Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pajero Jr thoughts ?

• 16-02-2013 9:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

Yes I know I was on yesterday looking for Rav4 advice and went to see a total beaut today - GF was on the fence about it, had a reserve till tonight as we were 90% sure only to get a txt before we even got in the front door that he sold it! - Fecker!

Anyhoo's on looking around in a similar price range came across a '97 Pajero Jr - 91k on it, yes I know, small engine - not great on gas, but anything I read points to similar reliability, fun enough to drive and they seem to hold value pretty well.

2 hour trip if we go to see it so anything you can throw down would be appriciated.

wouldn't mind a "real" pajero - but in the budget it'd end up being in rag order or 91/93 probably at best ('97 is really pushing it age wise for the gf) - now the decent Rav4 is gone she's back looking at bloody honda city's :( interior is ****e in them and to drive - oh so "generic" - I know she has a soft spot for Small roundy Jeeps e.g. Jimny/rav4/Pajero jr

Save me from the City!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

The name alone is enough to turn me off buying one - the junior bit makes it even more comical.
    http://dictionary.reverso.net/spanish-english/pajero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭romperstomper

not to hijack your thread, but i have a perfect condition '93, NCT to 2014, tax til 2014 only 87K miles. it is absolutely, and im not kidding here, worthless. the only good thing it has going for it is that it has classic insurance (205e fully comp for the year for me & the missus).

a 97, won't even have the classic insurance thing going for it, so why would you go up the years? if i was buying again, 83- 85 would be the ideal years, as the tax would only be 65e. obviously the insurance would still be cheap.

just my 2c, but you should be going down the years and not up.

one last thing. rav4 is a your womans car. nothing wrong with that. but there is no comparison between that and a pajero. different class of vehicle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How would a 93 get a 2 year nct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭shooter88

I had a pajero 2.8 and unless your going to be doing a lot of towing and need a solid work vehicle don't buy one they slaughter diesel lucky to see 20mpg ..
    Have you looked at opel/vx fronteras?very economical 2.2turbo diesel lots of room in lwb easy and cheap to fix the mother has one with 212k miles on the clock still never missed a beat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

shooter88 wrote: »
    I had a pajero 2.8 and unless your going to be doing a lot of towing and need a solid work vehicle don't buy one they slaughter diesel lucky to see 20mpg ..
    Have you looked at opel/vx fronteras?very economical 2.2turbo diesel lots of room in lwb easy and cheap to fix the mother has one with 212k miles on the clock still never missed a beat
    It's a Pajaro Junior the op is looking at though. Them fronteras are nothing but scrap imo.

• Advertisement

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    It's a Pajaro Junior the op is looking at though. Them fronteras are nothing but scrap imo.
    The op siad they wouldn't mind a real pajero..
    I have to say can't fault them at all reliable and do the job for light work,within the op budget there is not any better on offer

I you want a bad handling mini SUV, then a jimmy or terios should also be considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Im living 10k miles away from IRE right now in a tropical climate or I'd probably take it off your hands alright :P

Well aware the RAV is a diff class of vehicle than a Pajero diesel, but herself wont budge on an older car (or I'd be getting a classic for sure) - but I've always liked the look of them every since they came out TBH since they came out.

To be fair to the Rav it was the nicest vehicle to drive out of everything we've tried so far - and they were all kept in better nick inside and under the hood than pretty much anything else we saw.
    • CRV - Boring as hell, did everything I asked, but felt like I should have seven dwarves in the back as well though every time I looked in the rearview.
    • Honda City - sluggish for the size even with the 1.5vtec and just plain boring
    • Rav4's drove 3 - Didn't feel underpowered, loved the driving position and visibility especially

Was Considering a Vitara, or Fourtrak/Feroza but haven't found any tidy ones yet that has all the proper paperwork even to see if I like how they drive (bad paperwork - which is normal for locals but don't fancy getting caught as a foreigner with semi-legit papers)

Jimny's are too expensive still, around 1000+ euro more than a Rav or Pajero Jr. I dont have any reason why as they are cheap as chips to buy new (yes cars are ridiculously priced compared to back home).

