Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlebar - Westport greenway

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

Not yet, thiink they were laying tarmac yesterday so can't be too far off. I was told it would be open for Summer anyway.

its going down the river anyways, by maesh house, coming beside elverys, where that small building will be knocked, into the town park and out to turlough house

Which building will be knocked? I see there is a new footbridge down at the side of Dunnes Stores across to marsh house.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

12 element wrote: »
    Which building will be knocked? I see there is a new footbridge down at the side of Dunnes Stores across to marsh house.

The small one right beside elverys, it used to be a book shop

The small one right beside elverys, it used to be a book shop

Where did you hear that? Won't that mean cyclist can only use the greenway in one direction. Also this is a fairly large building on the main St of the town it's hard to see them knocking it down.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.857577,-9.297454,3a,89.9y,154.41h,86.97t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1stFMZEPJ6tNTP40k4qtaCMA!2e0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Where did you hear that? Won't that mean cyclist can only use the greenway in one direction. Also this is a fairly large building on the main St of the town it's hard to see them knocking it down.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.857577,-9.297454,3a,89.9y,154.41h,86.97t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1stFMZEPJ6tNTP40k4qtaCMA!2e0

the cyclist can dismount and wheel his bicycle against the flow of traffic on a one way street.

irishgeo wrote: »
    the cyclist can dismount and wheel his bicycle against the flow of traffic on a one way street.

Of course. Seems a bit crazy to knock a building and end up with a half assed solution. No need to knock anything in that case can't cyclists wheel their bikes down the existing alleyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Does anyone know why they have started pulling the Newport Road section up, it has not even been a year since it was opened.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Xenji wrote: »
    Does anyone know why they have started pulling the Newport Road section up, it has not even been a year since it was opened.

wow, where is that? Bad time of year to be dicking around with it!

if its the section i am thinking of, they are building a wall beside it.

• Advertisement

When are they going to start sacking these incompetent idiots in the council ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Vandy West

Would guess that this was always part of the plan. Drive by there most days and that kerb was done with a kerb laying machine and as they were probably trying to get agreement to take out the large trees that were removed to build the retaining wall, it was probably as cheap/easy to lay the path and kerb and then relay once wall was built, rather than delay the job to get the agreement of one landowner.

Vandy West wrote: »
    Would guess that this was always part of the plan. Drive by there most days and that kerb was done with a kerb laying machine and as they were probably trying to get agreement to take out the large trees that were removed to build the retaining wall, it was probably as cheap/easy to lay the path and kerb and then relay once wall was built, rather than delay the job to get the agreement of one landowner.

An engineer with the council wanted to add a new wall around his property ( not the 8tf wall fiasco on the Turlough greenway ) this required the uplifting of just under 1km of the greenway, easy to see how he got planning permission.

( not the 8tf wall fiasco on the Turlough greenway )

Any more info on this?

Any more info on this?

Some land owner wants the council to build an 8ft wall around his property for privacy reasons as its adjacent to the greenway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Some land owner wants the council to build an 8ft wall around his property for privacy reasons as its adjacent to the greenway.

If the Greenway isn't on his land then I don't think there's much that can be done. However if he has contributed to the project I hope he can be facilitated in some way. I'm guessing that an 8 foot wall would attract more attention to his property?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

On the Westport - Achill Greenway some works were done to protect privacy, but I cannot recall any eight foot walls.
    \

Those along the W-A line realised the tourism potential, and the need to encourage visitors. Same incentive might not apply Castlebar-Turlough

nuac wrote: »
    On the Westport - Achill Greenway some works were done to protect privacy, but I cannot recall any eight foot walls.
    \

Those along the W-A line realised the tourism potential, and the need to encourage visitors. Same incentive might not apply Castlebar-Turlough

someone people did, others decided not to let it through their land. Making it stop short of the train station and having people cycle on a busy road whcih is not wide enough to achill sound.

I know of someone who got a brand new shed out of for the tiny strip of land they gave over.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

If staying in Westport and wanna cycle say Achill to Newport and hire bikes, how to do that?

Obviosuly we will need transport to Achill but could drive to Newport and get transpirt from there to Achill with bike hire? Whos the best that can do this for us in Newport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

vicwatson wrote: »
    If staying in Westport and wanna cycle say Achill to Newport and hire bikes, how to do that?

Obviosuly we will need transport to Achill but could drive to Newport and get transpirt from there to Achill with bike hire? Whos the best that can do this for us in Newport?

Some info here for greenway bike hire;

http://www.greenway.ie/Bike-Rental-01.html

It will be great when we get the Western Rail Trail Sligo Mayo Greenway. Will link up to Dublin Galway and the Western Greenway too!

Advertisement