Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spuds advice

Options
  • 16-02-2013 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭

I normally plant spuds in sacks, but this year fancy growing them in the ground. I don't have loads of room so looking for advice on the best yield re small plot, best type etc
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

I had a very good crop of Desiree for maincrop last year.

I grew Pentland Javelin and Aaran Pilot as earlies, to be honest I wouldn't be mad into growing either again. They cropped well enough, just lacked a wow factor for an early spud for me.

I dug all my ground last year, put in old dung out of a sheep shed and some seaweed on top. I put the Desiree seed spuds right on top of the dung when I sowed them, can't remember about the earlies. I used drills for my spuds last year. The mistake I made was not leaving myself enough room to work between drills once the tops became well established, they grow quite big and thick.

This year my veg plot will be ridge (lazybed - hate that name) central. I have gone mad and got 5 or 6 types of new, early and second early spuds. Bought all Desiree again as maincrop, which I'm kicking myself over, nice spud but I should have tried other varieties as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I had a very good crop of Desiree for maincrop last year.

I grew Pentland Javelin and Aaran Pilot as earlies, to be honest I wouldn't be mad into growing either again. They cropped well enough, just lacked a wow factor for an early spud for me.

I dug all my ground last year, put in old dung out of a sheep shed and some seaweed on top. I put the Desiree seed spuds right on top of the dung when I sowed them, can't remember about the earlies. I used drills for my spuds last year. The mistake I made was not leaving myself enough room to work between drills once the tops became well established, they grow quite big and thick.

This year my veg plot will be ridge (lazybed - hate that name) central. I have gone mad and got 5 or 6 types of new, early and second early spuds. Bought all Desiree again as maincrop, which I'm kicking myself over, nice spud but I should have tried other varieties as well.

Thanks for that. What the smallest space you can get away with?
    1m square?

Advertisement