Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of going on WHV

Options
  • 16-02-2013 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

Im thinking of applying for a WHV before im old. I'll be 31 in september so I really have to make up my mind soon.

How long does it take for the visa application to come through?

Im thinking of going maybe in August or September.

Another question, what if I end up loving the place and want to stay?

Is a second year visa out of the question since il be 31?

Or if I magically got more money and could go earlier, like in may, do 3 months work (june, july, aug) and apply for the 2nd year visa just a couple of days before im 31?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

I'm pretty sure a 2nd WHV is completely out of the question for you, but someone with more knowledge on it than me will tell you better. From what I recall you can't get a 2nd Visa until your first is about to run out and you can't get a second visa when you're 31...

As for how long? Can take as little as 1 day to be completed.

In terms of whether that's it, there are plenty of visa routes to go through. A little more information on your experience, qualifications etc would help others on here understand whether that'll be that for you or whether you do have options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Russian Blue

I think with my qualification my only option is the WHV. Im a qualified veterinary nurse.

I also have an ordinary degree in hotel management but never used it.

Is there much work over there. I would probably do any type of work.

The sooner I decide and have some plans together, the better. Its all ideas and a dream for now. But something I would like to to do before I get too old. And its now or never.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod Please read the sticky (FAQ)

as for the 2nd year visa
    be aged between 18 and 30 years (inclusive) at the time of applying, however, you may be aged over 30 years of age at the time your visa is granted

so it looks like you can apply before you hit 31 and be granted the 2nd WHV

hussey wrote: »
    Mod Please read the sticky (FAQ)

as for the 2nd year visa

so it looks like you can apply before you hit 31 and be granted the 2nd WHV

So he can go over on his first WHV between now and September and then apply for his second WHV before he turns 31 and it'll be granted? Even if that's the case I think he'll struggle to get the 88 days regional work completed to meet the criteria of the 2nd WHV in a reasonably short space of time.

I would love to go. But don't think i'll make it there until August, so the second year is out.

I can go for a year anyway. But thought of coming back to nothing here.

I have looked into employer sponsorship on 457 visa, as thats another option.

Is there a minimum salary for the employer to pay to get sponsorship? I read on a different website you have to be paid over 50,000 a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

AFAIK about the min salary, as long as you are earning the same as a resident who is doing the same job then I think it is ok, could be wrong:pac:

rightyabe wrote: »
    AFAIK about the min salary, as long as you are earning the same as a resident who is doing the same job then I think it is ok, could be wrong:pac:

There is a minimum salary. $50000 sounds familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

The TSMIT is $51400 they are also it seems over the last few days reviewing the rules for 457, it seems they are bringing back Labor Market Testing and making being sponsored more difficult than it was.

http://www.irishecho.com.au/2013/02/23/govt-takes-aim-at-457-visa-scheme/23627

Thanks for the info.

I think australia is completely out of the question. I dont like the idea of being back after a year. I want to work rather than holiday. Should be on about 40k in australia, so there's not a hope i'll get sponsorship if they have to pay me more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

irishmover wrote: »
    There is a minimum salary. $50000 sounds familiar.

I don't think that's right, because if it is I know someone only making 40,000 basic salary that has been sponsored. Lots of them actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

token101 wrote: »
    I don't think that's right, because if it is I know someone only making 40,000 basic salary that has been sponsored. Lots of them actually.

It's defnitely right, the postion cannot be nominated for anything les than the base salary* TSMIT.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/temporary-skilled-migration-threshold.htm

Depends on which year they got sponsored as it increases 4-5% 1st July each year.

2009 $45220
    2010 $47480
    2011 $49330
    2012 $51400

*base salary excludes.

Superannuation
    Incentive-based payments and bonuses
    Monetary allowances
    Overtime or Penalty rates

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

mandrake04 wrote: »
    It's defnitely right, the postion cannot be nominated for anything les than the base salary* TSMIT.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/temporary-skilled-migration-threshold.htm

Depends on which year they got sponsored as it increases 4-5% 1st July each year.

2009 $45220
    2010 $47480
    2011 $49330
    2012 $51400

*base salary excludes.

Superannuation
    Incentive-based payments and bonuses
    Monetary allowances
    Overtime or Penalty rates

Is that before or after tax, i'm guessing before..

Ok it turns out I could be earning the minimum salary for sponsorship. The salary varies in different parts of the country.

I could get 50-55k a year in Perth or Melbourne. But its about 40-45k in Sydney.

Now, I just have to decide should I go for it?

For the fun of it, I even applied for a job thats starting in may. So i'll see if anything comes out of it. It'll be so much easier if I got work before going. I'm not sure how I feel going over to nothing. Im terrified it'll be the same as here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I'm not sure how I feel going over to nothing. Im terrified it'll be the same as here.

If what was the same as here? Jobs and work climate? Obviously not the same or people wouldnt spend so much time and money and separation anxiety from family just to get there.

For your second year, if you dont succeed in a 457, you could always get on the BUNAC IEP for another year. Or goto NZ. Or do both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I'm in the same boat O.P. I have my WHV and I'm thinking of going in the next few months. I'm 31 now so I can't get a 2nd WHV. I have a degree and my work history has been in temporary administrative positions so judging by the base salaries I don't think my chances of getting sponsored would be good. Nevertheless I will probably go just to get work experience in a different environment. The gap on my C.V. is becoming wider and wider it'll only get worse if I stay.

Advertisement