4x4 is a minor plus in typhoon seasons and provincial - roads/trails and take into Consideration that the half the highways here are worse than Cavan in the late 80's. Herself thinks any car thats newer is automatically going to last longer :( hard pushed to go faster than 65 at most even on the highways at the best of times.

Hehe, and insurance here (TPL) is a tenner, tax 80 euro odd (per year) ;)

shooter88 wrote: »
    The op siad they wouldn't mind a real pajero..
    I have to say can't fault them at all reliable and do the job for light work,within the op budget there is not any better on offer
    Sorry I never seen that part of the post:o..apologies. Imo them frontieras are one of the worst jeeps out there. They are horrible mechanically and are underpowered, slow, unrefined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

I had a 96 Pajero junior. Best little run around I ever had! Very reliable, never broke down and in the 11 years I had it only had to replace the battery and tyres! Flew through every nct. The one downside was the petrol consumption. It was very thirsty. Despite their small size you can pack quite a lot into them. Helped many a friend move house with it! A 96/97 shouldn't break the bank - €2/3k is the most you should pay. Good luck with it!

• Advertisement

Real Pajero realistically just isn't an option (well it is for me - not for her as its too old).

Good to hear about your Jr, heard they were a lil thirsty alright - theres not much diff in milage between them and the 2.0 Rav or 2.5 Pajero, 3 or 4 mpg at most it seems.

It'll be a bit more expensive over here unfortunatly - closer to 4.5- 5k all cars are ridiculously high priced.

To give you an example ...

in the 4-5k price range....
    1994/96 BMW 316
    1999 - 2002 Civic
    1996/7 Rav4
    1998/99 CRV
    1996/97 Pajero Jr
    1989/92 Pajero 2.5

And back home you couldn't give away half of them - although the milage will probably be less than half that of an irish car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭romperstomper

whats the year and the price of the rav4 you liked the best? need to know what we are dealing with here in terms of budget.

shooter88 is on the money when it comes to mpg, the 2.8 is very thirsty BUT the good news is that it isn't thirsty when working. e.g. i still get 20mpg even when towing 2ton of kit around.

whats the year and the price of the rav4 you liked the best? need to know what we are dealing with here in terms of budget.

shooter88 is on the money when it comes to mpg, the 2.8 is very thirsty BUT the good news is that it isn't thirsty when working. e.g. i still get 20mpg even when towing 2ton of kit around.
    Mine was faultless 95 jap import with twin batteries etc.
    90k miles(never really believed it as was to good to be true for price) but all paperwork matched up and was immaculate inside and out spotless engine bay..had her for 2years and a lot of fun put up 20k odd miles in that time replaced one battery tyres and brake pads along with the usual servicing.a mate has it now for moving boats and general donkey work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Not a person

colm_mcm wrote: »
    How would a 93 get a 2 year nct?
    2014 is one year from now, not two.

2014 is one year from now, not two.
    It was initially 2015. The post was edited after that comment.;)

One we liked best is gone, it was a 97 AT, 94,000 kilometers, full history 2 owners (relatives) ... pristine inside and out, new tires all round. That was around 4,500 euro - maybe the buyer wont turn up and we'll nab it.

#2 though - have a peek http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/7701280/1997+rav4+3+Dr+M/T+-+Best+Buy%21%21%21?referralKeywords=Rav4&event=Search+Ranking,Position,4-11,71

Second in line though is a '97 Limited edition, full leather, wooden dash bits, HID upgrade, 91,000 kilometers clean history but a minor oil leak - not the head gasket though which he already replaced a few months back on silly advice from his driver (yes he has a driver) He reckons its probably either the sump seal or Distributor O-Ring and offered us to have a mechanic fully check it out, find the leak, get a price and he'll deduct it from the final sale price and put in writing a personal money back guarantee (which is neg) - same goes for the driver seatbelt which isn't retracting (known fault).

