Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Printer advice

Options
  • 16-02-2013 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

My existing HP Deskjet F4280 that is a few years old is beginning to act up. Sometimes it prints straight away and pretty perfect quality. Other times it either takes a few attempts to print something or is very poor quality with bits of text not printing or smudged.

I am going to get a new printer

Is there any advantage in getting a laser printer as you can get some reasonably cheap these days?

All I print are concert tickets, boarding passes, emails etc

So I want something that is good quality and cheap to run and wont be affected if not regularly used.

Something for €100 or less

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

If you don't need a scanner or colour printer then a cheap laser will suit just fine (toner cartidges don't dry out if they haven't been used for a while). ;)

Komplett have a Samsung for 65 yoyos in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭damul

But in terms of number of pages I get per euro of ink which is better value?

I know it depends on what I print and so on but is there much difference in running cost of laser or inkjet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Laser toner cartridges are quite expensive (especially if using colour), but they do last a very long time (about 2500 to 3500 A4s). Remember the cheapest part of any printing system is the printer - thats the hook to get you to buy the costly consumables forever after :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭damul

Laser toner cartridges are quite expensive (especially if using colour), but they do last a very long time (about 2500 to 3500 A4s). Remember the cheapest part of any printing system is the printer - thats the hook to get you to buy the costly consumables forever after :-)

I knew the ink is dearest part for both alright

Just wasn't sure which one cost more or which was better value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

damul wrote: »
    But in terms of number of pages I get per euro of ink which is better value?

I know it depends on what I print and so on but is there much difference in running cost of laser or inkjet?

There is no telling really, but B&W laser is usually a tad cheaper than ink and if you print in draft quality (sufficient for most purposes), you'll get a lot more out of a cartridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭whizbang

As with all printers these days, the basic cartridge supplied new, is only a 'demo'. Often can be only 10% of a new one.
    So straight away the laser can be very costly, but long term, you will have forgotten how much you paid for it, by the time you need a new cartridge!

If you need colour, buy an epson inkjet, and a big bag of the cheapest fleabay inks.

Advertisement