Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Continuing issues with flatmate

Options
  • 16-02-2013 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I recently posted a problem I'm having with my flatmate http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82694713

The issues are basically paying rent late, stealing food, blocking the toilet and not fixing it, not cleaning up after herself as well, the typical stuff.
    We have talked to her about it, but all we get is insincere apologies and nothing changes. As the rent comes out of my girlfriend's account, this means that on rent day all her wages are gone until the flatmate decides to pay, leaving my girlfriend without money and a fine from the bank.
    This is typically the same for the esb and internet bills that come out of my account. This has been going on since we moving in June 2012.

As well as that, she leaves both our flat door and the building door open at night so she can go meet someone or visit the neighbours. She has also given keys to her friends to let themselves in. Of course she never tells us and I come out to the hallway to get a fright from a stranger standing there.

I contacted our estate agent to outline all of the problems in detail so it's on record, myself, my girlfriend, the last housemate and possibly the new one too will back these claims up.
    The estate agent said that she has broken the lease because of the security issues she is posing, but as we all signed the lease with me as the signature, it means we all have broken it. The estate agent is very good and professional and sympathises with us. She said that she contact the landlady in writing if we wish to let her know about it and take action, but I'm not sure if this is such a good idea.
    Is there anyway I could get this flatmate out of the place. It is causing me a lot of stress as well as the others in the flat.

Thank you very much if you can help me, or give me a bit of information, it's much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Either deal with it officially or use your imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Tell her she has to leave.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭ladysarah

As she is signed on the contract and is there over 6 months the landllord/agents hands are tied and they cannot get her out. I would tell her that you want her to move and if she doesnot you will ALL move and everybody will lose their deposit. Explain that it us not working out but if she leaves you will refund her deposit. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The agent/landlord may offer advise but this really is your situation to sort out; you dont really have any right to try and involve them in this. Unless you plan on looking to break the lease such that you will all be leaving the property, it really is up to you to sort this situation out with your housemate. Either you find a way to get her to grow up and cop onto herself or you tell her to leave and find someone to replace her. The only other option available to you is to reassign the entirety of the lease to someone else and everyone move out.

Advertisement