Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query on utilities when purchasing

Options
  • 16-02-2013 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi folks, I'm a soon to be first time buyer just started the process but one of the things which I'm not sure of is how the change over works for utilities such as Bord Gais / ESB.

I've always been renting so never had my name on any of bills for these companies but will obviously want the heating / electricity to be on when I move in and to only be billed from the day of closing house purchase.

do I need to do anything before the sale is closed or is it just a case of ringing them up that day and changing accounts to the new account / give my details?

I can give them a call Monday but its the first time I've been through this process so just not sure what to expect and would appreciate hearing from other peoples experience.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭ladysarah

On the day the sale closes make sure your solicitor gets MPRN number for ESB and GPRN for gAs . This will be required by whatever supplier you choose to go with. Read the meter and ring 1850372372 for ESB. If you have gas go with ONE company for both gas and electric as you will save about 14 per cent.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

usually the people moving out will ring in their readings as they wont want to be paying for your esb&gas

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

ladysarah wrote: »
    On the day the sale closes make sure your solicitor gets MPRN number for ESB and GPRN for gAs . This will be required by whatever supplier you choose to go with. Read the meter and ring 1850372372 for ESB. If you have gas go with ONE company for both gas and electric as you will save about 14 per cent.

Not necessarily. Im with Flogas and ESB. Works out cheapest for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

ladysarah wrote: »
    The discount's on electric only. No discount on gas. And i think it's only on units and not standing charges or pollution tax or public service obligation or whatever else passes for tax these days. Essentially the discount can be so small that it can be cheaper to use separate suppliers regardless.

When i bought, the house was being lived in so electricity was already connected and it was just a case of signing a contract- no disruption in electricity supply.

Advertisement