Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beast of Ballyhoura 2013

Options
  • 16-02-2013 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Almost can't belive that I'm posting about this event so early. Last year the event sold out and this year we hope to open up even more places. We've just had good news this week that the race will form part of the European Adventure Race Series. This is a first for any race outside mainland Europe!

Get your team sorted now as we'll be making our newsite live soon and online entry will open thereafter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Highly recommend this event

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Irishrm

I'm looking for a team to compete with in this years event so if anyone is short a team member can you consider making contact with myself for a quick chat on what you might expect from a participant. I'm currently training for the London marathon with an aim of getting sub 3.05 and have experience mounting biking on different trails throughout the country mostly the trails in Ballyhoura. Plenty of experience kayaking including the Ocean to City in Cork last year. I'm lacking on the orienteering skills which I will work on if I can secure a place on a team. All the best to each team taking part.

Undecided about this but may be on the lookout for a team myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Waylander79

If any team is looking for another member or even two members myself and a friend would be interested in giving it a go. We both have good levels of fitness and can handle bikes, kayaks etc. My friend can navigate, he's off to conquer Everest in a months time. I have basic navigation skills. Let me know if anyone is looking for some team members!!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

This is something I would love to do. Couldn't navigate myself out of a co council car park though, which could be a problem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

You just need one navigator on a team (but it's always good to have one other who can be a back-up too). The majority of adventure racers can't navigate.

Enduro wrote: »
    You just need one navigator on a team (but it's always good to have one other who can be a back-up too). The majority of adventure racers can't navigate.

Enduro if you need anyone to hold up the other end of your tow line just give me a shout! :D

Waylander79, Shotgunmcos, Oryx... fancy just forming our own team? Are any of you of the female variety per chance?

I live in Cork just outside Blarney.

Irishrm wrote: »
    Waylander79, Shotgunmcos, Oryx... fancy just forming our own team? Are any of you of the female variety per chance?

I live in Cork just outside Blarney.
    I was of the female variety last time I checked.

I wouldn't be of the female variety I'm afraid and I'm in Nenagh, Co. Tipp. I'd be a bit wary of putting an inexperienced team together but maybe Enduro could give us his opinion on that. I'd assume ideally we'd want at least one veteran of the event to lead the team but maybe I'm wrong. I know shotgunmcos did it last year so maybe he'd be confident in leading a team or maybe there are other experienced people looking for a few teammates?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

It's always going to be better to have one experienced person, but its not at all necessary. Everybody starts somewhere! My first race was a 5-day race and we had no experience on the team at all :) 13 years later, and I'm still doing these things, so that says something! Plenty of advice is available anyway, not least right here.

Onyx,Waylander plus mate, can we put a team together? I'm with Enduro, you have to start somewhere...

Might be up for a boards team. My racing season down the tube so this could be something fun to look forward to. 6 weeks out now, dying to get any form of cardio done:(

Thanks shotgunmcos, so can I count you in? So that's potentially two... Onyx, Waylander79, are you to be team members 3 and 4?

Need to get back to some training safely before I commit to any event. Did this with Enduro last year. Completely underestimated it and made the most basic Noob mistakes that magnified many times over as the weekend progressed :o Learned stacks though and mostly from the legend himself. I thought I was fit but I was the one holding the team back towards the end!

Cool, if anyone else thinks they can commit to entering a team or are one short give me a shout...

Leave it with me until tomorrow guys, I'll have to check to make sure I can make it first. No point signing up and then dropping out!

Sorry to only get back to this now. I cant do this this year, in all honesty I would be a liability. I can't mtb to save my life, don't even own an mtb, and haven't enough time to get competent.

Guys unfortunately I can't commit this early in the year. The Beast wouldn't be my main goal of the year so I won't know if I'm on track against my main goal and therefore in a position to consider the Beast until later in the summer so I'm afraid count me out of forming a team this early. Good luck though, hopefully I might be able to opt in later in the year with some desperate team (they'd have to be pretty desperate!!)

Advertisement