Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shadow people & strange noises???

Options
  • 16-02-2013 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi
    Just looking for some advice. Some strange stuff has been happening in my boyfriend's house. He hears noises like heavy footsteps in the attic (which is converted into a bedroom with wooden floors), a light outside this room that doesn't work sometimes turns on by itself, other lights will turn on and off, the oven sometimes will be on by itself and the weirdest thing of all is sometimes he sees a shadowy figure. Noone else has seen the figure and sometimes his family come to stay and they have never seen anything.
    Just yesterday we were chatting in the landing when my boyfriend's face dropped and he said "there's somebody in there" and ran to one of the bedrooms. When he came back out he said he saw a shadowy figure watching us from the door (door was ajar) I was facing a different way so didn't see anything. He said when he ran at the door the figure moved to the side and was gone. We both then started hearing heavy footsteps and movement from the attic. We then got scared so went downstairs and turned on the tv until the sounds stopped.
    Has anyone had any sort of experience with this type of thing or any explanations are welcome? My boyfriend doesn't really want to talk about it as it freaks him out (don't blame him as he has to live on his own in the house!) The house is maybe 15 years old at the most and only one family lived in it before him, a young family with two kids who are all still alive!
    I did a bit of research online and found out about an entity called shadow people??? Has anyone heard about them?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The first thing you need to do is tackle this from a rational angle, and look for real world reasons. Looking up paranormal explanations initially will do nothing but freak you out. Fear is self generating and contagious. I am NOT saying I dont believe you or that there isnt weird stuff going on, but making yourself more edgy and afraid will not help things.
    He hears noises like heavy footsteps in the attic (which is converted into a bedroom with wooden floors)
    Check for settling noises as the house heats up and cools down, an infestation of mice etc, or draughts
    a light outside this room that doesn't work sometimes turns on by itself,
    As you have said this does not work, I would immediately presume its faulty, with a short in the circuit. Get it checked.
    other lights will turn on and off, the oven sometimes will be on by itself
    ditto on the electrics. You need to rule out any problem from a safety aspect apart from anything else.
    and the weirdest thing of all is sometimes he sees a shadowy figure.
    Seeing shadow figures out of the corner of your eye is normal. I think there is a natural phenomenon in the eye that causes it, though Im not entirely sure, I have a faint recollection of someone here posting about it once.
    Noone else has seen the figure and sometimes his family come to stay and they have never seen anything.
    The more you look for something, the more you will see it. Your boyfriend is keyed up and hyper aware, because of whats going on, so he is waiting for something to happen

Im not going to get into the shadow people thing, because tbh, I dont see how knowing lots about that phenomenon is going to help you deal with this situation right now. In the future when you are got to grips with it maybe, but for now, you need to feel comfortable in the house.

It doesnt matter what the cause is, the first thing to know is its just noise, and something you see. It cannot harm you. I say that with full confidence, cos this aint a Hollywood film. :) If youve ruled out the practical causes, then the main thing is to stop being afraid of this. Look on it as a curiousity or a nuisance, but dont let it get into your head as a big bad thing.

On a purely 'paranormal' level, things I have heard of that can remove stubbon stains phenomenon are: music, burning sage, invoking a personal belief system or religious practice, or just telling 'it' nicely, to go away. I wont vouch for the veracity of any of that, or get into the reasons why it works (which it does), but to me it all comes from the same place: giving the person a comfort that they are doing something, and that they are safe because of that. Which you always are.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ButterflyGirl23

Thanks for your reply Oryx.

I should have explained the lights better. The one outside his bedroom has never worked and only once has it come on beside the shadowy figure, hasn't come on since. I also remember another detail I should have put in the original post. He said in that incident the shadow came down the stairs at him and he ran but then it was gone when he turned back around. The other lights they will just be switched on by the switch but he wouldn't have put them on.

Him seeing the shadow figure is never at the corner of his eye. He was looking at it straight on, it was me who was facing a different direction and didn't see anything. He was staring right at it for a few seconds while I was looking at him asking him what was wrong.

I was trying to look at it rationally as I was asking him was the heating or water on but he said no as he has them turned off to save money. He defiantly doesn't have mice (I deal with them at work so know what they sound like behind walls running around!) and I have never felt draughts in his place.

Thank you for the reassuance that nothing can harm us in the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

ask him to write down anything that happens, as soon as possible afterwards. Its good to keep a log of events - makes working out whats going on a bit easier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭twilightzone

Hi
    Just looking for some advice. Some strange stuff has been happening in my boyfriend's house. He hears noises like heavy footsteps in the attic (which is converted into a bedroom with wooden floors), a light outside this room that doesn't work sometimes turns on by itself, other lights will turn on and off, the oven sometimes will be on by itself and the weirdest thing of all is sometimes he sees a shadowy figure. Noone else has seen the figure and sometimes his family come to stay and they have never seen anything.
    Just yesterday we were chatting in the landing when my boyfriend's face dropped and he said "there's somebody in there" and ran to one of the bedrooms. When he came back out he said he saw a shadowy figure watching us from the door (door was ajar) I was facing a different way so didn't see anything. He said when he ran at the door the figure moved to the side and was gone. We both then started hearing heavy footsteps and movement from the attic. We then got scared so went downstairs and turned on the tv until the sounds stopped.
    Has anyone had any sort of experience with this type of thing or any explanations are welcome? My boyfriend doesn't really want to talk about it as it freaks him out (don't blame him as he has to live on his own in the house!) The house is maybe 15 years old at the most and only one family lived in it before him, a young family with two kids who are all still alive!
    I did a bit of research online and found out about an entity called shadow people??? Has anyone heard about them?

Feel free to PM me if you need a team to come in and check the place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Myself, my wife and child have seen these 'shadow people' in our last house, it scared the fook out of me.

• Advertisement

Doom wrote: »
    Myself, my wife and child have seen these 'shadow people' in our last house, it scared the fook out of me.

Where was the house?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Not telling.....

Doom wrote: »
    Not telling.....

I'm not asking for an address, just the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ButterflyGirl23

Thanks for your reply Doom, what did you experience in your last house? Like how often did you see them and did anything else happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Hi OP,
    I have seen 'shadow people' if you want to label this phenomenon - darkish figures that pass by in hallways and through doorways, or even sometimes in the reflection of a window. However, when I saw these (for years, btw, when I was a kid and teen) the sightings were NEVER accompanied by related sounds or oddities at the same time.
    I could not say that what you are experiencing is related to anything paranormal - I'd check the pipes, electrics etc first before considering anything sinister.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

It's well worth testing if the noise is from the heating. Normally holes are drilled into the timber joists under the floor boards and the pipes are pulled through them. When the pipes heat up they expand and move slightly. This can cause a knocking noise. It may happen while the system is heating up and cooling down as the pipe size changes slightly.

I'd agree with others that once you become aware of something you mind starts to see it more. Not saying it isn't paranormal but it is imperative to check out the discount the normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Seeing "shadow people" can be down to simply not getting enough sleep. A friend of mine was seeing dark shapes moving out of the corner of her eye, outside windows, etc. She mentioned it to her GP who advised more sleep and, voila, the shadow people vanished. So if he's on edge about noises and electrical faults in the house he may not be sleeping well and his fatigue causing these sight artifacts.

Footstep noises in the attic could very easily be knocking in the pipes, and the light not working and randomly turning on very much sounds like an electrical fault. I recommend that he gets some tradesmen in to check the place over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

heres an interesting article on shadows and ghosts and peripheral vision (plus it mentions shadows seen straight on)

http://www.assap.ac.uk/newsite/articles/Corner%20eye%20phenomena.html

Advertisement