Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-school education for a special need child

Options
  • 16-02-2013 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello,
    I have twin girls and one of my daughters was born very sick and she spent most of her early life in hospital. She had 12 different surgeries and numerous procedures. She is recovering now after medical trip to US. She is still peg feed but we are waiting for a special program in hospital to teach her how to eat, so hopefully she will learn how in a near future. She is now 2 years and 4 months old so as much as I am trying to put our hospital life behind I know it's not going to be easy.
    Now I started to think about next year and what would happen if I would like to find a sort of pre-school which is ready for any kind of children. I mean is there any sort of places in Dublin which offers integrated early education for both sick and healthy childrena?
    My girls were separated most of their life because of our situation and I would like them to attend early education together. They love to spend time together and I wouldn't like to break that bond. Also my daughter will have probably small heath issues next year so I don't think she will be ready to go 'anywhere'.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I was googling to see what I could find out for you and came across this crowd. On their front page you can fill out a little form and request a call back. Talk to them and ask for their advice. They look like a very professional set up.
    I'm struggling to find anything else really other than the above suggestion.

On your girls - I'd talk to a childcare professional about it.

I am not sure what kind of health problems your daughter has - but talk to one of your doctors and find out would they recommend her go into a creche environment when they are so many bugs/infections etc etc. And if your healthy daughter goes, will she bring them all home. Schools, creches, are notorious for passing bugs and infections around.
    I don't know the health situation of your daughter - it may well be that infections/bugs aren't a problem at all or no more than any other child :D

I'd post another version of this over in the Primary & Pre-School forum. Some people over there have worked/or are working in creches, pre-schools etc. and might have some insights for you.

Which part of the creche is important to you? Is it childcare while you work? Is it to develop her social interaction and to mix with kids her own age - type stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Hi Esti, I am familiar with your story from FB. I hope both of the girls are doing well! :)

For various reasons that I won't post publicly, I would not agree with the creche suggested above.

Are you looking to start them soon or would it be for the pre-school scheme prior to going into primary school? You should contact your local County Childcare Committee and speak to someone there who should be able to advise you if any settings in your area have experience dealing with health & feeding issues.

I'll ask around next week too and see if I get any suggestions, I'll pass them on.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Contact your local SENO-special education needs organiser-they will be able to help, I'd hope.
    http://www.ncse.ie/contact_us/SENO_List.asp

Advertisement