Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon Footprint of Multiple Bin Collections?

Options
  • 16-02-2013 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

I was wondering what the additional Carbon footprint was for having multiple bin collections by multiple companies, where previously there was just one provider the Council.
    Now We have at least 3 bin(greyhound, Greensomething and the Red bin gang) companies visiting the estate multiple times a week colleting the greenbin, black bin and grey bin

One of the considerations in having new bin collecting arrangements was to be more environmentally friendly - but is any of this canceled out by extra carbon foot print of multiple bin companies visiting multiple times...

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Do you have any calculations either way? What's the alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

The alternative is to have a third or a quarter of the number of vehicles on the road.

There could be a shared infrastructure, in the same way that you can buy the same gas or electricity from different companies but supplied over one network. It's not the same in that the electricity providers are (in theory) sourcing their supplies via different means and feeding it into the network, while you can't do the reverse and split out the waste from one customer from another at the end of the process but it can certainly be measured by weight when it's being loaded into the vehicle at the kerbside. There's no reason that it couldn't be managed in some way.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭webwayz

I agree information is in short supply.
    For example what do the bin companies get in revenue from recycling the green bin waste? Do they make money from it?
    I would think the extra number of vehicles from different companies and trips made mean that the change to waste management has a considerable negative carbon effect.
    also the physical effect of extra traffic on the roads, and the presence of bins of different hues of different colours on streets pretty much ever day now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

zagmund wrote: »
    The alternative is to have a third or a quarter of the number of vehicles on the road.

There could be a shared infrastructure, in the same way that you can buy the same gas or electricity from different companies but supplied over one network. It's not the same in that the electricity providers are (in theory) sourcing their supplies via different means and feeding it into the network, while you can't do the reverse and split out the waste from one customer from another at the end of the process but it can certainly be measured by weight when it's being loaded into the vehicle at the kerbside. There's no reason that it couldn't be managed in some way.

z
    Ah sorry, I misunderstood your first post.

I'm afraid your vision doesn't fit in with the standard view that as much liberalisation of the market is always better.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Same problem with opening up Public Transport to private entities, good for competition, bad for the enviroment...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

The recycling companies have to be making money out of it otherwise why would they do it. I doubt they are that interested in the ecco side of it. We also have three companies coming into our estate. I still believe the Councils are neglecting their duty to the citizens of this 'green' isle.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

In our case we spend about 30% of typical annual costs by going to the refuse/recycling centre every few weeks ourselves. Its time consuming but saves a lotta cash. We tie it up with trips to town (we're living remotely) for weekly shop so it doesn't result in extra fuel cost or CO2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I live in Dublin but I still make sure I don't travel unnecessarily to the recycling banks and usually do it enroute to the supermarket so it makes no difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Is Ireland still sending rubbish abroad for incineration?

Edit:yup

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Is Ireland still sending rubbish abroad for incineration?
    Sweden are buying rubbish to fuel waste to energy because they recycle too much

• Advertisement
Advertisement