Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trying to enter the world of biking at age 27

• 16-02-2013 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hey,

Apologies if this has been asked already, did a quick search but couldn't find much under new rules.

I want to get on my first bike this year but I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the new licence rules.

Background Info:

I'm 27, have been driving car 10 year and have full licence for about same. Do not any bike licence or experience.

Request:

1. Approx cost for start up/entry bike and associated extras, IBT course, tax, insurance, equip etc.

2. Any recommendation for a starter bike

3. Since I am over 24 can I apply straight for an A provisional licence or do i still need to go for an A1 or A2 and work the way up?

Thanks and regards in advance,

LT Smash

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

i started when i was 27, am now 31,
    it was a real pain back then and unfortunately its gotten worse...

i am not too sure what the current cost is but i imagine its similar, for me it was
    IBT 450, gear 300, helmet 350, bike was 3500, i bought most gear from fc-moto, i bought a ninja 250 i think it was only a few months old when i bought it but i was the second owner and got a decent bargain as i was paying cash..

the bike is a personal one as i prefer sports bike looks so the ninja 250 was a decent start, have a look on donedeal and see what you fancy, most bikes can be restricted, to be honest its probably best to get something with out fairings, as its cheaper if you drop it..have a look at a bros 400 maybe thats the type you like, as i said its a personal preference thing..

i am not too sure about the new categories, but i think if you do up to IBT5 you can get an unrestricted licence but you have to do 2 tests..but i may be wrong on that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

It is a pain in the arse starting out TBH, but once the financial outlay is done at the start after the 1st year things do fall quickly (unless you unlucky enough to have a claim)

The best advice I can give is get your gear 1st when you have all the money, that way you will lean towards the better stuff. Then buy the bike with what is left over, that is what I did. No point having a uber good bike and risking your health with inferior kit coz you spent it on a bike with less mileage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

After your theory test, apply for an unrestricted A Learner permit.
    While doing your ibt, you will get the feel for bikes and then decide what bike is best suited to you.
    Gear should be supplied for the ibt, so you will get to know what type of gear is best suited you you too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

eurofoxy wrote: »
    i started when i was 27, am now 31,
    it was a real pain back then and unfortunately its gotten worse...

If Anything I wouldve thought it was easier for 24+ to get a fully unrestricted A Licence now. You can Apply for your A LP, do your IBT (Modules 1,3,5) and then do your full A test and come out with a full licence unrestricted ? Pretty sure your bike only needs a restriction if your under 24 and you got your licence within the last two years.

I managed to spend 220 on my gear start out, although I was lucky with the jacket and trousers as I got them 2nd hand it excellent condition for 80 quid. Helment set me back 100, Again Shark RSF (Not a scratch on it/Never worn) and then a pair of gloves AGV I believe for 40. Still need some boots though =/ Planning on picking them up at the bike show this march!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

Simple, Its going to cost you 4000

2000 for a decent second hand starter biker think- 600cc - bandit ,fazer, SV650 or similar

2000 for liscence,IBT, insurance, Tax, basic gear, helmet, locks & cover etc,

The overall value of it all is priceless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Notch000 wrote: »
    Simple, Its going to cost you 4000

2000 for a decent second hand starter biker think- 600cc - bandit ,fazer, SV650 or similar

2000 for liscence,IBT, insurance, Tax, basic gear, helmet, locks & cover etc,

The overall value of it all is priceless
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Lt Smash

Thanks for all the help lads. Was thinking around the 3.5 to 4k mark alright to kick off with it for the first year alright.

I think/hope the thrill and experience is worth every penny.

Do I have to do the theory test again for the bike licence even though I hold a full car licence and have it done for that already? Or is it a different test for the bike? Do you need to bring your own bike and gear for the IBT or can you try a few different bikes during the course to get a feel for them? I suppose there pro's to bringing your own bike as well to get the feel for that to learn on, or does it really make a difference what bike you learn on?

Looking at bandits at the moment, seem to be a common enough starter and people seem to have a lot of good things to say about them.

Lt Smash wrote: »
    Thanks for all the help lads. Was thinking around the 3.5 to 4k mark alright to kick off with it for the first year alright.

Do I have to do the theory test again for the bike licence even though I hold a full car licence and have it done for that already? Or is it a different test for the bike? Do you need to bring your own bike and gear for the IBT or can you try a few different bikes during the course to get a feel for them? I suppose there pro's to bringing your own bike as well to get the feel for that to learn on, or does it really make a difference what bike you learn on?

Looking at bandits at the moment, seem to be a common enough starter and people seem to have a lot of good things to say about them.

Yes, you do have to do the theory test again (absolute sham) even if you have a full car licence. Its the same test with a few extra questions and not just on bikes you will get tractor question the lot!!

Anyone IBT instructor worth a visit will have all the gear you need to do the IBT including the bike. In fact I would recommend using the instructors bikes as you will get something from riding different machines. Does not matter what you learn on....just get a good instructor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭Mr Motorcycle

Lt Smash wrote: »

Depends when you did the theory test for the car,its worth checking with the motortax office in the mid ninetes the theory test covered the car and bike,so you might save yourself some time and money by making a quick phone call,
    Bandit 6 is a good bike but as previous posts suggest use the school bike to get a feel for it and then make up your mind.
    I always advise my students to use the school bike and protective equipment.
    The idea of IBT is to advise you on gear etc so at least when you walk into a bike shop to buy your gear you know what your talking about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

The idea of IBT is to advise you on gear etc so at least when you walk into a bike shop to buy your gear you know what your talking about

Ehh??? :confused: I hope that was another typo!

• Advertisement

I always advise my students....

Good luck to that....:rolleyes:

Advertisement