Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTv

Options
  • 16-02-2013 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I was wondering what's in setting up a good CCTv system probably be a DIY job but I have some knowledge and the tools. I was thinking 4-6 Cameras but the main problem is there is a 150/200 meter gap between the dwelling house and the Yard. Ive heard there is a dish to dish system to bridge the gap as I dont want to run the cable. running the cables round the yard / house is not a problem. Plan I had was 2/4 cams wired to one dish then wireless to the house 2 more wired in the house. I want a decent recording box as well maybe a week before re writing. would also be handy to play on tv live or re run. any help greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Have a look at cctv direct to get an idea of the kit and prices. You could get a 4 channel transmitter and receiver kit for your barn, look 5.2 - 5.8 ghz kit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Give eye spy security a shout . Very good kits at great prices .. There located in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭LoveCoke

Give eye spy security a shout . Very good kits at great prices .. There located in Dublin
    Youhave to send the images through their servers?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 rossie08

Unless you are registered with PSA under new regulations you cannot install a CCTV system so would advise threading carefully. The wireless option is not an option in todays climate as a blocker bought for €50 can easily take this out and leave you with no signal. Also if you want remote access the best way is via your electrical system. If the yard is connected under the same esb meter it will cost you about €30 to sort this end out and you can review on any pc or smart phone anywhere in the world be it at home or abroad.
    The other considerations you need are lighting, IP rating of the cameras in Ireland should be 66 as 65 cameras cannot handle the humidity especially during winter months, IR distance, Lense type ie fixed or varifocal - Manufacturer both board and lense - TVL or pixel, Analogue or digital.
    The DVR considerations are even greater, most use SATA HDD now and dependent on manufacturer it can last you 1 year and a day or 3 years and a 1TB drive will cost you around €150 to replace outside warranty, then there is your remote connection requirements, most Chinese DVRs use an Meye variant whilst Korean ones use Bebo or something of that ilk, remote management plays a key role as well going forward especially if you want to remote record and download and the various formats available to you especially when you get into AVI CODEC. Some work, others don't, on European standards.
    A good system at the level you are at should cost you trade between €1000 and €1500 without accessories, connectors and installation. Anything bellow this is cheap everyday crap that wont give you the result you need when you need it. Thrust me on this as I have handled nearly every system out there in the last 15 years and worked closely with customers and Garda when the situation arose and required the input of a professional installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

rossie08 wrote: »
    Unless you are registered with PSA under new regulations you cannot install a CCTV system so would advise threading carefully.

As far as I know, (somebody please correct me if I'm incorrect) anyone can DIY install a CCTV system for themselves without the need for a PSA licence - it's doing it for somebody else that is the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

wait4me wrote: »
    As far as I know, (somebody please correct me if I'm incorrect) anyone can DIY install a CCTV system for themselves without the need for a PSA licence - it's doing it for somebody else that is the problem.

That's correct.

you better recheck the regs so.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Are you saying someone can't DIY install a CCTV system?

9. CCTV Installation
    9.1 Competence
    9.1.1 The installation shall be carried out by installers with the necessary training and
    experience. Installers shall have the appropriate tools and test equipment necessary to
    install the CCTV system correctly. Where measuring equipment is used, the equipment
    must be of a standard necessary to provide the required precision and accuracy to install
    and test the system.
    9.1.2 Prior to commencing work all relevant health and safety requirements shall be considered.
    These will vary with the nature of the premises and may involve special installation
    equipment when working in hazardous areas.
    9.1.3 Electrical installation methods shall comply with current national and site regulations and
    the electrical installation shall be carried out by technicians who are qualified to the
    appropriate level.

Show me where DIY is mentioned as sanctioned in these.

You could take any standards and ask where DIY is sanctioned. That does not mean its illegal or not allowed.
    Where's the planning permission bit?

• Advertisement

The use of CCTV in public places is against the law, except under certain stringent conditions laid down by the data protection commissioner.

Business owners are allowed to place CCTV cameras outside but only to cover the exterior of their premises.

Other than that, the only CCTV sanctioned for use in public places is community CCTV which is under the control of the Gardaí and or the local authorities.

Any other questions?

That's the standards laid down by the PSA the regulating body since October last year. Check their website you'll find all the relevant info there.

Are you registered? If this is your business, don't you know your obligations and responsibilities, the guidelines you and your customer have to operate under and the laws governing your activities?

Business owners are allowed to place CCTV cameras outside but only to cover the exterior of their premises.
    But you said in another post
    Not true, if its pointing onto the street and you are recording the image you have to have planning permission plus highly visible signs indicating cctv.

This has gone on enough. Not sure what it is but you appear to have some other agenda here. To the OP self installation of a DIY system is fine. If you want clarification ask a local guard. I have worked with the Guards in many instances gathering images from lots of systems without planning permission & without signs.
    Come to think of it do a search on You Tube for Garda. Were all these recording made illegally as well.
    The OPs questions have been answered.
    Locked!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement