Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Daniel Day-Lewis: Irish or English??

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Engrish- definitely Engrish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭OCorcrainn

When you are lying drunk at the airport you're Irish. When you win an Oscar you're British.

Brenda Fricker [ After hearing that the British were claiming her after she won an Oscar ]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Raekwon wrote: »
    Rosanna Davison was born in Dublin to an Argentine/English father and English mother.

Rosanna's mother is Irish, and Chris de Burgh is half Irish half English. He was born in Argentina when his father was a diplomat there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

rox5 wrote: »
    I am sorry but are some Irish people complete idiots? (This is coming from an Irish person as well)

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/jason-obrien-daniel-daylewis-is-ours-and-you-cant-have-him-britain-28958382.html

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/movies/james-dempsey-why-we-should-give-daniel-day-lewis-some-peace-29023062.html

I mean this guy has Irish blood in him from his father and even then his father is considered to be Anglo-Irish, as well as living in Wicklow, but that does not make him an Irishman. I love Daniel and his work, but I consider him to be an Englishman with deep love for Ireland. Hell, he even called himself an Englishman in one interview!

I know Britain are no better themselves, for claming Saoirse Ronan and Michael Fassbender as British.

But the thing is I have noticed that Ireland is the worse one for it. Like our Irish presenters are always saying stuff to celebs like "Have you enjoyed Ireland?" "I have heard you have Irish roots?" and so on. Then the celebs feel like they have to give a compliment, when for all we know they probably don't think much of Ireland. And if there is a hint of Irish blood, they always want to claim them. You would barely ever see American or British presenters (apart from what I stated above) doing this as much, so I find it very cringey. I mean one of the presenters from Xpose made a joke of claiming Tilda Swinton as Irish because of her red hair, there is not even irish blood in her!!! And Tilda got all awkward about it, which I am not surprised.

I just don't get it because we already have fantastic Irish actors like Brendan Gleeson, Saoirse Ronan, Cillian Murphy, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Michael Fassbender (I am aware that he has German blood in him though), Colin O'Donoghue, Sarah Bolger, etc, etc. yet instead of appreciating the talent we do have, Irish people seem to want claim anyone who might be Irish at award ceremonies like the Oscars and Baftas. We should appreaciate the fact that our Irish actors act for the craft, not to aim to get a lot of awards.

Sorry for the rant, it's just that this whole claiming thing that Irish presenters and newspapers keep doing is just getting ridiculous now.

Damn cheek, they tried it with Chris O'Dowd also but he done put them in their place:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Same as the rest of the world. Being born in Jamaica to Irish parents makes you Irish ( your parents nationality) unless you grow up there and gain citizenship and pick up their culture they won't consider you Jamacian.

Nope.

Makes you Jamaican. Man.
    3B.-(1) Every person born in Jamaica shall become a citizen of Jamaica

Jamaican Constitution

You may then apply for Irish citizenship on the basis of your parents nationality.

No automatic right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Why don't you ask him OP? I have no doubt he'll tell you he's Irish btw.

Actor losses Oscar race - Sky News report that Irish actor fails in oscar bid.

Actor wins an Oscar - Sky News report that a brit has won the oscar.

Until he tests positives for PEDs that is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

MadsL wrote: »
    You may then apply for Irish citizenship on the basis of your parents nationality.

No automatic right.
    You are automatically Irish if either of your parents are Irish citizens born in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

osarusan wrote: »
    You are automatically Irish if either of your parents are Irish citizens born in Ireland.

Automatically Irish if either of your parents are Irish citizens :confused:

So what if the other parent is German, British, Jamacian? does that still mean that the child is 'automatically' Irish?

PS I cringe at the Late Late show (or the saturday show) every week when the obligatory question comes up "So I hear that you're Irish" well I'm told that my granny came from county Offaly in the 1930s. So then you're one of us then, your a wee Irish Mammy, sure you even look Irish :cool:

TOSH.

LordSutch wrote: »
    Automatically Irish if either of your parents are Irish citizens :confused:

So what if the other parent is German, British, Jamacian? does that still mean that the child is 'automatically' Irish?

PS I cringe at the Late Late show (or the saturday show) every week when the obligatory question comes up "So I hear that you're Irish" well I'm told that my granny came from county Offaly in the 1930s. So then you're one of us then, your a wee Irish Mammy, sure you even look Irish :cool:

TOSH.

Automatically an irish citizen then. Thought it was pretty obvious given the post I quoted.

And yes, regardless of the nationality of the other parent, the child is automatically an Irish citizen, as long as the Irish citizen parent was born in Ireland. There is no need to apply for citizenship.

