Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What an Opportunity - Now I'm in a mess

Options
  • 16-02-2013 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I cant disclose what it is exactly but my "Boss" has given me the opportunity to build, manage and run something really big in Dublin City Centre. Exciting, Vibrant, Fun etc. I accepted a long time ago and we are due to meet this week to discuss how we will go about it.

Thing is, After so much worry, stressing etc I have realised that I have being doing this because I dont really want to take on the project and instead take up a role that I initially came to the Company for. I'm pretty sure I can have the role I want, Its a small one compared to the new opportunity but Im so worried about blowing it with my Boss now as he will be really pissed I dont want to take up his offer, Actually even if I stay working with the company i can see us falling out over it completely. He believes in me, He trusts me but he is also a Business man and I have witnessed him being ruthless in the past in this respect so I dont expect he will react well to what I have to say.

How can I break this to him?

eg Tell him: Im sorry for wasting your time discussing the opportunity for so long and I know I was committed to it but I really want to do X in your Company instead.

Ideally I should have just thought it through to begin with and politely declined, telling him I want to do X instead but now I find myself in this mess.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

Sounds like it's too late to back out now. Just run with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Can you go with his idea and then move to the other job when the project is up and running? Should keep everybody happy and you'd have something that would add to your cv. Without specifics it's hard to give any proper advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

It all depends what stage the project is at, and whether he's hired someone else now for your original role. If you have only been brainstorming, the boss would likely appreciate your honest assessment of your skills and capabilities. You can even offer to discuss your ideas with whoever he will hire to launch the project, maybe you know someone else in the company who'd be good at it?
    If, however, the project is about to launch and would be significantly delayed/ negatively influenced by you pulling out now, I agree with a previous poster who says run with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Why is it causing you worry ans stress .. the boss wouldn't have asked you if he didn't think you were able for it.

Advertisement