Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlebar - Westport greenway

Options
  • 16-02-2013 2:14pm

Does anybody have plans for where this is been routed ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

It's not as simple as the Westport to Achill Greenway. They used the old disused railway track as the route for most of it so they already owned a lot of the land, access rights and existing bridges.

Obviously the Castlebar to Westport railway line is still in use so they can't use that. What's proposed is a route from Lough Lannagh to Islandeady (Phase one) and eventually onto Westport (Phase two).

The preferred route is a trail to skirt along the edge of Lough Lannagh and Islandeady Lough.

Cllr Harry Barrett said
    "The development will be subject to local landowner consensus by way of permissive access. It is proposed, to develop a dedicated 3 metre wide path for the purpose of both walking and cycling."

I think it's all very optimistic as gaining access rights from landowners who will inevitably look for compensation involves lots of solicitors and takes far longer and costs far more then originally planned.

It's unfortunate as I think it would really benefit Castlebar, Westport and the surrounding areas.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Dudda wrote: »
    It's not as simple as the Westport to Achill Greenway. They used the old disused railway track as the route for most of it so they already owned a lot of the land, access rights and existing bridges.

Obviously the Castlebar to Westport railway line is still in use so they can't use that. What's proposed is a route from Lough Lannagh to Islandeady (Phase one) and eventually onto Westport (Phase two).

The preferred route is a trail to skirt along the edge of Lough Lannagh and Islandeady Lough.

Cllr Harry Barrett said
    "The development will be subject to local landowner consensus by way of permissive access. It is proposed, to develop a dedicated 3 metre wide path for the purpose of both walking and cycling."

I think it's all very optimistic as gaining access rights from landowners who will inevitably look for compensation involves lots of solicitors and takes far longer and costs far more then originally planned.

It's unfortunate as I think it would really benefit Castlebar, Westport and the surrounding areas.

Apart from the railway being there its more or less the same situation as the Achill/Westport one. Very little if any of the railway was still owned by Iranroid Eireann and they were still relying on good will from the landowners to build it who received no compensation for handing over their land apart from some new fencing and gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Yes as Mickeroo says the Wpt-Achill line had almost all be sold to adjoining land owners c 1940. Most of these cooperated with the Co Council in allowing access and the works involved without any compensation.

Hope the same attitude obtains on Castlebar- westport extension

Ya but wouldn't the original access rights have still existed for walkers like what's happening in the ongoing Lissadell Estate case in Sligo? They seam to last 150 years. I though that's why it was relatively easy to make the greenway.

I don't mind if I'm wrong as chances are it will be finished faster and cheaper which is what I'd prefer.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ya but wouldn't the original access rights have still existed for walkers like what's happening in the ongoing Lissadell Estate case in Sligo? They seam to last 150 years. I though that's why it was relatively easy to make the greenway.

I don't mind if I'm wrong as chances are it will be finished faster and cheaper which is what I'd prefer.

There was no walking rights to the old railway afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Again agree with Mickeroo.

Those who bought parts of the old Wpt-Achill railway line obtained private property, free of any rights of way

There were covenants in the purchase deeds to maintain fences and drains along the portion purchased, but that is a separate matter

Does anybody know if the Lough Lannagh - Rehins wood greenway was ever completed ?
    IS there plans to extend it to Westport ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

They are currently (from what I've seen from the car) bringing a Greenway from Castlebar towards Turlough. Haven't noticed anything being worked on around Lough Lannagh etc so far, but haven't been down there in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Irish Warri0r

Does anybody know if the Lough Lannagh - Rehins wood greenway was ever completed ?
    IS there plans to extend it to Westport ?

They are still working on it there is not to much left to do I ran it yesterday and apart from 1 bend its nearly finished.

They are still working on it there is not to much left to do I ran it yesterday and apart from 1 bend its nearly finished.

What route does it take ? Is there any plans available for it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

They are currently (from what I've seen from the car) bringing a Greenway from Castlebar towards Turlough. Haven't noticed anything being worked on around Lough Lannagh etc so far, but haven't been down there in a while.

they are working across the road from lough lannagh behind dunnes , looks like along the river.

Here’s a map showing the Westport to Castlebar Greenway, Castlebar to Turlough Greenway and the new porposed N5 linking Westport and Castlebar

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qrfx7oszblw272o/Greenway%20Map.pdf

Is this the Lough Lannagh - Rehins wood greenway that you ran ?

I went to Rehins wood today, it appears that the council have made a wide footpath on the Newport road the whole way from the town to the woods. They have just used the existing hard shoulder of the road and raised it above the level of the road by a few inches. It has bicycle signs on it.

Surely this isn't the greenway that the council got money for. Its certainly not whats on the map posted by Dudda.

The whole point of the route shown in Duddas map was so that it would pass through country side, using the lake and forest as a focal point. It also meant it was safe for children. What has been done is not much better than cycling on the road, not safe for young kids, and in no way a pleasure to use due to the speeding traffic been a few inches from your bike.

