Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebay Automatically Bidding Against You

Options
  • 16-02-2013 3:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

For the past few weeks i have been doing my on tests on ebay.
    I have found that they seem to bid against you themselves its not another person in the world

Example
    Bid 1.20 outbidded as soon as its placed
    Bid 1.50 outbidded as soon as its placed
    Bid 1.90 outbidded as soon as its placed
    Bid 2.10 outbidded as soon as its placed
    This all happened in the space of about 30seconds

Has anyone else noticed something similar

Would this break anything in consumer laws.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

Nothing strange here, someone else has placed a higher maximum bid than the amounts you are entering.

If you bid €20 on something that had a starting price of €1, it will show up as a bud of €1 - if anyone else bids up to €20 you will automatically outbid them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Yes. I've been bidding on an item since yesterday. Took me four goes before I had a successful bid. It seems to be another bidder, not eBay. Happens all the time.

I don't believe this breaks consumer laws. If you think about it, this is the same as 'live' bidding in an auction house. As soon as you place a bid, then it's trumped!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

That's how maximum bids work on ebay.

If the opening price is at say €1 you can enter a maximum bid of €5, but it will only bid €1.20 for you at the start, since that is enough for you to be the top bidder. Then if someone else comes along and sees that the present bid is at €1.20 and bids €1.40, your maximum bid of €5 will kick in and ebay will add a bid at €1.60 for you automatically. Ebay will keep doing this until they push the price right up to your €5 limit and someone bids €5.20 to overtake you.

It saves you having to be at the computer to respond to every bid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

Brian wrote: »
    That's how maximum bids work on ebay.

If the opening price is at say €1 you can enter a maximum bid of €5, but it will only bid €1.20 for you at the start, since that is enough for you to be the top bidder. Then if someone else comes along and sees that the present bid is at €1.20 and bids €1.40, your maximum bid of €5 will kick in and ebay will add a bid at €1.60 for you automatically. Ebay will keep doing this until they push the price right up to your €5 limit and someone bids €5.20 to overtake you.

It saves you having to be at the computer to respond to every bid.

Yea i realised that have reading every one posts

*MODS CLOSE THREAD PLEASE*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement