Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Game called off over flag protestors

• 16-02-2013 8:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-21487405
    The Irish Premiership match between Crusaders and Cliftonville was called off on Saturday due to a loyalist protest outside the ground.

Police said they were attacked with bottles and other missiles after they began moving protesters at Seaview. Three arrests were made.

A small 'white line' protest had been allowed to take place for about 40 minutes.

Police moved it on to allow fans to get into the north Belfast ground.

The match was called off at 15:10 GMT because of safety concerns.

Most Cliftonville supporters and many Crusaders fans had been unable to gain access to the stadium.

A police spokesperson said: "Upon learning of the public disorder both clubs advised police that the game would not proceed.

"This is a regrettable outcome for the clubs, the many genuine fans who wanted to watch the match and indeed the wider north Belfast community."

Flags eh?

19:45 Cliftonville ? - ? Cork City
    19:45 Coleraine ? - ? Shamrock Rovers
    19:45 Glentoran ? - ? St. Patricks
    19:45 Portadown ? - ? Drogheda United

Mondays SSC fixtures, if you were a betting man which game would you have as most likely to have " issues" :(

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Mondays SSC fixtures, if you were a betting man which game would you have as most likely to have " issues" :(
    Coleraine and Shams!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

The people who are doing this should remember that in the end they are just weakening the Irish League. In the Past isDerry has had to come to the LOI and Belfast Celtic left the Irish League altogether.

They are just going the work of the real IRA at the moment - its madness. In fairness the Setanta cup games have been played in a great spirit mostly and have no political overtones. Lets just leave it like that.

Why have the IRA been mentioned in this thread :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Why do you care if they are?

No idea, obviously is confused over the flag issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Think he means it will force more teams to join LOI which would all be Catholic which would be doing the loyaliists job? :confused:

Was gonna drive up on monday think i will get the bus and not sit at the window :p

CSF wrote: »
    Why do you care if they are?
    Because that's not really how threads work.

May as well start talking about what we had for dinner. Spanish stew for me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Ridiculous that this is still going on! Pats game with the biggest potential for trouble because of the location rather than their own doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Quite a comment on irish football that a top level game was cancelled because of a political protest stopping fans getting to see it attracts 8 comments. Shocking stuff what went on and fair play to the Crusaders fans who showed solidarity with their rivals. Oh wait whats Joey Barton tweeing??? :rolleyes: Quelle surprise i suppose.

Quite a comment on irish football that a top level game was cancelled because of a political protest stopping fans getting to see it attracts 8 comments. Shocking stuff what went on and fair play to the Crusaders fans who showed solidarity with their rivals. Oh wait whats Joey Barton tweeing??? :rolleyes: Quelle surprise i suppose.
    Northern Irish. Don't think we've a huge amount of NI posters on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Quite a comment on Irish supporters that you don't know the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

And you support?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its called a 'fleg' not a flag;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Quite a comment on the situation when you see the club that two of the posters in this thread support.

Don't support Irish football, but feel the need to comment on a political situation.

Cool.

but don't start pontificating to others when it's obvious as hell what the game is here lads.

Northern Irish. Don't think we've a huge amount of NI posters on here.
    They play for the Irish Football Association. They also play against FAI clubs, as highlighted in the OP.

It's certainly a lot closer to home than what fictional antics Balotelli has got up to.

They werent

They werent
    At least edit your post if you're going to run with that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

And you support?
    Quite a comment on the situation when you see the club that two of the posters in this thread support.

Don't support Irish football, but feel the need to comment on a political situation.

Cool.

but don't start pontificating to others when it's obvious as hell what the game is here lads.

It doesn't matter who they support, they're perfectly entitled to give their opinion.

lol the state of Irish football fans eh

WAH WAH WAH EVERYONE SUPPORTS BRITISH TEAMS

followed by

hey don't talk about Irish football!!!

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Think he means it will force more teams to join LOI which would all be Catholic which would be doing the loyaliists job? :confused:

Was gonna drive up on monday think i will get the bus and not sit at the window :p

Kind of getting at that. Just pointing out that stopping Irish League teams playing is exactly what dissident Republican Groups want.

Anyway politics should be kept out of football. End of

• Advertisement

At least edit your post if you're going to run with that...

At least read the bloody post properly

What on earth do the IRA or dissident Republican groups have to do with any of this? Sounds like you have a serious agenda here little man.

inb4 you say you havent mentioned either

5"9. Its probably little for nowadays. Brown hair with blue eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Cool.

I don't understand this comment, can you expand on what you mean here?

The flags issue protests have been disrupting life in Northern Ireland for months now, I suppose it was bound to affect sporting occasions sooner or later as well. I think the protests affected people trying to get to an Ulster rugby match at Ravenhill a few months back, well it meant that people were delayed getting to the match. The political will has to be there across the political spectrum in Northern Ireland in order to force these people to abide by the rule of law. A so called "peaceful protest" that ends up in an event being abandoned is a "peaceful protest" that has crossed the line.

The best thing about this whole fleg thing is that it has nothing whatsoever to do with Republicans, dissident or otherwise. So watching certain people squirm as they attempt to drag them into it and share the blame is rather hilarious.

B-b-but they defended their homes when we threw rocks and petrol bombs at them because we couldn't accept a democratic decision by officials we elected - blame them too! :(

The best thing about this whole fleg thing is that it has nothing whatsoever to do with Republicans, dissident or otherwise. So watching certain people squirm as they attempt to drag them into it and share the blame is rather hilarious.

B-b-but they defended their homes when we threw rocks and petrol bombs at them because we couldn't accept a democratic decision by officials we elected - blame them too! :
    (

Can I just point out that I agree it has nothing to do with Republican groups - Thats what I am saying. Its why those flag protests are so stupid. Next they will be picketing the 12th of July marches.

People really dont read posts on forums anymore just the odd word and want to be annoyed.

Can I just point out that I agree it has nothing to do with Republican groups - Thats what I am saying. Its why those flag protests are so stupid. Next they will be picketing the 12th of July marches.

People really dont read posts on forums anymore just the odd word and want to be annoyed.
    I'm not annoyed I just don't see the need for people to drag Republicanism into it. Those responsible for the riots have been trying their hardest to do it from day 1 so I would expect more evolved human beings to be above it is all.

lol the state of Irish football fans eh

WAH WAH WAH EVERYONE SUPPORTS BRITISH TEAMS

followed by

hey don't talk about Irish football!!!
    Its a different country. Is of no more relevance to fans of Irish football than England is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The politics talk stops now. The thread stays open for discussion of the Setanta Cup fixtures.

• Advertisement

The post above was the one I was replying to, good job knowing what you're replying to though.

ColeTrain wrote: »

It doesn't matter who they support, they're perfectly entitled to give their opinion.

It sure does if the irony means anything.

It sure does if the irony means anything.
    Unless he supports a team whose games have been called off for similar reasons I fail to see where the irony lies.

Unless he supports a team whose games have been called off for similar reasons I fail to see where the irony lies.

Makes it even a more retarded comment then.

I don't see how you not understanding irony makes anyone else's posts look stupid but fair enough.

My last post was actually about the Setanta Cup fixtures and was still deleted, so we should probably leave this thread alone.

I don't see how you not understanding irony makes anyone else's posts look stupid but fair enough.

My last post was actually about the Setanta Cup fixtures and was still deleted, so we should probably leave this thread alone.

I never said anyone else's post was stupid so stop talking BS.

About the games. I hope they pass off without incident. Been to few there and good Craic with no trouble.

• Advertisement

The post above was the one I was replying to, good job knowing what you're replying to though.

What?:confused:

And you support?

it's quite obvious who i support. I also support and follow Irish football in general and regularly go to LoI games. I couldnt really call myself a great fan of any club i suppose but mainly go to Sligo matches when i can. That answer your question??

What?:confused:
    A post was deleted that I had quoted, which was also deleted from my post.

Probably best for my own sake not to re-quote it.

You calling my post retarded??

Mod said politics had to stop and now its just a fight!

• Advertisement

Mod said politics had to stop and now its just a fight!

No one is fighting.

Advertisement