Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel Insurance: Problems Renewing on 1st Day of Holiday?

Options
  • 16-02-2013 8:09pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've got a travel insurance policy that gets renewed annually. This year the renewal happens to fall on the day I fly out for a holiday.

Things that travel insurance covers would be the likes of industrial action but only if I had no knowledge of it when booking. Now if my travel insurance renewal only covers from the day I'm due to fly then, technically, if there was an issue I'd be renewing it (albeit automatically) with full knowledge of any industrial action. Does that mean I wouldn't be able to make any claims?

There's the similar potential issue of the ill health of a close family member. It would be covered within the defined period but, if something were to happen, I'd again be again potentially claiming it with full knowledge of events because my insurance policy renewed after the event happened but before my holiday (so, for example, if something happened the day or two prior to my holiday which is unfortunately a possibility at the moment).

Anyone know what might happen in this case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭locohobo

New insurance if renewed automatically would take effect approx 1sec after lapse of old policy. So if something happened it would be covered under old policy or would have to happen within the 1sec to be a known factor...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can you renew early? Just to make sure it goes through?

Renewals are generally less of a problem than new policies, but the rule about not booking when you expect (as opposed tot here being a vague possibility of) disruption would still apply.

Advertisement