Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Divorcing for home ownership

• 16-02-2013 9:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

My parents are separated 20 years this year. As part of the separation agreement my father paid the mortgage and the family home was put in both names. My mother continues to live there. Although the agreement stated that my father was to maintain the house my mother has never asked him for any money for this. The house is now mortgage free. Just before the separation my father inherited a house only in his name, mortgage free which he lives in. My mother is now looking into getting a divorce so that she can claim for complete ownership of the family home. Is it likely that she gets awarded the family home.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Are they still on speaking terms?. If so they could try mediation and draw up a legally binding agreement where she keeps the house she's in and he keeps his. Then when they get divorced the judge would rubber stamp that agreement.
    Would your father agree to that?.

If they're not talking your mother needs to see a solicitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

They aren't on speaking terms but I might be able to get my dad into mediation if it's likely the judge will sign over the house to my mother anyway. My mother can get legal aid but it's likely to cost my father a bit of money so I can put this side of the argument to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 KTMurphy

I am in a similar situation, could you let me know how this all turned out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭SVI40

My mother was in the same situation, except her name was never on the house, nor had she inheritance rights to it. She went for divorce to get it transferred to her (my father already had a second house). He fought tooth and nail, but she got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Man pays mortgage,Now only looking for divorce to get a house.

If that were me i'd fúck her out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭SVI40

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Man pays mortgage,Now only looking for divorce to get a house.

If that were me i'd fúck her out

Like it or not, when you get married the house becomes the family home. As such both parties have a share in it. Not sure if it is 50 / 50, but the courts can decide on the allocation of the split as they see fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Please check that you are replying to current threads.
    0ph0rce0 - post like that in this forum again and it will result in an immediate ban.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement