Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new biker

• 16-02-2013 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi.
    I am looking at buying a bike.
    I was wondering what would be a good bike to start off with.

I was considering a Kawasaki 250 r, but people have been telling me that I will more than likely out grow it in a matter of months, and that I should go for something bigger.
    I am looking at sports bikes and not interested in anything different.
    I have heard that sports bikes are harder to learn on but that doesn’t bother me.
    I am a big guy, 6"2 foot and 200 lbs.
    People have said I would be well able to control a bigger bike even as a novice biker, but am not too sure, so all opinions are welcome in order to help me make a decision.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Well what ever people tell you, be under no illusions that physical size will keep you safe if you have nothing between the ears. By all means do not get a 250cc....you will outgrow it very quickly and at your size would look a tad silly.

Anyone of the 600cc bikes will be ideal just sit on them all and have a spin and you will find the right one. I would start with a Honda Hornet 600 or a Yamaha FZ6, search this section there are hundreds of the same questions.

Good luck and stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

poweller84 wrote: »
    hi am looking at buying a bike and was wondering wot is a gud bike to start of with i was considering a kawasaki 250 r but people have bn telling me that i will more than likely out grow it ina matter of months anthat i shud go for something bigger i am looking at sports bikes and not interested in anything different i have heard that sports bikes are harder to learn on but that doesnt bother me i am a big guy 6"2 200 lbs and people said i would be well able to control a bigger bike even as a novice biker but am not to sure so all opinions welcome to help me in my decision cheers

A few capital letters, a few paragraphs and a bit less text speak would go a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 poweller84

free country can type wotever way i like what has that go to do with what i am askin absolutely nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 3 poweller84

and i also didnt think i had to be a fully fledged touch typist to be on boards am not here to please people am here for opinions thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,619 ✭✭✭prunudo

free country can type wotever way i like what has that go to do with what i am askin absolutely nothing

It is a free country but your original post is impossible to read so you're less likely to get reply's. A few full stops and capital letters go a long way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

It's not a democracy on boards and it's a moderator you just insulted.

Read the rules.

Both the rules for board.ie , and the rules for this forum.

Then come back to me.

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Op can choose to write his post however he wishes.

Yes poor grammar is a pain but so are the grammar police.

OP didn't insult a moderator he made a point which was actually true.

I'm guessing comments such as this one which have no bearing on what the op is asking should be removed by a Moderator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

Grammatical incorrectness implies laziness and few people will offer advice to those they consider lazy, so just as you'd accept advice on biking please take the advice on this too.

You're right about outgrowing a 250 but but you are going to be restricted to the equivalent power of a 250 until you've passed the test and and waited the 2year restriction period. So I'd suggest something physically larger like a CBR600 and getting it restricted. Good luck with it and stay safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

I have to say, I've had my Kawasaki Ninja 250R for about eight months now and I'm far from outgrowing it. Granted I'm not quite as big as the OP but I found the Ninja to be perfect for learning on and even once I'd built up my confidence there's plenty of poke in it, especially around a city.

It's very nimble through traffic and will beat all but the most powerful cars off the line at lights, although I'm yet to meet one. (Saw a Ferrari yesterday but it was going the other direction)

Even outside cities on main roads and motorways it'll comfortably do 80mph and is capable of more. In terms of performance it's probably not what most people think of when they're talking about a 250cc.

And it does all this with the looks of a sports bike but the comfortable riding position of a standard bike. When I had it in Bikeworld getting a sensor replaced a while ago, I sat on one of the ZX-6Rs and as much as I'd love one in the future, there was a huge difference in the riding position even though it just looks like a bigger version of the 250.

I don't see why it wouldn't last any beginner at least two years although as far as I understand, under the new licensing rules you'd need a lend of a bigger bike to do your test if you want an unrestricted license.

• Advertisement

leeomurchu wrote: »
    Op can choose to write his post however he wishes.

Yes poor grammar is a pain but so are the grammar police.

OP didn't insult a moderator he made a point which was actually true.

I'm guessing comments such as this one which have no bearing on what the op is asking should be removed by a Moderator.

Have a read of this:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/faq.php?faq=bie_faq

and this: http://www.boards.ie/content/terms

and this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=291061

and this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056307178

Get back to me when you are finished, and we will talk.

Now - back on topic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

FFS lads :rolleyes:

and i also didnt think i had to be a fully fledged touch typist to be on boards am not here to please people am here for opinions thank you

Don't worry.

I have edited your opening post to make it easier for other posters to read. :D

Advertisement