Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate Engineering Jobs

Options
  • 16-02-2013 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Does anybody have links to any engineering jobs/job websites in Oz?

Most jobs I've found on Google need Australian or NZ citizenship.

Thanks,
    Eoin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Try www.seek.com.au

Not all jobs require Citizenship or PR, but most but for most this is preferable. The best way around this is either to become a PR or even better a citizen.

Sponsorship might be an option if they are willing to take a punt on you, having outstanding experience will be of benefit but it all depends on luck as well.

You could however aim for something that is like a 6 month contract that the employer doesn't have to worry about the long term implications of limited time visa or sponsorship.

Also best to have realistic expectations to avoid disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭patsy mulcaghy

http://www.Miningoilandgasjobs.com/

Do a search for 'graduate' - some of the construction/ mining companies have a graduate program. Register with them and build a profile for job alerts.

John Holland
    Thiess
    Downer
    Monadelphous
    Rio Tinto
    FMG
    Atlas etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Just be prepared for a long drawn out search, especially as a graduate. I say this simply because many of these bigger companies with graduate programmes are not for immediate starts, they'll most likely be for next year as they are aimed at final year uni students. Only saying that to be prepared, you may be lucky and find something available now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

And also having been involved in recruitment for BHP's graduate program I can tell you it's not for the feint hearted. I went through their entire process (6 months worth) to be turned down at the offer due to them not feeling recruiting a graduate from overseas to be the right choice.

The recruitment process isn't hugely difficult however it requires time and effort. It was a great experience even though I didn't get the role.

Go onto whirlpool.com.au as that is the forum hub for alot of the graduate programs in Australia and also jobs in general. It's an excellent site but is only a forum and not a recruitment site. Recruiters do look at those forums quite often to pay attention to your attitude if you do post on there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

Thanks for the replies, really appreciated!

I'll keep the thread updated.

Eoin.

http://www.chevronaustralia.com/home.aspx

and

http://www.bechtel.com/australia.html

Bechtel are one of the biggest construction companies in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

you are entitled to a graduate visa with your engineering degree. http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/476/

• Advertisement

There's a guy on here >>https://www.facebook.com/pages/Engineering-New-Zealand/435877129826646 giving advice to people on how to get all types of engineering and engineering related jobs in New Zealand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Trinner

Noo wrote: »
    Just be prepared for a long drawn out search, especially as a graduate. I say this simply because many of these bigger companies with graduate programmes are not for immediate starts, they'll most likely be for next year as they are aimed at final year uni students. Only saying that to be prepared, you may be lucky and find something available now.

Is there anywhere an online/Skype interview can be done or is it a meet in person? I've researched Canada and I'm not liking the look of it, I think too many have flooded the market, is it the same in Oz etc?

I've looked into other courses but its been fruitful!

Gems

• Registered Users Posts: 39 kinggriff

I've been applying for grad roles here in Melbourne and even still they are looking for people with experience, preferably Australian. I have a mixed 3 year work history as a mechanical engineer, tech sales engineer and now a fibre designer. They prefer grads even to have specifically related experience. I'm finding it tough to crack the market and get a mechanical engineer position, as that is where my qualification lies. Just to note, I am on a PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭patsy mulcaghy

Just got this randomly in an email - I am in no way affiliated with any of the visa companies. Might be worth looking into further for engineering graduates coming out of any of the following institutions:

''Recent updates from Australian immigration have announced a new visa for Irish Engineering Graduates. Recent graduates of selected overseas universities can get a visa to gain up to 18 months of skilled work experience in engineering occupations. This visa is in addition to the working holiday visa. The graduate visa allows you to bring your spouse and dependent children with you.

Eligibility Criteria apply, Irish qualified Engineers you must have attended one of the Colleges listed below: (Please note that there is a separate list for UK graduates)

Athlone Institute of Technology (AIT)
    Cork Institute of Technology (CIT)
    Dublin City University (DCU)
    Dublin Institute of Technology (DIT)
    Institute of Technology, Carlow (ITC)
    Institute of Technology, Sligo (ITS)
    Institute of Technology, Tallaght (ITT)
    National University of Ireland, Galway (NUIG)
    National University of Ireland, Maynooth (NUIM)
    University College, Cork (UCC)
    University College, Dublin (UCD)
    University of Dublin, Trinity College (TCD)
    University of Limerick (UL)
    Waterford Institute of Technology (WIT)
    Call now on 01 878 3355 for Ireland or 207 659 9186 for the UK.
    Email query to tpurcell@migrateabroad.com

Regards,

Tanya''

Advertisement