Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aberdeen?

Options
  • 16-02-2013 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hello,

My husband and I will be emigrating to Aberdeen this summer for about a year. Any tips on things to do, good places to eat etc? We'll probably be based near the university.

Thanks,
    C

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

Hello,

My husband and I will be emigrating to Aberdeen this summer for about a year. Any tips on things to do, good places to eat etc? We'll probably be based near the university.

Thanks,
    C

Which University? Aberdeen Uni (so Old Aberdeen, King St, Bridge of don area) or Robert Gordon University (Gartdee way)?

For places to eat, I can't recommend cafe 52 enough. Small restaurant but real good food at great place, plus a really nice atmosphere.

Tips - there's a lot of places to visit by car - heading up to the Cairngorns etc. Usual stuff that every place has, cinema, ice-skating, theatre, gigs, comedy (his majestys theatre and lemon tree good. also the blue lamp do comedy gigs quite regularly). Brewdog is a place you'll want to check out if you like your beers at all - independent brewers just up the road.

The Maritime Museum is worth a pop into aswell, really interesting and free aswell.

Take a trip out to stonehaven aswell - really pretty sea-side town a bit outside the city.

Anything in particular you want to know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chimpokomon

It'll be Aberdeen Uni, thanks! Great tips there. Any ideas on how easy it is generally to get full or part-time work there? An office job for myself would be ideal while he's studying but retail or waitressing would also be good. I suppose I'll find out for myself once I'm over!

It'll be Aberdeen Uni, thanks! Great tips there. Any ideas on how easy it is generally to get full or part-time work there? An office job for myself would be ideal while he's studying but retail or waitressing would also be good. I suppose I'll find out for myself once I'm over!

You'd be looking for somewhere out the Old Aberdeen, King street way - around Pittodrie sort of area, close to the beach and AU gym just beside you aswell or out Bridge of Don (which although further out, is cheaper).

There is a few rough areas just out of Old Aberdeen - top end of George St, Bedford Avenue etc... which although I've lived on for the last 3 years aren't the best. e.g in my 3 years the shop below has been robbed, the one across the road too. A rape happened around the corner and tonight I saw a guy get beat unconscious. not trying to scare you but if you take any advice from let it be this, get a taxi home at night.

In regards to jobs, there is plenty of work around Aberdeen if you're looking. I haven't heard of anyone who actually puts in effort of getting a job not finding one.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

full_irish wrote: »

You'd be looking for somewhere out the Old Aberdeen, King street way - around Pittodrie sort of area, close to the beach and AU gym just beside you aswell or out Bridge of Don (which although further out, is cheaper).

There is a few rough areas just out of Old Aberdeen - top end of George St, Bedford Avenue etc... which although I've lived on for the last 3 years aren't the best. e.g in my 3 years the shop below has been robbed, the one across the road too. A rape happened around the corner and tonight I saw a guy get beat unconscious. not trying to scare you but if you take any advice from let it be this, get a taxi home at night.

In regards to jobs, there is plenty of work around Aberdeen if you're looking. I haven't heard of anyone who actually puts in effort of getting a job not finding one.

I'm moving over in Two weeks. Any tips on where to look for accommodation?

AthAnRi wrote: »
    I'm moving over in Two weeks. Any tips on where to look for accommodation?

Get onto gumtree first off. That's how I've always found my flats if i'm honest, there's always plenty of students doing placements elsewhere looking to sub-let short term so could get into one of those til you find something more permanent

• Advertisement
Advertisement