Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FF the biggest party in Ireland

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

zenno wrote: »

Interesting. One problem with it though. I kept wanting to punch the screen every time I saw Mary O'Rourkes smug face pretending she knew everything that was happening. God I hate that woman. If there's one good thing Fianna fail did, it was relegate her to purgatory that is the Seanad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

I think what this shows is that the electorare have not accepted the diet of non-stop "Its all FF's fault, nobody but FF, builders developers and bankers benifitted from the bubble" crap which has been fed to us by the media.
    Many have lapped it up, and will never vote FF again, but while the majority felt FF were SOMEWHAT culpable and wanted to give them a kicking, they haven't drank the Kool Aid completely.

johnr1 wrote: »
    I think what this shows is that the electorare have not accepted the diet of non-stop "Its all FF's fault, nobody but FF, builders developers and bankers benifitted from the bubble" crap which has been fed to us by the media.
    Many have lapped it up, and will never vote FF again, but while the majority felt FF were SOMEWHAT culpable and wanted to give them a kicking, they haven't drank the Kool Aid completely.

Just because FG are useless doesn't mean that FF weren't conniving, incompetent bastards who are responsible for years of mismanagement that finally resulted in a crash. The only other people who share any responsibility are the stupid bastards that drank the FF kool aid and believe that the people who ran the country for 10+ years before the crash aren't responsible for it.

Grayson wrote: »
    Just because FG are useless doesn't mean that FF weren't conniving, incompetent bastards who are responsible for years of mismanagement that finally resulted in a crash. The only other people who share any responsibility are the stupid bastards that drank the FF kool aid and believe that the people who ran the country for 10+ years before the crash aren't responsible for it.

Thank you for your insightful understanding of what happened, its great that you aren't just another sheep "Four legs good, Two legs bad" :pac:

Btw, I never said FG were "useless".

By all means though, blame the bubble and bust on a political party rather than the complex set of circumstances and history that caused it if that makes YOU feel better about it.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Thank you for your insightful understanding of what happened, its great that you aren't just another sheep "Four legs good, Two legs bad" :pac:

By all means though, blame the bubble and bust on a political party rather than the complex set of circumstances and history that caused it if that makes YOU feel better about it.:)

There is fúck all "complex" about the corruption, gross incompetence, and mismanagment that FF engaged in.

• Advertisement

How about the lack of regulation in the building industry? How about the lack of regulation in the banking industry? The insane croke park agreement? The tribunals? How about Bertie admitting that when he was minister for finance, he didn't have a bank account and kept all his money in a suitcase under the bed? How about the dodgy donations? Liam Lawlor?

They were corrupt and incompetant and they kept buying their way back into power on the backs of tax incentives and massive public spending. Yet after all that money spent, our transport, healthcare and education systems have hardly changed.

How about the lack of regulation in the building industry? How about the lack of regulation in the banking industry? The insane croke park agreement? The tribunals? How about Bertie admitting that when he was minister for finance, he didn't have a bank account and kept all his money in a suitcase under the bed? How about the dodgy donations? Liam Lawlor?

They were corrupt and incompetant and they kept buying their way back into power on the backs of tax incentives and massive public spending. Yet after all that money spent, our transport, healthcare and education systems have hardly changed.

Who exactly are you arguing with? Have I suggested this^^^^ is not the case? Where?

What I said, and only that is that the causes of the bubble and bust Ireland went through are many and complicated. To suggest that it's all FF's fault only is both stupid and simplistic. Just because you'd like that to be true doesn't make it so.

Who exactly are you arguing with?

I'm not sure. I have to stop replying to posts when people are talking to me. I completly misread you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

We shouldnt just blame FF, we should blame the people who continuously returned them to power.....oh wait?

FF have gotten rid of most of the top brass of previous governments, they'll have themselves rebranded by the time of the next general election and they're in.

We bring it on ourselves - we need to take responsibility for their actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭space_man

isn't it time we ditched the old civil war quasi divide? that was 1922 ffs.
    i mean there's not a hair's breadth between the 2 in terms of policy or ideology. their stance on economic and social issues are the same, as are their membership and supporters.

both FF & FG have very decent members (and both have lousy ones), so a Govt/Cabinet drawn from both might be better?
    isn't it time we grew up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Pilotdude5 wrote: »
    Houses for all!

yeah and if they give us all free houses then they can get more property tax back... a win win for gov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Anyone who thinks there is any real difference between Fianna Fail and Fine Gael is a fool. They're as bad as each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

space_man wrote: »
    isn't it time we ditched the old civil war quasi divide? that was 1922 ffs.
    i mean there's not a hair's breadth between the 2 in terms of policy or ideology. their stance on economic and social issues are the same, as are their membership and supporters.

both FF & FG have very decent members (and both have lousy ones), so a Govt/Cabinet drawn from both might be better?
    isn't it time we grew up?
    The decent members don't have any power and so will never be able to control the corrupt/inept members.

Anyone who thinks there is any real difference between Fianna Fail and Fine Gael is a fool. They're as bad as each other.

I dunno. I have a bit more respect for some of the FG TD's. But as an organisation there's very little difference between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭space_man

I dunno. I have a bit more respect for some of the FG TD's. But as an organisation there's very little difference between them.

FG would appear more honest, but also more aloof. FF appear more in touch with ordinary folk, but are also more opportunist imo.
    the overlap is huge though, so there are many exceptions.

i think it's time the country was offered a proper left/right choice.
    the big problem with this country is you can cast your vote, but in the end you never know what combination or concoction of a Govt. you're gonna get.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Interesting. One problem with it though. I kept wanting to punch the screen every time I saw Mary O'Rourkes smug face pretending she knew everything that was happening. God I hate that woman. If there's one good thing Fianna fail did, it was relegate her to purgatory that is the Seanad.

look at all the gob-sh*te laughing and cheering that eejit on. :rolleyes:

Traditionally FG were the party of law and order, of wealthy farmers, - the establishment basically.
    FF were the slightly less establishment, more innovative, more working class party. They then moved up on the social ladder as their working class and smallholder voters moved into business and brought their civil war politics along.

The problem here is that for many years people looked at who their parents voted for as opposed to looking at their own position within society and at which party best represents them. This in my opinion is why we have no credible left opposition and why neither of the two large parties are brave enough to formulate proper centre right policies, but instead try to be catch-all parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

When will we stop allowing goldfish to vote in elections.

people really do have short memories.

Advertisement