be getting fed as much as any other tank inhabitants.

Lastly, what is your Nitrate count? Most animals don't appreciate Nitrate above 50ppm.

Thanks for you reply :). Just to answer your questions.

My PH is 6.4, I'm not using RO water.

On mains but using a water conditioner very time I do a water change.

I feed them algae wafers although they are supposed to eat decaying plants as well.

My Nitrate is quite low as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Barr wrote: »
    Thanks for you reply :). Just to answer your questions.

My PH is 6.4, I'm not using RO water.

On mains but using a water conditioner very time I do a water change.

I feed them algae wafers although they are supposed to eat decaying plants as well.

My Nitrate is quite low as well.

They could also benefit from something fresh, not rotten. (try blanched courgette, or drop some frozen peas into the tank.

PH of 6.4 is very low. The vast majority of fish/inverts prefer 6.6-7.4. Very few tolerate 6.4-6.6. Try raising the ph if you can.
    Apple snails need harder water to be able to regenerate their shells, and acid water prevents this. If a shell gets damaged (snail falls off a rock or something), then it can use calcium in the water to regenerate the shell. If little to no calcium is present (acid tanks) then this can't happen, and the shell will slowly deteriorate over time.

Another possibility is copper. Inverts and many fish cannot tolerate copper in the water.

You might get some more answers here: http://www.applesnail.net/content/various/snail_disease.php

Advertisement