Hopefully im wrong and the route in Duddas map is still going ahead ??

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Irish Warri0r

Is this the Lough Lannagh - Rehins wood greenway that you ran ?

I went to Rehins wood today, it appears that the council have made a wide footpath on the Newport road the whole way from the town to the woods. They have just used the existing hard shoulder of the road and raised it above the level of the road by a few inches. It has bicycle signs on it.

Surely this isn't the greenway that the council got money for. Its certainly not whats on the map posted by Dudda.

The whole point of the route shown in Duddas map was so that it would pass through country side, using the lake and forest as a focal point. It also meant it was safe for children. What has been done is not much better than cycling on the road, not safe for young kids, and in no way a pleasure to use due to the speeding traffic been a few inches from your bike.

Hopefully im wrong and the route in Duddas map is still going ahead ??

Yea I was talking about the Newport road part,the part in town still has a bit of work left to do and is closed to public as far as I can tell.

Yea I was talking about the Newport road part,the part in town still has a bit of work left to do and is closed to public as far as I can tell.

The Newport road was not supposed to be the Greenway, thats a glorified hard shoulder. It was supposed to be down by the lake, through countryside and then into the woods.

It appears the easier pointless option has been chosen instead of the planned route as per Duddas map. Its a pity as it would of been a very attractive route and brought a lot of visitors to the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

its going down the river anyways, by maesh house, coming beside elverys, where that small building will be knocked, into the town park and out to turlough house

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

The Newport road was not supposed to be the Greenway, thats a glorified hard shoulder. It was supposed to be down by the lake, through countryside and then into the woods.

It appears the easier pointless option has been chosen instead of the planned route as per Duddas map. Its a pity as it would of been a very attractive route and brought a lot of visitors to the town.
    land owners put paid to the original plan I understand. the usual BS. Shame

land owners put paid to the original plan I understand. the usual BS. Shame

Why did the council not just CPO it ? It was nearly all lake-shore, it would of been worthless to a farmer.

Whats has been done now is a complete waste of money, very few will use it. Its too dangerous for children.

Why did the farmers along the Achill to Westport co-operate and not receive compensation (as mentioned in previous posts) but the farmers around Castlebar not co-operate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Why did the farmers along the Achill to Westport co-operate and not receive compensation (as mentioned in previous posts) but the farmers around Castlebar not co-operate?

There was a good bit of agro from a couple of landowners on the Westport one. even had to be closed for a short while as far as I remember. regarding the CPO in Castlebar, maybe it would have been too expensive, who knows. The stretch between Castlebar and Turlough has been pushed on to the N5 in a couple of spots by the same issues, But the NRA should sort that when the CPO's for the new road come through.

• Advertisement

probably hoping the council will give in , look at mess the council made of the newport rd in the first place.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Whats has been done now is a complete waste of money, very few will use it. Its too dangerous for children.

Why is that? What's wrong with it?

monument wrote: »

Its basically the hard shoulder for the main Newport road. Its too dangerous for any young children. If they go off by a few feet its straight into oncoming traffic. The noise will also put recreational cyclists off.

The whole purpose of the greenway was supposed to be for off road, quiet, safe cycling. The original route was ideal and would of been excellent for tourism.

The council were as well to have kept the hard shoulder the way it was and use the money for something else as any adults that wanted to cycle out the Newport road would of done so anyway.

That money would off extended the path around Lough Lannagh and people would of actually used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

monument wrote: »

They made it just wide enough to accomodate a van and caravan. Free parking for that so-called ethnic group who will thrash the place, come August.:mad:

They made it just wide enough to accomodate a van and caravan. Frre parking for that so-called ethnic group who will thrash the place, come August.:mad:

I imagine some black poles will be installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

irishgeo wrote: »
    I imagine some black poles will be installed.

Typical. A lovely coat of tar on that "walkway". To install those poles means a mini-digger to dig holes on it:eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

There was a good bit of agro from a couple of landowners on the Westport one. even had to be closed for a short while as far as I remember. regarding the CPO in Castlebar, maybe it would have been too expensive, who knows. The stretch between Castlebar and Turlough has been pushed on to the N5 in a couple of spots by the same issues, But the NRA should sort that when the CPO's for the new road come through.

Don't think that is true. The Castlebar to Turlough greenway only comes onto the N5 for one short section and I think that's more to do with the fact the River was rerouted to accommodate the road and there's not any room to fit a path between the road and the river.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

12 element wrote: »
    Don't think that is true. The Castlebar to Turlough greenway only comes onto the N5 for one short section and I think that's more to do with the fact the River was rerouted to accommodate the road and there's not any room to fit a path between the road and the river.

Was indeed only one spot when I was on it the other day, its a lovely job, great to see it done.

yop wrote: »
    Was indeed only one spot when I was on it the other day, its a lovely job, great to see it done.

Has it officially opened?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Has it officially opened?

Not sure tbh honest, I did a "Recon" on it ;)

Advertisement