Whatever other citizenships the child might have automatically or might be entitled to apply for would depend on the citizenship laws of the country the other parent is from, as well as possibly depending on the laws of whatever country the child was born in.

Automatically an irish citizen then. Thought it was pretty obvious given the post I quoted.

And yes, regardless of the nationality of the other parent, the child is automatically an Irish citizen, as long as the Irish citizen parent was born in Ireland. There is no need to apply for citizenship.

Whatever other citizenships the child might have automatically or might be entitled to apply for would depend on the citizenship laws of the country the other parent is from, as well as possibly depending on the laws of whatever country the child was born in.

I just don't get this, presuming we are following on from post#107 and a child is born in Jamaica,
    one parent is Irish & the other something else, and you say that the child is automatically Irish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

LordSutch wrote: »
    I just don't get this, presuming we are following on from post#107 and a child is born in Jamaica,
    one parent is Irish & the other something else, and you say that the child is automatically Irish?

What is there not to get? A person can legally be a citizen of multiple countries. Simples!

It's up to the individual whether or not they want to exercise that citizenship.

What is there not to get? A person can legally be a citizen of multiple countries. Simples!

It's up to the individual whether or not they want to exercise that citizenship.

Dual/multiple citizenship, exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

A child born today in Jamaica of an Irish and (for example) a British parent would be eligible for 3 citizenships. The caveat is that some countries limit multiple citizenships. e.g. India doesn't allow multiple citizenships and the very act of applying for a passport of another country annuls their Indian citizenship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭boboldpilot

As usual some utterly stupid Irish begrudgery and weird logic on show here. Let's ignore the fact that he's a famous and brilliant actor. What if he was just an ordinary guy born in England of an Irish Father and an English Mother but came here to live because he feels at home? Because that's the exact description of my brother in law complete with London accent and he's a fan of England as well as Ireland, who his son plays for at junior level. Maybe you'd class his sons as English as well because actually technically they are as they were born there though they've lived here most of their lives.

According to the weird logic applied by our super patriots they don't count as Irish at all.

Idiots!

There is nothing wrong with being proud of the country you were born in and the country of your heritage and where you live.

Nothing at all. Day Lewis is Irish as much as he's British and vice versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Funny how someone born in the U.S whose ancestors disembarked at Ellis Island in 18 whatever gets the welcome home brother treatment ( when they may even be making their first visit in their 50's ) and someone born in England which is geographically and culturally in our back yard and may have Irish parents and Irish citizenship and been here umpteen times is a 'tan', 'a brit', 'a plastic paddy' ' a wannabe' 'an ENGLISHman' and so on.

I once saw an article in the Indo about some bloke called Patrick Fogarty who committed some misdemeanor or other, you could tell just from looking at him he was Irish, yet every paragraph in the article pointedly referred to him as 'an Englishman' and ' Wolverhampton born', you could see the context it was in a mile off

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

By the ridiculous logic that is being put forward for some people the current captain of the Irish Rugby team Jamie Heaslip can not be considered Irish as he was born in Israel while his father was stationed there.

Such utter rubbish, I have cousins born and raised in England to Irish parents and in my opinion they are both British and Irish, they were brought up in an Irish home in England. They were brought up watching GAA, listening to Irish folk music, supporting Irish teams, following Irish news, interacting with Irish people it just happened to be in England.

Nationality/citizenship is not black and white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Apologies - this is correct. Still a Jamaican though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Two Irish parents = Irish, whether you're born in Ballybrack, Birmingham, Brussels, Budapest or Mogadishu.

Then what about all the so called "new Irish" born in Ireland but with foreign parents?

Are children born in Ireland of Polish parentage automatically Polish? or are they automatically Irish because they were born and bred here?

• Advertisement

• LordSutch wrote: »
    Then what about all the so called "new Irish" born in Ireland but with foreign parents?

Are children born in Ireland of Polish parentage automatically Polish? or are they automatically Irish because they were born and bred here?

Legally speaking, Polish. Culturally speaking, depends on the family.

I think 'depends on the family' say it all really, its never a clear cut issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

rox5 wrote: »
    I am sorry but are some Irish people complete idiots? (This is coming from an Irish person as well)

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/jason-obrien-daniel-daylewis-is-ours-and-you-cant-have-him-britain-28958382.html

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/movies/james-dempsey-why-we-should-give-daniel-day-lewis-some-peace-29023062.html

I mean this guy has Irish blood in him from his father and even then his father is considered to be Anglo-Irish, as well as living in Wicklow, but that does not make him an Irishman. I love Daniel and his work, but I consider him to be an Englishman with deep love for Ireland. Hell, he even called himself an Englishman in one interview!

