Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixing a Flashlight

• 16-02-2013 10:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭

Posted in Cycling aswell but I figure someone in here might know:

Hi, my favourite light has become unusable with a fairly common problem Ive seen in a few lights now, namely the LEDs still work and the batteries are full and it works 60% of the time but if it gets any kind of knock at all like the bike going over bumps it just dies instantly.

Sometimes you can just switch it on again straight away, sometimes you have to give it a rattle and pop the batteries out and in again.

I think the problem is that it has one of those clicky switches that are just a button with no on/off position, you just press it once for on, again for strobe and again for off.

If it was just a cheap Ebay light Id replace it but Id love to fix it, it takes 3 AA batteries and is super bright, best light I ever had and totally unmissable on the road. I dont suppose theres some simple trick to this problem? It cant be disassembled besides the way Ive shown in the pics anyway, its all moulded:

S8cUSvA.jpg?1

DcQPGBk.jpg?2

x693y4z.jpg?2

EDIT: I stretched those springs with a small pliers a bit aswell to hold the battery in place better but it made no difference, theres no corrosion anywhere either it looks brand new everywhere.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

have you tried some switch spray,
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/11946146/art/electrovision/super-servisol-10-switch.html

dont know where you are based but I have a can and you spray the contact if its sitcky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yes an IT friend of mine said the same thing, same brand as the one you reccomend funnily enough, Im going to try that next time Im at his house, he says its great stuff but I dont hold out much hope, if its related to bumps when you go over rough ground I dont see how this will help but ill try thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if vibration then it's a dogdy contact or mechanical fault or corrosion

and it may be in the sealed part - so soldering may be needed

3 AA's sounds like it may not be as expensive as the 2 AA ones and remember Ireland has a very damp climate compared to most places which might be wetter but where stuff dries out quicker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Thargor wrote: »
    Sometimes you can just switch it on again straight away, sometimes you have to give it a rattle and pop the batteries out and in again.

I think the problem is that it has one of those clicky switches that are just a button with no on/off position, you just press it once for on, again for strobe and again for off.
    I had the same problem with a LED torch being used on a bike. Stretching the springs worked for me, you might want to try stretching a little more.

As its a clicky switch I figure the moment it gets a knock it can mean the batteries lose contact for a millisecond and it sees this as a button press and turns off. So by having better springs it stops this.

I also put rubber around the area where it attaches/clamps to the frame. This dampens any vibrations. You can see a simliar job here
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/earthworm/831854834/

Advertisement