Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple Accounts

Options
  • 17-02-2013 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭

I was just reading the "Prison" forum and in one of the threads, an admin banned a man because he had multiple accounts. I guess admins figure this out by checking the IP address and MAC address (I think?) that the profile was created from.

Everyone nowadays has iPhones and laptops to access to Internet, but what happened in the olden days - around pre-2006/2007 - when the family shared the computer, was it okay to have multiple accounts from one PC and IP address?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

If I was to hazard a guess I'd say that the admins didn't have the resources/time etc to check and the site would have been too small for them even to bother doing so.

Different ball game these days though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Multiple accounts per IP are fine, and often unavoidable given the arrangements of the mobile providers. It's multiple accounts per person that isn't allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Spear wrote: »
    Multiple accounts per IP are fine, and often unavoidable given the arrangements of the mobile providers. It's multiple accounts per person that isn't allowed.

How do you determine if someone has multiple accounts?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

How do you determine if someone has multiple accounts?

There won't be a detailed answer to that, suffice to say that the kind of abusers who re-reg after being sitebanned don't tend to be geniuses or able to refrain from being abusers, and soon attract attention.

Advertisement