Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barrack St.

Options
  • 16-02-2013 4:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭

Might be moving to a place just off it.What's it like generally,does it have a reputation for being rough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,025 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It's in the city so there's always going to be some people around you may find undesirable but it's a lovely old part of the city and I don't think anyone would really consider it rough. Parking could be an issue if you have a car.
    Good pubs around there too.

Lots of noisy students during the college year, it's like a ghost town during the summer though. Parking is a major pain as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Half the houses in Barrack St are appalling. Certainly the ones nearer the end of the street towards South Gate Bridge. The ones further up aren't too bad. And yes there is kind of a rough element, that's only natural with Baghdad Heights beside it. But it's nothing worse than any other city centre street TBH.

I personally wouldn't choose to live there. Although a few friends have and they had no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

grenache wrote: »
    Half the houses in Barrack St are appalling. Certainly the ones nearer the end of the street towards South Gate Bridge. The ones further up aren't too bad. And yes there is kind of a rough element, that's only natural with Baghdad Heights beside it. But it's nothing worse than any other city centre street TBH.

I personally wouldn't choose to live there. Although a few friends have and they had no problems.

Baghdad Heights ?? :eek:

Despite the Garda Station there is a huge anti social presence in the area, lots of dealers, in saying that many people wouldn't notice and dealers won't be bothering you, they have other priorities.

Depends on where exactly you are referring to by a place just off it imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭rob316

grenache wrote: »

As a resident of one of these appalling houses you speak of and living there years i will tell you the only problem and many my neighbours will agree is the absolute **** wits that we call students, pure animals with no respect for people or property. Why they think its smart to toss over our bins and scream your head off running down the road I'll never know.

Its a tame place these days nothing like the olden days.

rob316 wrote: »
    .......... i will tell you the only problem and many my neighbours will agree is the absolute **** wits that we call students..........

You've no problem with the dealers or what are effectively brothels in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 PrincessDee

Completely agree with rob.i also live off barrack street and the area I am in is real decent with old people and families living around us.the only trouble u ever get is ratty drunk students knocking over bins .never seen or witnessed drug dealers.badically barrack street is a real convenient area to live with everything at your finger tips,but if your looking for somewhere a little quieter try living just off barrack street rather than on the street itself,there's plenty of little lane ways and cul de sacs there , and u don't get people walking past as much as on the street itself

RoverJames wrote: »
    You've no problem with the dealers or what are effectively brothels in the area?

Dealers in every area of the city and suburbs not everyone will admit that though. Brothels? Do you know this as fact or did you hear this from someone?

Besides I couldn't care less as they don't do the following,

urinate on my steps and door, leave smashed glass outside my door, leave there fast food on my steps, leave there cans and glasses on my steps, deface my property, throw glasses/bottles at passing cars, scream like morons, wake my child with there screaming, toss over our bins, be stoned drunk at 9pm that they collapse outside my house... but hey lets just ignore them they dont appear to be breaking the law :mad:

I went to college I know what its like but never once did I act like these animals do.

I'm living in the area just over a year now and I agree, the majority of hassle is caused by students. Constant house parties, blaring music, pissing and puking on your doorstep. The wheelie bins have been set in fire outside a couple of times as well last month, not sure if that was students or not though.

• Advertisement

Despite the Garda Station there is a huge anti social presence in the area, lots of dealers, in saying that many people wouldn't notice and dealers won't be bothering you, they have other priorities.

Depends on where exactly you are referring to by a place just off it imo.

The Garda station is now closed to the public. Went in there last summer to report when some scummers were causing a bit if hassle and was told to go elsewhere by the Garda that awnsered the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Its a tame place these days nothing like the olden days.

Even in the olden, supposedly bad, days (90s - early 00s), I regularly walked home at all hours up Barrack St and never had an ounce of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Just to mirror what Padraig Mór has said.

Barrack Street today doesn't feel near as dangerous or as seedy as it did say in the early 2000s. Had a really bad feel back then and I doubt I would have walked up Barrack Street at 3 in the morning back then.

Has to be said though, I've never had or seen any trouble on the street itself. It's not a bad street now with a number of good businesses being operated on it (Tom Barry's, Pigalle, La Tana Pizza, The Gateway). Certainly it is a safe enough place to live today.

On the "Baghdad Heights". I presume this is the estate just around the corner when you take the turn for Pouladuff Road. Again, never seen any trouble in there. Have often walked through there and nothing.

IMO, if you do want trouble in the city centre, go down to Douglas Street or Cobh street at about 3 in the morning. The place has a really bad feel and I know a few people who have been assaulted down there.

On the "Baghdad Heights". I presume this is the estate just around the corner when you take the turn for Pouladuff Road. Again, never seen any trouble in there. Have often walked through there and nothing.

Desmond Square, Mount Sion Rd etc? Mostly elderly people there AFAIK.

IMO, if you do want trouble in the city centre, go down to Douglas Street or Cobh street at about 3 in the morning. The place has a really bad feel and I know a few people who have been assaulted down there.
    I lived on Cove St from 98 - 02 - came across no trouble in that time, although admittedly Christian Scully was murdered nearby then. Douglas St was fine then but I've heard a lot of reports of junkies etc hanging around there and White St these days, with no action from the police.

Even in the olden, supposedly bad, days (90s - early 00s), I regularly walked home at all hours up Barrack St and never had an ounce of trouble.

The decline of the number of pubs has definetly helped, Nancy Spains, Quinn Ryan all gone. The place certainly has a reputation but I really have not seen much in recent years to justify it. Im talking anti social behaviour here.

Assaults are a different story they can happen on any street in the suburbs or city ranging from minor to serious. I know of people assaulted on barrack st, but I also know of people assaulted in bishopstown, patrick st, evergreen st, montenotte, college road etc it just happens. Some people are just on wrong street at the wrong time.

Baghdad Heights is referring to the flats on Noonan's Road I would imagine, that is a tough area no doubt about that.

I like Barrack St its a nice old part of the city. Its undergoing a regeneration at the moment which is great and I too hope they fix up all the empty units cause it could look fantastic.

On the barracka!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Great chip shop in Barrack Street. Lennox's ,50 years in business, still serving the beat fish & chips in Munster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Great chip shop in Barrack Street. Lennox's ,50 years in business, still serving the beat fish & chips in Munster

I don't know about that really, you cant beat Donkey Ford's in Limerick, open over 50 years at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Jon_459

I thought that was Bandon Road?

Bandon Road and it is horribly over rated.

I've got fish there a few times which must have been tried 4 times. Hard as a rock on the outside and the fish on the inside was like mush.

Its amazing what a good name does for a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Jon_459 wrote: »
    I thought that was Bandon Road?
    Correct - Barrack Street ends at the junction at the top of the hill (junction with Green Street).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

I used to live there(prosperity square) and I never had a problem, that was late 90s to 2001,I really cant recommend the area highly enough. Central location,great veiws(Tower st)lots of different pubs,I usually stayed in barrack st for a night out.

Positives vastly outweigh the negatives there

Its muck these days, soggy burgers, undercooked or overcooked food its terrible. I remember the days when my dad used to bring it home on the way from work it was amazing then. It was good even up to a few years ago. Trading on past reputations unfortunately.

Dealers in every area of the city and suburbs not everyone will admit that though. Brothels? Do you know this as fact or did you hear this from someone?

Besides I couldn't care less as they don't do the following,.........

Fact.

You've answered my question, you've no problem with the dealers or the brothels :)

There is no doubt dealers in every area of the city but Barrack Street (lower) has a very high amount of both dealers and junkies living in the area.

Next time you're struggling up Barrack St after a feed of pints, just think that your distant ancestors also did the same (except they drank mead or something). The Barrack St - South/North Main St - Shandon St drag has been the main axis of the city and its environs for 1500 years, or more.

They do say that the Gateway Bar is the oldest in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Next time you're struggling up Barrack St after a feed of pints, just think that your distant ancestors also did the same (except they drank mead or something). The Barrack St - South/North Main St - Shandon St drag has been the main axis of the city and its environs for 1500 years, or more.

Cork ~500 years ago.

I'd say Cork 1500 years ago looked like a big Crannog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

padma wrote: »
    I don't know about that really, you cant beat Donkey Ford's in Limerick, open over 50 years at this stage.

Do you mean Ford's equine restaurant ?

Ok joint 1st place ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,025 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Fact.

I don't suppose you have any better evidence other than saying "Fact"?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

There's never any trouble around Desmond Square, Mt. Sion Rd and the terraced houses around there.

Majority of the people in that area are senior citizens, very quiet part of Greenmount. I've seen more hassle and gangs up by Deerpark which is essentially considered the "nice" part of Greenmount than I've ever seen around Mt Sion Rd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭pah

Fact.

You've answered my question, you've no problem with the dealers or the brothels :)

There is no doubt dealers in every area of the city but Barrack Street (lower) has a very high amount of both dealers and junkies living in the area.

I'm sure the Drug Squad in Anglesea will be delighted with all this great intel that you've passed on to them.

Advertisement