It's currently up for grabs @ around 5k, might get it for 4.75k minus the repair and mechanic cost - its a bit more pokey than the AT - although getting my right arm used to shifting is weird.

Pajero Jr is this one - 2hr road trip to go see it though :-S

http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/7841926/CARS?referralKeywords=pajero+jr&event=Search+Ranking,Position,2-4,24

There is also this Pajero 2.5 that I would like to go see as well - it says 2004 or something silly but its a 1992 that looks very tidy and the same price.

http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/7503229/pajero?referralKeywords=pajero&event=Search+Ranking,Position,6-15,115

We also saw a third Lemon Standard Rav4 2.0 AT affair from a dealer @ 4.5k who swore till he was purple there was never damage EVER only to eat his words when i pointed out the crowbar marks under the hood, bad respray job, the new manifold, new alternator, new radiator, new condenser new shocks ... you get the idea, there's always one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

A friend of mine has one of those Jr's - 5 door, 2.0 petrol, Auto.

Frankly, it's awful. Never gives any trouble mind, not light in juice, but 100% reliable.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    A friend of mine has one of those Jr's - 5 door, 2.0 petrol, Auto.

Frankly, it's awful. Never gives any trouble mind, not light in juice, but 100% reliable.
    I'd say that's a pajero pinin?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I'd say that's a pajero pinin?
    That rings a bell alright. Same-ish thing, yes ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

That rings a bell alright. Same-ish thing, yes ?
    pajero juniors are 1.1

• Advertisement

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    pajero juniors are 1.1

Ah.
    Quality would be same though?

Ode To The Motorist

Pajero juniors are enlarged Pajero minis, which themselves are based on the Minica kei car. The pinin is a bit bigger.

Ah.
    Quality would be same though?
    Not sure what the quality is like in the pinin but It's poor enough in the junior imo.

Just got to Drive one today for the first time today .. a 1997 Mk2 version and out of every car we've driven this was the first car that really had me grinning from ear to ear !

VERY smooth ride, and the driving position heaven for me, (I'm 6ft and didn't feel cramped at all) I don't get why people say they are bumpy - maybe the roads here are just so bad the suspension worked better than everything else we drove.

Literally everything about it looked like a brand new showroom car - less worn and better looking interior than those 2004 Honda City's we looked at (for 2000 euro more with the same milage) - nice "clunk" feel and sound to everything (we had checked out a 2009 Izuzu crosswind earlier for the laugh and I swear they use recycled Heinz beans cans for the doors).

Auto Gearbox, seems nice and smooth and kick down working perfectly, 4wd box engaging/disengaging properly.

No Knocks bumps, dents etc on the paintwork - I know its resprayed as its a RHD/LHD conversion (a very well done conversion) but honestly EVERYTHING is resprayed here anyhow, its the done thing as paint goes-off after 10 years no matter what car you have if its parked outside due to the heat and pollution.

Engine felt really lively in the traffic, no weird noises whatsoever - very quiet cruising but certainly not lacking in a bit of poke when you floor it.

I only got to drive it in moderate Traffic so far - think I'll be going back on wednesday to seal the deal after a highway spin to confirm the box is shifting nicely.

Specs:
    Jap import a year ago
    101,000km's
    1.1 L
    Interior all original the owner added leather seats, brand new tires all round which will save a few bob, brakes 100%.

It's 4100 Euro appx once I bargained a bit - the going price over here on them is 5k.

Anyone want to chime in with final thoughts ?

Dreams dashed - New rehash of a 2002 Law got implemented over here 3 days ago!! It effectively banning sales of Imported Cars and looking to seize or restrict the usage of "grey import" cars anytime after 2002 ..

F@#k ... back looking at Rav4's oh well ...

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭bertson

Sorry for hijacking the thread;

Does a 1996 Pajero qualify for a class/vintage insurance? - less than 3k miles per year

Cheers
    B

Advertisement