Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Bangor Erris Or Belmullet?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

feargale wrote: »
    You're possibly not into the Gaeilge, but if you are there's a Gaeltacht in Portacloy, very near to Belmullet.

this made me :)

since i moved to erris i've noticed ''very near'' has a different meaning than it does most places :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

artyeva wrote: »
    since i moved to erris i've noticed ''very near'' has a different meaning than it does most places :pac:
    It's a while since I've been around Belmullet, but if memory serves me correctly, Portacloy is 10 km to 15 km from Belmullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

feargale wrote: »
    It's a while since I've been around Belmullet, but if memory serves me correctly, Portacloy is 10 km to 15 km from Belmullet.

34km if you go through barnatra and glenamoy bridge. 45km if you go the scenic route through inver/pullathomas.

artyeva wrote: »

34km if you go through barnatra and glenamoy bridge. 45km if you go the scenic route through inver/pullathomas.
    Yes, I'd forgotten. Travelling in Mayo is like travelling in Russia - you still think in the distances you left at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

I lived in Belmullet and worked out of Blacksod in 2009 (i think). If your an outdoors person, its an amazing place. If you're into surfing, there seems to be a hardcore group of young people that surf all year around. There is often a good session in the pub in achleim with them.

If you like hiking, or walking or whatever, you have such a mix of landscapes, and most of it is remote and empty (not even telephone poles etc).

Plenty of angling to do up there, im sure there is a local club, or even a group of enthisiasts. There is a decent tackle shop in the town, id say drop in and just ask.

If you're into diving, there is a dive club in Ballina, but also a few locals in the Belmullet area. The diving up there is spectacular if you get the weather.

There is 2 nightclubs, and a load of pubs in belmullet. Alot of young people in the area go out there at weekends. There is also quite a few holiday homes, but dont expect to see these people in the winter.

I talked to quite a few people about the gas, and some of the comments here are completely inaccurate. Most people are just appreciative of the money and people it brings into the locality. Most of the protestors have alienated themselves from the broader community at this stage.

Best of luck with the move, id love to be off up there again for the summer.

• Advertisement

OP, tonight on TG4 at 8.30 p.m., " O Cuisine," a programme on Talbot's Hotel, Belmullet, featuring Chef Orla Talbot.

Advertisement