Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abbey View Monkstown

Options
  • 16-02-2013 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭

I have been looking at Abbey View off Abbey Road in Monkstown amongst other areas as it's reasonably priced for 1 bed flats.

Thing is I know absolutely nothing about the area and I really want to get a picture of the area before I make any decisions.

Can any one tell me about the estate/area or better yet the apartments themselves?

I know the apartments are not exactly modern but what I really want is peace and safety.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Unless they have been modernised and insluated they will be fkking freezing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

lived in number 20 iirc, middle flat.. no issues apart from the couple upstairs who used to kick the crap out of each other.

No issues with heating etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

Thanks for that Helimachoptor. Was the soundproofing bad?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yes... but only because of what was going on with the 2 goons upstairs.
    They'd buy a boat load of cans, get hammered and then start killing each other.

When they moved out, another couple moved in and we didnt hear them apart from normal apartment noises.

Couldnt hear the TV etc..

Thats good. I can handle normal apartment sounds as I am used to it but don't want to be hearing the neighbour snoring at night.

Whats the general area like? Would it be rough?

• Advertisement

no mate, i moved away and then move to the apartments across from the pub and lived there for nearly 3 years, have just moved again. Are you moving there for work?

Yeah I am working on the 4 bus route in Ballsbridge, but I don't want to live in pokey flat in Rathmines/Ranalagh/D4 so i was looking further south and Abbey View seems fairly affordable. I was considering DL as well for the dart but I hear that's a bit on the rough side. I have been living in a notoriously dodgey area on the northside for the last year and I am sick of the antisocial behavior that goes on here. I really want my next move to be to a more decent place.

I figure Abbeyview to the canal in the morning is fairly handy on the bus.

You wont have any issues mate, good luck with the move!

Thanks mate ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 emmawendy

Does anybody know what happened to that large house beside the petrol station in Abbey View? it looks spooky when I walk past it at night. I also heard from this wino that squatters were living in it for ages and were removed by the gardai.

• Advertisement

It's been boarded up for a few years now.
    From what i remember at the time, there was basically only 1 exit for everyone on the ground floor and above so it was deemed a fire hazard and the LL didnt want to pay the money to make it safer so just boarded it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Around that area used to be very dodgy on weekend nights thanks to a dump of a 'hotel' around the corner in Kill Ave. opposite the Holy Family church which used to run discos with a pretty liberal door policy, most of the patrons were aged 16-17 and drunkenness was almost mandatory. The patrons and the odd person refused admission used to hang around the area until all hours, all of them p1ssed out of their minds and terrorising anyone who happened upon them. Thankfully the property boom meant the hotel was demolished and a nice apartment block was built on the site, the locals have never looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Sometimes you get groups of youngsters sitting on the low wall, down from the Petrol Station, coming into Summer and the holidays you'll get it a lot.

I lived along the left hand side, looking down Abbey View, for a while, sound insulation was atrocious. Depends very much on the building and if any renovation\modernisation work has taken place. Paper thin walls and roof when I was there, plastic bubble skylight here and there. Freezing in winter.

In unmodernised blocks, closer to the exit, if your neighbours are staying up, you'll be staying up with them..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 emmawendy

Anyone remember the fire at the end of the road on the left hand side? heard it was squatters while the flat was being renovated, everyone was out on the street watching the fire brigade extinguish it and nobody was hurt thankfully

RADIUS wrote: »
    Yeah I am working on the 4 bus route in Ballsbridge, but I don't want to live in pokey flat in Rathmines/Ranalagh/D4 so i was looking further south and Abbey View seems fairly affordable. I was considering DL as well for the dart but I hear that's a bit on the rough side. I have been living in a notoriously dodgey area on the northside for the last year and I am sick of the antisocial behavior that goes on here. I really want my next move to be to a more decent place.

I figure Abbeyview to the canal in the morning is fairly handy on the bus.

Its not bad at all. The 7 Bus would probably be more frequent as well and goes through Ballsbridge I think

Advertisement