Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Bangor Erris Or Belmullet?

Options
  • 16-02-2013 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

Hey guys moving up to Bangor erris or belmullet for work never been to either before is there much for a lad in his mid 20's to do? such as fishing or any clubs to join?:D any other help be great thanks ross:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Bangor Erris and Belmullet - welcome to the 18th century.

SD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

Ha thanks for the reply i look forward to it. surely with the mass of construction workers resideing in both towns now there is somewhat of a buzz around the place?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

I couldn't tell you what it's like now, but friends of mine have left that area and have no plans to return. I hope it works out for you though.

SD

Ha cheers mate i will need it by the sounds of it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Never mind the muppet post above.:rolleyes: Of the 2, Belmullet has a lot more to offer. Hotel, Music, Fishing, GAA, Soccer, Boating, Golf, Sailing, and in Summer a load of other activities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Never mind the muppet post above.:rolleyes: Of the 2, Belmullet has a lot more to offer. Hotel, Music, Fishing, GAA, Soccer, Boating, Golf, Sailing, and in Summer a load of other activities.

What day is 'the summer' on this year?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    Hey guys moving up to Bangor erris or belmullet for work never been to either before is there much for a lad in his mid 20's to do? such as fishing or any clubs to join?:D any other help be great thanks ross:D

i live in bangor.

if i was you i'd live in belmullet.

welcome to the land that time forgot :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Belmullet is livelier than Bangor, it is a bigger town and has a very close knit community. However it just that bit nearer America than Bangor!!
    Are you moving for work, will you know anyone?

Basically these towns have as much to offer as any other small towns in Ireland, they are just more cut off from larger towns due to distance.

Thanks for the great comment. yep moving for work and i wont no a sinner:o so should be ehm interesting :D:D just gota find a house next lol

Sure you will get to know people through work and maybe you could look into a house share?
    I am not from Belmullet but anytime we end up in a pub there people are very friendly and there is great crack going on which they include you in.

• Advertisement

yea i will be looking for a house share alright. yea i might just keep what i am working at to myself there seems to be some anger against it:o .. yea hopefully it will be good now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

yea i will be looking for a house share alright. yea i might just keep what i am working at to myself there seems to be some anger against it:o .. yea hopefully it will be good now:D

ill only need one guess at where you will be working.:D

And i suppose that guess would be correct:o

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭zztop

Where men are men
    And the sheep are nervous...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

your on the gas
    we know, theres nothing else out there

most of those guys on it live in ballina
    you must be desperate for a job
    i wont be wishing you any luck

^^^^^
    Great post thanks so much:D

I know plenty who work on the gas, they seem happy enough and money is great. People I know however are not from the Erris area so I can not comment on what its like been a local and working there. Maybe you can commute from Ballina/ Crossmolina/Castelbar ect as far as I know there are buses laid on for certain staff, might be worth looking into.

Thanks but i will be making the move up from the midlands so its probably just as handy for me to move into erris or belmullet or balllina. i understand some people don't like it but at the end of the day this is the only way for me to finish my apprenticeship the never ending one that has been going on for last 6 years so i suppose i have to go where i can. and this means the gasline

Daisy M wrote: »
    I know plenty who work on the gas, they seem happy enough and money is great. People I know however are not from the Erris area so I can not comment on what its like been a local and working there. Maybe you can commute from Ballina/ Crossmolina/Castelbar ect as far as I know there are buses laid on for certain staff, might be worth looking into.

the IRMS guys get buses laid on for them alright - but most of them are living locally now bar a few in ballina.

the op won't get any hassle from locals for workin' there. there hasn't been much protesting lately either and sher if there is any protesting he still gets paid if it's tools down so happy days for him ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i pick belmullet over bangor, seems to be a bigger town has a bit more going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Good man "nephin" with your "i wont be wishing you any luck" . If your not going to wish someone good luck whats the point in saying anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Belmullet had a decent hurling team a few years ago, at least by Mayo standards. I'm not from there, but I think the guy who was head and tail of it was a blow in, and moved on, so the club may not be as vibrant as it was. Westport is a gorgeous town, one of the best in Ireland, and not that far away. It has Matt Molloy's bar, a great meeting place for 20 somethings, and good for music. Lots of good restaurants! Maybe you could organise a few trips to Westport, but that would be problematic if you were having a few drinks, unless you could solve that one. Achill is a good spot in summer, with a few excellent beaches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 lanarty94

You will get nothing but hardship off the locals if they know you are working on the gas

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

lanarty94 wrote: »
    You will get nothing but hardship off the locals if they know you are working on the gas
    If that's true - and I suspect it's true only for a percentage of the locals - then it's a very poor reflection on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

feargale wrote: »
    Belmullet had a decent hurling team a few years ago, at least by Mayo standards. I'm not from there, but I think the guy who was head and tail of it was a blow in, and moved on, so the club may not be as vibrant as it was. Westport is a gorgeous town, one of the best in Ireland, and not that far away. It has Matt Molloy's bar, a great meeting place for 20 somethings, and good for music. Lots of good restaurants! Maybe you could organise a few trips to Westport, but that would be problematic if you were having a few drinks, unless you could solve that one. Achill is a good spot in summer, with a few excellent beaches.

I know the man who started the Hurling Club in Belmullet. He is married to a local. Afaik he's no longer involved.
    Westport is the guts of 50 miles away !!!! I certainly would'nt like to be hitting to Belmullet after a night in Matt Molloy's:D

rubbish.

thanks for the heads up i will avoid saying anything about the gas soo. i no its bad but as i stated its giving me the chance to finish my never ending apprenticeship. thanks to everyone for there posts and pms very genuine help given to me it is appreciated a lot i mean that:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

And your down in Waterford? Don't be posting rubbish comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The reality here is much different to what you might think from watching the old tv. The vast majority locally were always in favour of the development. An even bigger majority are now in favour given that alot of those initially protesting outside the gate are now working inside. Very few protestors now and the few in the camp are all blow ins with addresses anywhere from the other end of the country to uk addresses as highlighted when they are up in court for public order offences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

You're possibly not into the Gaeilge, but if you are there's a Gaeltacht in Portacloy, very near to Belmullet.

Advertisement