Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap and Healthy place to eat in City Centre

Options
  • 16-02-2013 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Could people recommend cheap and healthy places to eat in the city centre at around 7-8pm?

By healthy I mean a place that I can get some decent veg and meat, and not a fast food place. Id be eating there daily.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

O'Neills on Suffolk St do a carvery pretty late most evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 iamwh0

Slydice wrote: »
    O'Neills on Suffolk St do a carvery pretty late most evenings.

Thanks, how much would that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭thebossanova

Mongolian BBQ is excellent. It's €10 all you can eat and cooked right infront of you.

http://www.mongolianbbq.ie/

Mongolian BBQ is excellent. It's €10 all you can eat and cooked right infront of you.

http://www.mongolianbbq.ie/

On the site it says its 16 Euro after 7pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭thebossanova

Ah, didn't spot that! I'm a lunchtime frequenter myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Boojom I think it's called. The burito place in Dublin 1. It's so good. Not sure what time it closes at through

Thanks for the suggestions, do you people who made suggestions recommend any other places?

Anyone else recommend any other places?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You could check out the Epicurean Food Hall for value food or the noodle joint on Liffey street, lots of Asia eateries in the Parnell st. area too. Bound to be some healthy wok dishes knocking around.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

iamwh0 wrote: »

Around 11-13 euro depending on which dish you get I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

hfallada wrote: »
    Boojom I think it's called. The burito place in Dublin 1. It's so good. Not sure what time it closes at through

Its very good, was there yesterday. It closes at either 8 or 9pm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

Not sure whether you could call the size of the portions healthy - but Han Sung on Great Strand Street. It's a Korean supermarket in front, sit down food at the back - they do rice and choice of 3 dishes for 5.50 which is a steal!

They also have lots of things they make to order, and all the traditional Korean food is lovely. Closes at 8pm i think...

YumCha wrote: »
    Not sure whether you could call the size of the portions healthy - but Han Sung on Great Strand Street. It's a Korean supermarket in front, sit down food at the back - they do rice and choice of 3 dishes for 5.50 which is a steal!

They also have lots of things they make to order, and all the traditional Korean food is lovely. Closes at 8pm i think...

It is filthy dirty though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

iamwh0 wrote: »

Google

Moonbaby wrote: »
    It is filthy dirty though.

I was in their about 10 days ago and there was no indication that it was dirty at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

What about Govinda's vegetarian restaurant on Middle Abbey Street? Good qaulity vegetarian food and not too expensive. If you like Indian Food how about Delhi O' Deli on Moore Street, Really good reasonably priced Indian Food.

Piliger wrote: »
    I was in their about 10 days ago and there was no indication that it was dirty at all.

I was in there at the start of the year.
    The dining area was grimy. Even the salt shaker was dirty. It obviously hadn't been cleaned properly in quite sometime.
    To be fair, I didn't check out the food prep. I was too scared too.

I wouldn't consider any of those cheap asian places healthy though.
    Except for Mongolian BBQ. Where you can chose what goes into your meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

A here!! Have you checked every one of them out?? I know M&L is very cheap, clean and if you have a bit of cop it's very easy to stick to fish and veg and eat very healthily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Except for Mongolian BBQ. Where you can chose what goes into your meal.

Why is the mongolian bbq healthier than any of the asian places? What do you think goes into the food?

Are you just mixing up all you can eat place and chinese takeaways with 'cheap asian places'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

For a meat and two veg for cheap in town I can recommend the Duke pub on Duke street. The full portions are €11-12 and are huge and too much for me. But for €7.50 you can get a half portion of what ever joint is on or whatever stew/curry, etc. When you ask for a half portion you'll probably get a roll of the eyes from the Swiss-German chef Vern, it pisses him off no end which I find quite funny after several years of doing it when I was a student in Trinity down the road

Unfortunately for the OP the carvery is lunchtime only.

For evening meals for cheap check out the restaurant inside the Irish Film Institute in Temple Bar. Most of the mains are between €7-9 and the food isn't too bad. Staff are a bit lax but I'll put up with that for the cheap eats.

For €9.60 I would far prefer to toddle in to Jimmy Chung's all you can eat - brilliant food every time I go there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you could forego the meat, I'd go to Govinda's.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Most of these suggestions aren't particularly healthy!

Cafe Bliss on Montague Street is a good spot. It's very simple and VERY reasonable food. They do a 2-course early-bird between 5 and 7 for €9.95, but even after that the starters are on average €3-€4 and main courses around €9-10. They do lots of salads and wraps. It's also BYO and they don't charge corkage (I've seen people in there with crates of beer!)

It's located on Montague Street (between Harcourt St and Camden St) so depending where you are in the CC it could be a bit out of your way.

Advertisement