Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fences / barriers on roadside lawns

Options
  • 16-02-2013 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭

I've sometimes seen link-fencing on rural peoples' roadside lawns. i.e between the bounday wall and the centre of the public road.

What's the maximum of rights that can asserted and what theoretical implications would there be for someone erecting a dog detterent structure and anti-car parking structure on their roadside lawn? i.e a visually delicate but physically firm knee-high (ish) structure? Would others have rights with regard to right of way or is it only the local authority who could assert their rights in this scenario?

For example, an extremely manicured lawn, of 40+ years standing, being used as a relief point for large dogs by sociopathic neighbours?

I am aware that there is a very limited assertion of rights by the landowner. But I would be interested to see a legal discussion of what the current law is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

An Ri rua wrote: »
    I've sometimes seen link-fencing on rural peoples' roadside lawns. i.e between the bounday wall and the centre of the public road.

What's the maximum of rights that can asserted and what theoretical implications would there be for someone erecting a dog detterent structure and anti-car parking structure on their roadside lawn? i.e a visually delicate but physically firm knee-high (ish) structure? Would others have rights with regard to right of way or is it only the local authority who could assert their rights in this scenario?

For example, an extremely manicured lawn, of 40+ years standing, being used as a relief point for large dogs by sociopathic neighbours?

I am aware that there is a very limited assertion of rights by the landowner. But I would be interested to see a legal discussion of what the current law is?

Such a fence may need planning permission. Certain development is exempted development, but I don't think that a roadside fence would fall into that category. A phone call to the planning department of your local authority may give you a lot of the information you need.

Advertisement