I know Britain are no better themselves, for claming Saoirse Ronan and Michael Fassbender as British.

But the thing is I have noticed that Ireland is the worse one for it. Like our Irish presenters are always saying stuff to celebs like "Have you enjoyed Ireland?" "I have heard you have Irish roots?" and so on. Then the celebs feel like they have to give a compliment, when for all we know they probably don't think much of Ireland. And if there is a hint of Irish blood, they always want to claim them. You would barely ever see American or British presenters (apart from what I stated above) doing this as much, so I find it very cringey. I mean one of the presenters from Xpose made a joke of claiming Tilda Swinton as Irish because of her red hair, there is not even irish blood in her!!! And Tilda got all awkward about it, which I am not surprised.

I just don't get it because we already have fantastic Irish actors like Brendan Gleeson, Saoirse Ronan, Cillian Murphy, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Michael Fassbender (I am aware that he has German blood in him though), Colin O'Donoghue, Sarah Bolger, etc, etc. yet instead of appreciating the talent we do have, Irish people seem to want claim anyone who might be Irish at award ceremonies like the Oscars and Baftas. We should appreaciate the fact that our Irish actors act for the craft, not to aim to get a lot of awards.

Sorry for the rant, it's just that this whole claiming thing that Irish presenters and newspapers keep doing is just getting ridiculous now.

Why do you care?Honestly.

Anyone can be Irish. Really anyone can be American..if they want to be.

If someone lives with a people in their community they have a bond. Wicklow is his home. So maybe is is both or neither???

I et annoyed with people like the OP who want nationality defined so narrowly...it is an invention....

I know people born of Irish parents abroad who would be offended if you called them Irish ..particularly if raised in a country that celebrates it's own national identity.

There are people who have Irish parents who choose not to have Irish citizenship. My godmothers son has two Irish parents but feels very English and British. He has British citizenship and gave up Irish citizenship.

I have cousins who have done the same. People choose their own identity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

Oh and Liam Neeson became an American citizen two years ago or something. :-P

That golfer from the north should try it!!

If you feel Irish you are ...includes Irish yanks...why not???

Not much of me genetically is Irish.....actually my great grandmother was from New York!

Plus from Northern Ireland can bee British or Irish or both....why cannot an Anglo-Irish man??

Maybe he is just Daniel Day Lewis....actor ..person type human

• Registered Users Posts: 28 steffifandler

Ok the debate is gonna be raging again today - especially after this mornings Sun headline: "Daniel's triple triumph: Brit star makes Oscar history with third gong"

The first two comments in the Suns website are:

daveplymouth
    Daniel Michael Blake Day-Lewis (born 29 April 1957) is an English actor with both British and Irish citizenship. Day-Lewis, who grew up in London, is the son of actress Jill Balcon and Poet Laureate Cecil Day-Lewis.

ardmore02
    "The British star picked up his third....."
    British by birth, but Irish by heart

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Evilsbane

I generally go by where the person spent most of their childhood. If a person was born in Russia, was raised in Lithuania and now lives in Poland, I would consider them mostly Lithuanian. In any case it hardly matters.

In the case of Day-Lewis he's clearly English; born there, raised there and his parents are mostly English. He's good at playing Irish characters, but then he's good at playing any kind of character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

The problem is as I've said before is that a lot of people in England don't consider somebody English unless their parents are also English. Its one of the reasons why I don't consider myself English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Daniel Day-Lewis doesn't even live here any more. He moved to New York last year with his wife and kids. Every time I hear his name mentioned on the radio or in conversation he is always referred to as "Wicklow resident". He's not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

Saoirse Ronan is American anyway, her dad is Irish, think her mom is too, but she was born in New York & holds dual nationality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Was it Ricky Gervais who said that he was "half-English/half-French, crap in bed and reeking of garlic"

If Daniel Day-Lewis is half-English/half-Irish, then that would make him:
    "Crap in bed, and reeking of Tayto".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Who actually gives a ****?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭rox5

doubledown wrote: »
    Daniel Day-Lewis doesn't even live here any more. He moved to New York last year with his wife and kids. Every time I hear his name mentioned on the radio or in conversation he is always referred to as "Wicklow resident". He's not!

I think he only moved there for the filming of Lincoln, he might have already moved back.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

If the man actually acquired Irish citizenship, lives in Wicklow by will, unlike some Irish people there and considers himself Irish at heart then let him be féckin Irish!

It's not as if he's calling himself Irish after just going through Dublin Airport on a connecting flight to America ffs

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

sully2010 wrote: »
    What would be your preferred actors if you think those two are overrated? Apart from the fact Day Lewis is probably going to be the first male actor ever to get 3 oscars he is without doubt one of the best character actors ever and in interviews he comes across as an extremely down to earth person.

Each to their own I suppose.

you are using the Oscars as an example of greatness...

You argoment is invalid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

BBC News calls him "British born", draw your own conclusions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Irish eyes?!! Irish oscars, dammit.. just how much time does he spend up in them hills anyhow. Hollywoods ain't got shìt, more best actors than brando himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

you are using the Oscars as an example of greatness...

You argoment is invalid

Its one of the top honours he can get in his profession, so I think the poster is right lincoln the Oscars and greatness

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭LincolnsBeard

"I have no illusion about the fact that I'm an Englishman living in Ireland. Even though I do straddle both worlds and I'm very proud to be able to carry both passports. But I do know where I come from".

- Daniel Day Lewis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

"I have no illusion about the fact that I'm an Englishman living in Ireland. Even though I do straddle both worlds and I'm very proud to be able to carry both passports. But I do know where I come from".

- Daniel Day Lewis
    All the wee people worry about his nationality while he worries about which country would charge him less tax. If America agreed to charge him zero he would become American ffs. Stop worrying about people's tax arrangements I mean nationalities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

doubledown wrote: »
    The amount he has done for The Wicklow Hospice Foundation in the past year along supersedes anything you have posted above,does it matter what nationality he is? Hell no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

gcgirl wrote: »
    The amount he has done for The Wicklow Hospice Foundation in the past year along supersedes anything you have posted above,does it matter what nationality he is? Hell no

What has he done? Genuinely asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

No Oscars = English.

3 Oscars = Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

English. Loves life in Ireland but by his own admission he's English.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pathfinder0

I think DDL he is an englishman, with clearly affection for Ireland.

Just digging into his background a bit more, looking at his parents specifically...

His Dad, Cecil day lewis was anglo-irish... my understanding of that means someone of english decent/stock born in Ireland (even going back many generations). So...he's Dad has english/British blood and who moved to England when he was 2 years old, where he was brought up in London. DDL's Dad continued to regard himself as Anglo-Irish for most of his life, though after the declaration of the Republic of Ireland in 1948 he chose British rather than Irish citizenship, on the grounds that 1940 (WW2) had taught him where his deepest roots lay... he become poet laureate to the UK in 1968.

His Mother was born in London, with both her parents being of eastern european-jewish decent way back.

ok, so we know DDl was born and grew up in London, went to drama school in england, learnt his craft in england and has described himself as an englishman... (I have never heard or read that he said he is Irish) even supports Millwall Fc lol !

As we already know he got Irish citizenship 20 years ago, with British dual nationality.

I think it's fairly safe to say he is english, with some irish roots/affiliation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

supports Millwall Fc lol !

Daniel 'Den' Lewis?

Den-iel day... ah forget it. Daniel day hooligan, tbh.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

If you are born here then yes you are Irish, if you move here no you are not Irish,just my opinion though.

Unionists born in the South are Irish whether they like it or not.

So despite the fact that I have Irish citizenship, was born to two Irish parents and was brought up as an Irish child proud of being so, I'm not Irish because I wasn't born here?

Bullish*t. Your nationality is what you choose it to be be it based on your heritage, where you were born, where you were brought up or even just what your passport says.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

To add:

DDL has made huge contributions to Wicklow, particularly the hospice which he had raised a huge amount of money for. Most recently he held an auction of Lincoln film memorabilia at the Lincoln Irish Premiere. He is regularly seen around the town and I would consider him more local than many others here, including myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I'm American born to a half Irish half Colombian mother and a Mexican father. Have lived in Mexico, spent my teens in Ireland and now back in the US.

I felt very much Irish while I lived there and my accent has a bit of northside Dublin in it. I even use my mothers last name as my internet name for registration forms etc. But since I've been back in the US I'm feeling more Mexican as I'm speaking Spanish on a day to day basis and have more exposure to other Latinos.

My point being it ain't where you from it's what influences your day to day life. Strangely I have never felt American despite it being my primary nationality and the place where I've spent most of my life. So no surprise Daniel still see's himself as English despite his Irish connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Westsbest

Who cares where he's from,great performance and as WB said"It's not the man it's the art"

• Advertisement
Advertisement